So I bought an Iwata smart jet compressor of eBay. When it gets here apparently the owner used it for spray taning, and some how the reservoir tank is full of taning solution!!

I just email the guy hoping to get refunded, is it even possible to get this to work?!

So I bought an Iwata smart jet compressor of eBay. When it gets here apparently the owner used it for spray taning, and some how the reservoir tank is full of taning solution!!

I just email the guy hoping to get refunded, is it even possible to get this to work?!

You mean the tank that normally holds the compressed air is filled with the tanning stuff? If so, my eyes are rolling and cannot say I understand why they (the old owner) would do that? Even if you can get all that stuff out, not sure how you would clean it enough to use... What would it do to the paint when that 'air' mixed???

Good luck!

Sounds like perhaps the original owner wasn't using a moisture trap.

Airbrush tanning, one of the ills of our modern society. I mean seriously, there are people who want to be airbrushed bronze?

There's no way Tanning solution or anything else could get in there, I think you have a build up of rusty water and oil from the cylinder, you really need to drain the tank, run the compressor with the valve open to flush out as much of the residue as possible.

It really shouldn't be a problem as long as you run a filter and moisture trap.

However, if you feel you need to return it, you are protected by Pay Pal, if the seller refuses to accept it back, file a claim with PP and you will get your money back, it very easy as a buyer to get refunded.

Curt

here are the pics and msg exchange

please tell me if im wrong.

Dear doutlet,

Hi, compressor arrived today all good.

Just one question, did you put paint in the air trap?

Dear pep1205,

Hi, not sure what the air trap is. We bought it new and my wife used it for spray tanning. It is a water like brown/rust color water based solution. So, it was never used with real paint. Now, if you're refering to the air tank; the air tank stores the produced air. Depending on the climate, humidity A/C etc, there would be condensation forming in there. It has to be purged from time to time by pulling that ring in the middle of the valve. You should hold a piece of disposable cloth becaude that water is always colored/dirty.

Hope this answers the question.

Thanks.

Val

- doutlet

Dear doutlet,

Hello again,

when i received the compressor there was "spray solution" in the water trap (the small clear glass bottle) as i am cleaning more spilled all over my office. it sounds like the tank is full of this stuff.

how did you get it in there? there isn't supposed to be any solution in any part of the compressor, just wait and maybe some water in the moisture trap.

- pep1205

Dear pep1205,

The small glass bottle should collect moisture in it. When is about half you should purge it by holding a piece of paper towel under the glass piece and push up that piece of metal in the middle. All the water collected there would come out in that paper towel. It has to be repeated when it is about half full.

- doutlet

Dear doutlet,

I understand that, but this is not water this is some sort of brown liquid which I assume is either makeup or taning solution

- pep1205

Dear pep1205,

It is very normal for water to accumulate in the big tank and the little glass jar. The big tank has a purging valve where you empty it and the clear jar has a valve to empty it. The compressor sucks air from the sorrounding environment. If you paint with red there would be red particles in the air and that water in there would be red. You can unscrue the jar rinse it with water and put it back if the color bothers you.

- doutlet

Dear doutlet,

I just flushed the tank, the amount of fluid that came out is not normal, not is it dirty water. If you want I can show you pinctures. I need to know how this got in there so I can try and clean this up. I know how compressor work I have been using them for about 15 years. This is not "usual"

- pep1205

Dear pep1205,

The water builds up from condensation just like the A/C unit in the house or the car. When you're parked and the A/C is running, under the car there will be a puddle of water. Sometimes there is a lot, sometimes there is a little depending on the humidity and temperature. That tank collects water that has to be purged from time to time.

That tank fills up with air from the atmosfere. When you use an airbrush there is tons of overspray in the air. That overspray gets sucked in with the regular air. If you use a water based paint the paint gets disolved in the water. If you use an oil or mineral based paint there will be tons of deposits like dust/soil in that water because they don't disolve and they will just fall at the bottom of the tank. That's why it's got the tiny particle filter in the jar so the paint brush doesn't get clogged with those particles. The jar unscrews and can be rinsed with water and so can the filter. For people that use mineral or oil based paint that filter has to be changed. In my case we used water based solution that rinses with water. One drop of that solution in a glass of water will make the water look like cocoa. It does have a brown die in it so you can see where you're spraying.

Anyhow, on any compressor the tanks will never have clean water in them. They are made of cast iron that rusts. So, every time you purge a tank it will have dirty rusted water coming out. I have a DeWalt at home in the garage (clean air) and every time I purge it the water comes out rusty.

Here is a very interesting forum about compressor purging. It covers a lot if you have the patience to scroll down and read all the replies. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-power-machinery-tools-sharpening/368832-air-compressor-tank-draining-rust.html

Thanks

Val

- doutlet

End of msg exchange

I'm waiting for input from you guys before my next msg.

AM i mistaken? is this normal?

or was he running this in the depths of the Mississippi?

Put some in your airbrush and paint something....

He must have never purged it, did you say he lived in Florida???

Does it feel oily?? I live in the High Desert and get condensation in mine (20 Gal Craftsman) it looks like that and feels a bit oily, I drain mine about every 6 months but only get about 1/4 to 1/2 cup out of it, but it does look similar to what you have there.

Curt

Hi Metz. No it doesn't feel oily in fact it dries up pretty fast, and I'm able to clean it with windex. I'm in Florida but the compressor came from Texas.

Edited by Pep

Looks like you have the Iwata POWER Jet compressor. I have the same issue with my Power Jet from time to time, though only a tiny amount of brownish water, and is normal. It looks like you got to the drain valve for the air tank, just tip it back and let the water drain out.

Edit to add: Here is the manual from Iwata's website. Draining the air tank is mentioned on page 10. It just appears the previous owner never drained it.

Edited by Model-Junkie

So I did some more fiddling yesterday, tried to flush out some more gunk, and found this. this is the line that feeds from the pistons to the tank;

why would there be "rust" in this hose?

photo12be.jpg

photo22ka.jpg

More conversation

Dear doutlet,

Hello again, what ever this is it is impossible to clean up. I spent half the night trying to flush the tank and the stuff just keeps coming. It is even found in the hose that goes from the pistons to the tank so it can't just be rust.

I'm sorry but at this point I need to ask for a refund.

- pep1205

Dear pep1205,

There used to be a store named Syms that sold high dollar clothing items at very low prices. Mostly closeouts, discontinuued or out of season items from expensive stores. They had a motto that at the time I've found very intriguing, but that was just me, because they knew exactly what they were saying. Their motto was: "AN EDUCATED CONSUMER IS OUR BEST CUSTOMER" and it is still up today on their web site (first line) http://syms.com/

Now, back to our thing. Even though I've never stated in the item description anything about returns/refunds, I don't have a problem refunding you the price of the compressor once I receive it in the same working condition. However, shipping costs will have to be absorbed by you.

And I will only do that, if you promise/guarantee that you won't retaliate by leaving a negative/neutral feedback.

If you look at my feedback left on Oct-20-12 12:03 you'd find a similar compressor used by my wife in the same manner for the two months she was doing this spray tanning thing. But that guy was an educated consumer that knew what he bought and for how much and didn't analize the matter in the "colon" of the compressor.

I'm 50 years old, and the statement "I spent half the night trying to flush the tank" sounds like something my kids would say. Cleaning that tank if you really, really, wanted to do a "colon cleansing" would take 5 to 10 min. It has a drain plug in the back that you unscrew, pour water in it, shake it and drain it. Repeat maybe a couple of times and there you go, the tank is clean. Screw back the drain plug and you're done. Not half the night but only a few minutes.

This is an expensive item made by a great company that stands by it's product (they'll overhaul it for $50) and if you don't know what you've bought it's ok, someone else will.

Again, if you're not happy, send it back for the purchase price of $290.00. (Note i payed $25 which according to Ebay he has to pay back, i know i need to pay for the return shipping)

- doutlet

Did you save the original shipping box and materials? If the shipping box & label survived & it was shipped via USPS, one option would be to re-box the thing exactly as it arrived seal it up & mark return to sender. Keep track of the tracking number and you should be set. I've done this a couple of times and USPS did not make a fuss as technically you are refusing a package and its going back to the sender. I once had a package for a couple of weeks before I returned it to the sender, though the package was not opened.

@ model-junkie I might try that but the label was cut since it was affixed where the top lids meet :/

@ Jason $315 total ($290 for compressor $25 for shipping)

Unfortunately USPS will not accept a return if the label is not intact and new postage will have to be paid.

I will check the hose on my power jet when I go home to see if there is any rust in there. I haven't used my compressor in a good 6 months and still found some moisture in the tank when I opened up the drain valve last night.

Please let me know, I actually am torn on this. I think it was a good price so I'm hoping the problem is fixable but It just doesn't seem right to have all that water in there.

@ model-junkie I might try that but the label was cut since it was affixed where the top lids meet :/

@ Jason $315 total ($290 for compressor $25 for shipping)

:jaw-dropping: Geez, how much do these things cost new?

I got a pretty nice compressor for airbrushing that is reasonably quiet and has a 1 gallon air tank for about $90 retail at my local shop. Was a knock off of the really nice Aztec compressor.

I've heard all the raves about Iwata, but what is the justification for that cost? What do the Iwata's do that your average compressor doesn't?

Usually they go for $600 new I figured I was getting a good deal, evidently not :/

I wanted something with a tank and there's no way I can aford a new iwata one. I might end up getting the paashe one with the tank