Air Nat'l Guard Markings Question

I hope someone can answer a question about Air National Guard aircraft markings. Looking at some of the profiles on Wings Palette, it appears that after World War II these aircraft had markings that were a bit more prominent or distinctive, often with bold script, identifying the state unit. Today, these are nearly absent. The Air National Guard aircraft of the various states seem almost indistinguishable from USAF types. Is this really the case? And if so, why? Could this be a sign of the gradual erosion of the tradition of Federalism, and the increasing centralization of political power in our country? Not that I'm saying this concentration of decisionmaking authority is a good thing, or bad, just pointing it out.

I remember reading that prior to World War I, some state infantry units were even stripped of their state designations. The 69th New York became the 165th US Infantry, the 4th Ohio became the 166th US Infantry, the 4th Alabama became the 167th US Infantry, and the 3rd Iowa became the 168th US Infantry.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Edited by vimana

Think its more a matter of camouflage . Do you really want a big bold black "TEXAS ANG" on the wings of a F-16? Also cost, the repainting of aircraft as they rotate between units/ states.

The ANG units still manage to have something distinctive on the tails, (most units not all).

Most strictly-ANG units still have some identifier, usually in the form of a band on the tail, and perhaps other unit logos. But another thing to consider is that many units, particularly in the AF Reserve, are "composite" wings (I don't remember if that is that actual designation) which share aircraft and other resources with the active duty side of the house.

Reading this thread makes me want to paint my 1/72 E-8C in old school Georgia ANG colors. Polished aluminum with huge yellow and black bands on the front. A massive yellow triangle on the tail and ANG-042 on the wing

The large titles on the fuselage (ex: CALIF AIR GUARD) were eliminated in 1961. At that point they started using "U.S. AIR FORCE" on the fuselage, with the state name on the tail.

146th AW C-130s have big bold letters above main gear "CALIFORNIA AIR GUARD" just like all other states have their state names.

The 144th FW F-16's have the State name on the lower tail, do they have U.S. AIR FORCE, in large bold letters on any fighter these days? Other then special schemes.

Is interesting how people bring up stuff like the OP did tho. I think, like you more or less are writing with the date stuff. Bold ANG letter pretty much went away when ANG was flying F-86s etc.

Guessing people are actually talking about older colorful schemes and not necessarily if the squadron/wings were ANG or USAF etc.

Edited by Wayne S

146th AW C-130s have big bold letters above main gear "CALIFORNIA AIR GUARD" just like all other states have their state names.

The 144th FW F-16's have the State name on the lower tail, do they have U.S. AIR FORCE, in large bold letters on any fighter these days? Other then special schemes.

Is interesting how people bring up stuff like the OP did tho. I think, like you more or less are writing with the date stuff. Bold ANG letter pretty much went away when ANG was flying F-86s etc.

Guessing people are actually talking about older colorful schemes and not necessarily if the squadron/wings were ANG or USAF etc.

They don't have that in place of the US AIR FORCE marking. Prior to 1961 they did.