New 1/48 Spitfire Mk. IX from Eduard

Five-spoked wheel hubs? On Mk.IX?

Yes, a perfectly normal situation, and in some cases right through to the end of the war; the four-spoke (introduced on the VIII & XIV) was only mandatory for aircraft with bombs under the wings (which appears to be an option in the kit, but perhaps it would be better to wait until sprue shots are available?)

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

The only thing I worry about on this kit is that if they charge $24 for the 1:144 kit is the 1:48 kit going to be 3X as much? If so than at $72 I will suffer with the imperfections of the ICM kit.

The only thing I worry about on this kit is that if they charge $24 for the 1:144 kit is the 1:48 kit going to be 3X as much? If so than at $72 I will suffer with the imperfections of the ICM kit.

What price do you put on the holy grail? In any case, the Eduard MiG-21 is quite a lot less than $72, so I should think there's some hope the Spit will be more or less reasonably priced.

:bandhead2:

Stop putting up fake prices just because you are unable to buy selectively. Even on Eduard site, which is about 33% percent more expensive, they sell it for about 16 USD. And that is for TWO kits. Here, for 14.4.

:bandhead2:

Stop putting up fake prices just because you are unable to buy selectively. Even on Eduard site, which is about 33% percent more expensive, they sell it for about 16 USD. And that is for TWO kits. Here, for 14.4.

You never learn do you????? We went threw this a few times before. The prices on their sight varies depending what country you are logged in from. We went threw this with the Mig-21 and some others. For a young guy you have a very short memory.

You never learn do you????? We went threw this a few times before. The prices on their sight varies depending what country you are logged in from. We went threw this with the Mig-21 and some others. For a young guy you have a very short memory.

You could buy all those really nice ICM mk IX at e-bay and let us suffer with Eduard high prices...

No, just the opposite. It's not that much less expensive to produce a 1/144 kit than it is to produce a 1/48 kit. The cost of the kit is in the prep work, not the squeezing of the plastic into the mold. Just like decals, it doesn't cost 66.66% as much to produce a 1/72 sheet as a 1/48 sheet. A very commonly held misconception.

No, just the opposite. It's not that much less expensive to produce a 1/144 kit than it is to produce a 1/48 kit. The cost of the kit is in the prep work, not the squeezing of the plastic into the mold. Just like decals, it doesn't cost 66.66% as much to produce a 1/72 sheet as a 1/48 sheet. A very commonly held misconception.

I know that and you know that but the manufacturers take advantage of it and charge the prices anyway.

I know that and you know that but the manufacturers take advantage of it and charge the prices anyway.

Wrong, it's the retailers who set the selling price; the manufacturer sets the wholesale price to the retailer, and at a price which gives them a return on their outlay. He can only recommend the selling price, not dictate it; this is a commonly held misconception, which is regularly used to hammer the manufacturer.

In the U.K., a kit sold to an importer at £30, will be sold on to the retailer at £45, who will add on his (standard) 50% mark-up, plus the government tax of 20%, which will then set a kit price of £81. Out of his initial £30 the manufacturer might, if he's lucky, make £10.

When Airfix produced their 1/48 Spitfires and Lightnings, each individual item, in each mould, cost £1000, so a 150-piece kit cost £150,000; using the maths, above, that means that the manufacturer has to sell 15,000 kits, just to break even.

You always have the option of not buying the "overpriced" kits, or detailing the not so good models.

Indeed, we have been through this before and you have been proven wrong time after time. No, it is exactly you who is unable to learn.

Manufacturers set the MSRP, and Eduard sells their kits on their website at MSRP price. They have either two MSRP's or horrible conversion rate, as the kit cost 260 Cz Kronas, while in USD they show it as 19.99. As i already pointed out, they charge about 33% more than for example at Hobbyshop.cz. For obvious reasons.

Anything beyond that, that is retailers "fault". So if you buy the Spitfire for 24USD, you are paying about 10 usd into the pocket of the retailer and/or in taxes.

Please tell me: If this kit was priced at 100 USD in your LHS, while it was sold for 20USD or Eduard site (and remember, they are overpricing their kits at their own site), whos fault is the 100USD pricetag? Eduard's?

You always have the option of not buying the "overpriced" kits, or detailing the not so good models.

You are 100% correct. We will just wait and see. Here in the US it is the importers that sock it to the pricing. Here in the US we get nailed on anything made by Trumpeter, Grate Wall, Hobby Boss, Dragon,Eduard, and Italeri. All other kits are on par with international pricing. This is one of the reasons I order those kits from the UK, Czech Republic, Ukraine, and Russia directly. Even with the extreme price of the postage I can still save as much as 20% sometimes. Italeri I do not order at all. I just leave them alone. As much as I would love to have an Italeri Hurricane I will suffer threw the ARK kit from Russia. But in Eduard's case, they do charge more to the US distributors than to others and than that gets compounded here in the US. My hobby shop charges me 20% over his cost from the Distributor. This is why for example the new Revell HU-34 cost me only $12 but a Great Wall P-61 would be $75 for example. A Italeri garbage A-1 Skyraider is almost $10 more than the Tamiya Skyraider. Go figure. Since I do not require a Shake-N-Bake kit to build my subject I don't really mind sometimes. But Just Sometimes I would like to get a favorite subject that is relatively accurate. I'm still waiting for that F4U-4. It will be interesting to see what the new Hobby Boss 80387 Late version will look like since they got slammed with the first kit. That hing sells for about $44 bucks normally and I can get that Caricature at the LHS for about $39, but why!! It's not even worth building. At least the first version isn't. we will see with the new one when it comes out in late Nov. Eduard's pricing here in the US is exceptionally brutal due to their choice of distributors. I can get their kits from Hannants, Jadar or even Lucky Models with the postage for quite a bit less than from anyone here in the US.

Edited by Otto

I just took a look at the Eduard 1/144 spitfire PDF. I hope they do not waste a decal sheet with the undersized Czech decals like they did on the 1:144 kit. Those decals are no better in accuracy than the ICM kit decals for the Czech aircraft. The wing roundels did not get the white outline until the Flag on the tail got replaced with a roundel also and the outline was added to the outside of the existing ones on the wing. This makes the combination of markings inaccurate besides the size of the wing markings.

Edited by Otto

The Eduard Hellcat in 1/48 Profipack form has a $34.95 list at Squadron.com. Of course there will also be a Weekend edition at a discount (the 1:48 Hellcat in Weekend Edition form is $24.95 list).The Bf109E's are $39.95 List in Profi-pack form. So I'd expect a release price of $35-40 for the Spitfire for Profi-pack versions and then the Weekend Edition for $10 less. No doubt there will also be Royal Class and Limited Editions at higher prices with more in the box (Brassin stuff in varying amounts) and a few Dual Combo boxings.