BPK 1/72 Injection Molded 737-200 - here are the pics!

T-43s were non-advanced 737-200s as well. So some converting ("retroverting"?) will be necessary to make an accurate T-43, but I'm not sure how much.

Not true. The T-43 has all the features of the 737-200 Advanced. Check the engine pylons, and note the lack of blow-in doors on the nacelle just aft of the intake.

USAF_Boeing_T-43A_Marmet.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Generally, the easiest external differences are that the Krueger flap should extend to the wing root on the advanced model, but to the landing light housing on the basic model, and that the engine pylon on the advanced model covers the entire gap between the Krueger flap and slats. Beware: these features do not necessarily indicate an advanced model. These features were implemented incrementally on the production line, but all advanced aircraft had them. Also beware the lack of blow-in doors. These created a great deal of noise and many -100 and -200 series aircraft had them deleted by the addition of the later inlet from the advanced, and supposedly any aircraft with this new inlet has a longer inlet cone. No advanced model had blow-in doors. Conversion kits were also available from Boeing to convert any standard 737-200 to advanced standard. Many of the meat-and-potatoes differences between the advanced and basic models were internal, relating to avionics, structure and engines (beware the autopilot, as early advanced models had the same SP77 as the basic model, and the panel had symmetrical and asymmetrical layouts available, later advanced aircraft got the SP177). If the aircraft sounds like a table saw, it is probably an advanced (Some -200s had JT8D-9s). If it sounds like a politician, it is definitely not (no -200A had JT8D-7Bs).

The presence or lack thereof of an HF antenna only indicates that the customer wanted it (or did not, respectively).

Theoretically any airframe produced after 1972 would be an advanced model. #400 and onwards were all advanced models. I had previously erroneously stated the number as 135. Aircraft 135 was the first to get the new long nacelles with target reversers which were eventually retrofitted (as far as I know) to all previous airframes.

In summary: An advanced 737-200 is a 737-200 that has had all of the aerodynamic improvements made between 1967 and 1971 fitted, as well as higher-powered engines and a strengthened internal structure to increase MTOW and MLW.

In light of this, I think Boeing should ditch the confusing -7, -8, -9 notation for the 737Max and just add advanced to the end of the current series numbers. I mean, think about it: what codes will the airlines use? B73-8?

Edited by angry_android

In a nutshell, if it has the wider/deeper engine pylons (which all T-43s do) it's either an advanced or a later "basic" 737-200. The pylon is the easiest thing to see.

Edited by Jennings

Yum.......Aloha 737-200 on my mind.

Question on the kit design, why not go with individual hollow windows?

Because then you need individual clear window parts (more $$$), and they're a right royal PITA to mask. Also, if you want to do an airplane that has a different window arrangement (ie: 737-200C), you need a totally new fuselage half. The inset clear strip with computer cut vinyl masks that have the correct size, shape, and spacing seemed to me to be the best compromise for realism, ease of use, and economics. Apparently BPK agreed. There is no perfect solution to that problem.

Because then you need individual clear window parts (more $$$), and they're a right royal PITA to mask. Also, if you want to do an airplane that has a different window arrangement (ie: 737-200C), you need a totally new fuselage half. The inset clear strip with computer cut vinyl masks that have the correct size, shape, and spacing seemed to me to be the best compromise for realism, ease of use, and economics. Apparently BPK agreed. There is no perfect solution to that problem.

Yes, you absolutely rights. There is no perfect solution to that problem. But I think the this best, that can be done.

The kit is being advertised on amarket.pl.ua for a price of $84. Put me down for a couple!!!!!!

If I can have one arrive at my post office for 100USD, now THAT would be something!!!

P.S.: hope I'm not out of place here, but I never thought that the -200 enjoyed so much attention. My impression was that the -300 and -400 were THE Boeing 737s and one of those versions I would have hoped for to appear in kit form.

But then again, I'm an early 80's child :D

The -200 was also the variant with the greatest number produced over the longest production run.

Actually that's not even a little bit correct. Here's the production breakdown:

737-100: 30

737-200: 1114

737-300: 1113

737-400: 486

737-500: 389

737-600: 69

737-700: 1193

737-800: 2436 (1563 outstanding orders, total 3999!!) - not including P-8s

737-900: 929

So the 737-800 is far and away the most prolific variant, as important as the -200 was and is :) Any way you slice it though, the 737 is a pretty important piece of aviation history...

:)

J

The numbers I had put the -800 at 1026, obviously they were out of date. I must admit I haven't kept up on production figures over the last few years, so I assumed the numbers on Chris' site were updated.

It's interesting to note that the number of -800s produced or on order dwarfs the 727s production run of 1832, the DC-9 family's total run (through the 95) of 2439 (figure reached by adding production numbers of individual series), is 272 short of the 727 and DC-9 total production combined, and 1,000 short of the A320 family's entire production run to date (5264 as of September).

As of Monday, 7370 737s have been delivered, only a few hundred short of the grand total of 727, DC-9 and A320 (to date) production of 7703!

Edited by angry_android

Actually that's not even a little bit correct. Here's the production breakdown:

737-100: 30

737-200: 1114

737-300: 1113

737-400: 486

737-500: 389

737-600: 69

737-700: 1193

737-800: 2436 (1563 outstanding orders, total 3999!!) - not including P-8s

737-900: 929

So the 737-800 is far and away the most prolific variant, as important as the -200 was and is :) Any way you slice it though, the 737 is a pretty important piece of aviation history...

:)

J

Dear Jennings,

actually and not surprising you are the one who is not a little bit correct.

would be nice to see those 929 737-900 in real life.