BPK 1/72 Injection Molded 737-200 - here are the pics!

Every model kit producer should be made aware of the biggest potential problem with soft tires, not yet mentioned here. I have seen real rubber ones that don't look bad, included with car kits, BUT...some of the plastic materials used in others, specifically in kits like the AMT 1:48 Grumman Tigercat, for example, will eat through any styrene parts they come in contact with over time. This means that they will eventually dissolve the wheels they are mounted on if they are the wrong stuff!

I generally want nothing to do with soft tires if I can avoid them, for this very reason. Those of you who may have AMT kits with those tires (or other manufacturers' kits with similar items included) in your stash may want to check the current condition of them, assembled or not, & get those soft plastic jobs out of the box.

Removing the tires from this 737 kit & leaving them in contact with some styrene scrap for a month or 2 should tell the tale in this case. Over the span of a couple of years, those Tigercat tires left DEEP tread patterns embossed in styrene...fortunately on the bottom of a clear styrene parts drawer...

-Lars

Every model kit producer should be made aware of the biggest potential problem with soft tires, not yet mentioned here. I have seen real rubber ones that don't look bad, included with car kits, BUT...some of the plastic materials used in others, specifically in kits like the AMT 1:48 Grumman Tigercat, for example, will eat through any styrene parts they come in contact with over time. This means that they will eventually dissolve the wheels they are mounted on if they are the wrong stuff!

I generally want nothing to do with soft tires if I can avoid them, for this very reason. Those of you who may have AMT kits with those tires (or other manufacturers' kits with similar items included) in your stash may want to check the current condition of them, assembled or not, & get those soft plastic jobs out of the box.

Removing the tires from this 737 kit & leaving them in contact with some styrene scrap for a month or 2 should tell the tale in this case. Over the span of a couple of years, those Tigercat tires left DEEP tread patterns embossed in styrene...fortunately on the bottom of a clear styrene parts drawer...

-Lars

I thought I read somewhere that if the plastic wheels are coated in Klear/Future (or some other varnish, not sure) then the reaction between the plastic and rubber/vinyl didn't take place (or did so at a much slower rate).

Like I said, I'm not totally sure if this is correct.

I thought I read somewhere that if the plastic wheels are coated in Klear/Future (or some other varnish, not sure) then the reaction between the plastic and rubber/vinyl didn't take place (or did so at a much slower rate).

Like I said, I'm not totally sure if this is correct.

Back in the Middle Ages of plastic modeling, Airfix Magazine recommended painting plastic tank wheels with a dilute solution of PVC glue (i.e., "white" glue such as Elmer's brand) to prevent vinyl tank treads from dissolving them. PVC was also recommended for priming their soft plastic figures to make them easier to paint with hobby enamels.

If the tires in the new 737 kit are like those of modern car kits, they should not be a problem. But if they have a high vinyl content, they will melt the wheels they are installed on. I'd remove them from the kit in any case, and wait for some enterprising after-market resin caster to come up with suitable substitutes.

Edited by SkyKing918

Is the BPK kit suitable for building any one of these versions ?

737-214

737-222

737-247

737-275 Advanced

Cheers,

Haydn.

It would depend on the individual airframe. The last two numbers are just customer codes. Nothing else. A -2H4, for example, is one made for Southwest. -232 would denote United.

The individual aircraft could have all the spotting features of an Advanced but not be one as the external features were implemented on the -200 production line, so many late -200s have the external spotting features of the -200 Advanced, and many earlier models were retrofitted.

So you would need to know the configuration of any individual airplane that was not already an advanced model. Consult photos.

Actually a -232 would be Delta. A -222 would be United. :)

Here are front and side views showing the pylon difference. The wider/deeper pylons were a drag reduction measure that came in on the assembly line somewhere around line number 550 (if anyone knows for sure, I'd really appreciate knowing). Note the width of the pylon in the photos and the depth (how far down the side of the nacelle it goes) in the side views. All of the narrow pylon airplanes, and at least a good few of the wide pylons when first introduced retained the spring loaded blow-in doors around the outside of the nacelle. Those were often deleted later when noise reduction kits were developed.

J

737-200pylons.jpg

Thanks Jen

I think it was only the very first one...ZK-NAC, I have a feeling the rest were later ones. But I will have to check my books. I have a big book on NAC Aircraft and it has a huge section on the 737's. I had better check.

Cheers

Anthony

No, all of their machines were delivered fairly early on, including the one(s?) they bought from PSA. All had the narrow/shallow pylons. When it became Air NZ new a/c were ordered and were Advanced airplanes. But they didn't fly in NAC colors.

Actually a -232 would be Delta. A -222 would be United. :)/>

You're right, and Delta's code is exactly how I used to remember the formula for acetic acid (This rhyme incidentally helped several friends: "Margaret C-H-O flew on Delta's 737-232" - C2H3O2). Since I have spent a great deal of time doing things besides making airplane models since I was a teenager, I have long forgotten a lot of those.