1/350 P/L TOS Enterprise

No need to retro-fit an ERTL bridge now. The remastered Doomsday Machine Constellation has the standard bridge/BC deck profile. ;)

Making this beautiful representation of a Constitution class starship inaccurate on purpose just to copy a cheep budget miniature from Desi Lu is crazy man!

Jeff Waclawski of JT Graphics made a conversion B/C deck and bridge for the 1/1000 kit if you absolutly need to scratch that itch.

http://www.jt-graphics.com/images/JTR/JTR-001_box.jpg

Tracy

No need to retro-fit an ERTL bridge now. The remastered Doomsday Machine Constellation has the standard bridge/BC deck profile. ;)/>/>

I did notice that.
Making this beautiful representation of a Constitution class starship inaccurate on purpose just to copy a cheep budget miniature from Desi Lu is crazy man!
Point well taken, but once it appeared onscreen, it became canon! Besides, different ships of the same class often have differences, so not all Constitution Class ships need to be identical. Even the studio 11 foot model changed over time, so the different bridge/B/C decks of the Constellation are not a real error.
Jeff Waclawski of JT Graphics made a conversion B/C deck and bridge for the 1/1000 kit if you absolutly need to scratch that itch.

http://www.jt-graphics.com/images/JTR/JTR-001_box.jpg

Coool! But its the wrong scale...
  • 2 weeks later...

Much like the elusive Bigfoot, here is some photographic evidence that I have been working from time to time on my TOS kit. I was on a major roll during the holidays when I had a little over a week off straight, but once I went back to work on Jan 2nd it slowed to less then a creep. I had finished a bunch of round the house stuff earlier in the week in hopes of coming home this morning and Saturday/tomorrow morning and doing nothing but working on the kit on into the weekend but I ended up working overtime this morning. With all of the itmes that have started to interfere in the construction, I am now considering packing it up and putting in with the rest of my ever expanding in work projects.

IMG_4078_zps9078fc34.jpg

As I said earlier I was working on this one as a 2nd pilot/Mirror Universe ship with no lighting, I have narrowed it down to either the ISS Excalibur or ISS Defiant, figured those sounded more aggressive for a Mirror Universe ship. As for the kit itself, I have been finding minior sinking in the plastic in spots as you can see in the photo, such as the areas between the hangar door breaks and along the edge of the recesses in the warp nacelles. Another thing that was actually kind of a good thing was an example of just how heavy the construction is. After installing the parts on the inside of the secondary hull that are part of the support for the warp nacelle struts I went to dry/test fit the struts and could not get one of them back out, I really think I could have left that thing in there without glue and it would have never moved again but I added glue anyway.

KiowaFixer

Edited by kiowafixer

Be aware that ISS Defiant would more or less be the USS Defiant as the Enterprise two part episode "In a Mirror Darkly" worked nicely as a prequel to "Mirror Mirror" and a sequel to "The Tholian Web" as they revealed what happened to the USS Defiant after it got trapped in interphase.

Good point Jay, didn't think about that episode of Enterprise, and how could I forget with all those bare female midriffs. The wife really likes the movie "Excalibur" so I was leaning more that direction anyway, so I guess the decision is made.

KiowaFixer

• 3 weeks later...

Coool! But its the wrong scale...

Did you miss the point? Scratch that itch in 1/1000 scale. No need to jack up a beatiful $150 model. If you're just trying to shock folks, you win. I can't stop shaking my head in disbelief. :blink:

I don't see what the big deal is. If he wants to convert this model to look like the old AMT kit so it will look more a model used in the original seried then what's the problem? If he wanted to paint it pink and purple with greem polka-dots then what's the problem? It's his model. Just because it defies what you consider a reasonable use of a kit doesn't mean it's wrong. Just think, there are some modelers that buy old rare nd EXPENSIVE kits just so they can get a few parts that movie model makers used to create some of their movie props. To a collector of rare kits, it would be blasphamist, but to the movie prop replica modeler, it's a necessary thing.

Keep up the great work! Quesiton, if you're going to modify a polar lights kit to look like the AMT kit used in the series, would you have to purposely mess up the alignment on the warp nacelles? :woot.gif:/>

Bill

Edited by niart17

Why is this brand new kit suddenly like unobtanium in the marketplace??? There isn't one for sale outside Japan that I can find, and I'm not willing to pay three times the regular price for one from there...

EDIT: So after writing this, and then re-reading some of the thread, I went to the AutoWorld site and lo and behold, they had the Premier Edition for $199 shipped. I ordered it. What are the odds I'm actually going to get it, and for that price? Slim? Nil? Has Slim left the building?

Edited by Jennings

Why is this brand new kit suddenly like unobtanium in the marketplace??? There isn't one for sale outside Japan that I can find, and I'm not willing to pay three times the regular price for one from there...

EDIT: So after writing this, and then re-reading some of the thread, I went to the AutoWorld site and lo and behold, they had the Premier Edition for $199 shipped. I ordered it. What are the odds I'm actually going to get it, and for that price? Slim? Nil? Has Slim left the building?

I've not found one in a single hobby shop in Canada. And I've been to shops in Ottawa, Montreal, and various in BC. I've only found this kit online at Round2. I'd love to get one, but shipping something like that from the US will cost eleventy-billion dollars.

Well, I just got an email from AutoWorld that says my order has shipped! $199 for the limited edition version - shipped! I may put it directly onto eBay with a starting price of $250 and see what happens :)

One of my local hobbystores has two of the standard kits sitting on his shelves. He said he gets them in then they're gone in days. On the other hand, the main hobbyshop I go to has a standard kit oreded for me but it won't be in till the end of March - no big deal, I have 2 special edition kits and 2 lighting kits all ready. It may be who they go through for their distributors.

Tracy

Toying around with some custom markings for my Enterprise. I figure that after her historic five-year mission, she likely went through several minor yard periods before the big refit (pre-Wrath of Khan), and so she might have gotten some updated markings. The "Amarillo" font is kind of boring, so I decided to spice it up a little. Here's a mockup of what my alternate markings will look like.

NCC-1701RH.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Toying around with some custom markings for my Enterprise. I figure that after her historic five-year mission, she likely went through several minor yard periods before the big refit (pre-Wrath of Khan), and so she might have gotten some updated markings. The "Amarillo" font is kind of boring, so I decided to spice it up a little. Here's a mockup of what my alternate markings will look like.

NCC-1701RH.jpg

Looks nice.

So the refit before the Phase 2 refit... http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/images/PIIent0001_st.jpg

Edited by RiderFan

Okay, I'm in a quandry. I really don't like the Amarillo USAF type font used on TOS - too 1960s looking. By the 23rd Century, surely our sense of design would be a little more creative than that. So...

Okay, so...

A (Final Frontier Shipside, with the outline removed from the smaller lettering - it looks too cluttered)

B (Eurostyle Bold 2 Extended)

or

C (Ethocentric modified a good bit)

1701fonts.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Go with Eurostyle Extended - that's the correct font (albeit not the extended variant) for the hull lettering anyway, so it would make a nice "in-between" from the TOS-style to the movie-style markings.

Edited by MHaz
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not found one in a single hobby shop in Canada. And I've been to shops in Ottawa, Montreal, and various in BC. I've only found this kit online at Round2. I'd love to get one, but shipping something like that from the US will cost eleventy-billion dollars.

I found one on the shelves in Edmonton before Christmas for $179.00. I wrapped it up and put it under the tree for myself. Every shop still has them, most have sold multiple kits.

I walked into Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton a few weeks ago and he is selling them for $129.00!!!!

Gotta get one of these. Have so much in my queue (which I built up mostly to build up the skills so I can do my 1/350 1701-A proper)... Local shop has 2 and one set of the option parts, though a 1/350 would have to be regular series TOS/remastered for me... I do like the idea of a 1/1000 in a pilot version, though.

Edited by Uxi
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you miss the point? Scratch that itch in 1/1000 scale. No need to jack up a beatiful $150 model. If you're just trying to shock folks, you win. I can't stop shaking my head in disbelief. :blink:/>

I saw a Youtube video of some guy taking a dremel tool to his 350 scale kit and cutting huge chunks out of the saucer. I believe he was making a damaged Constellation.

The 350 scale kit is a terrific basis for a damaged Constellation. You can go crazy adding detail where the Doomsday Machine sliced into the ship. Exposed deck flooring, cabels, melted metal, wrecked machinery, etc. I have had an AMT kit on the back burner to do a damaged Constellation. (And you have to use the old Long Box kit if you want to do it right.) So if you are going to do the USS Constellation properly in 350 scale, it has to have the same bridge, B and C decks that we saw on screen.

I don't see what the big deal is. If he wants to convert this model to look like the old AMT kit so it will look more a model used in the original seried then what's the problem? If he wanted to paint it pink and purple with greem polka-dots then what's the problem? It's his model. Just because it defies what you consider a reasonable use of a kit doesn't mean it's wrong. Just think, there are some modelers that buy old rare nd EXPENSIVE kits just so they can get a few parts that movie model makers used to create some of their movie props. To a collector of rare kits, it would be blasphamist, but to the movie prop replica modeler, it's a necessary thing.

Keep up the great work! Quesiton, if you're going to modify a polar lights kit to look like the AMT kit used in the series, would you have to purposely mess up the alignment on the warp nacelles? :woot.gif:/>/>/>/>/>

Bill

No, I wouldn't do that. But it does bring up a philisophical question of where do you stay true to original screen model and where do you improve on it. The different bridge, B and C decks are easily explainable as a variation in the ship design, just as there were modifications to the 11 foot studio model Enterprise over time, just like today's navy ships are modified over time. I would not put three dimples on the underside of the saucer, like the AMT kit had. We never saw that on screen anyway. Nor would I include other crude differences, like the fat concentric rings behind the deflector dish that the long box AMT kit had. You don't see that on screen either. But the top of the Constellation's saucer was shown close up, and I think that has to be reproduced as it appeared on tv. The 11 foot Enterprise studio model had two different deflector dishes, one bigger than the other. The AMT long box kit, used for the Constellation, had a dish size that was somewhere in between. I'd like to reproduce that. The slope of the edge of the AMT saucer was different than the studio Enterprise, and its a grey area as to whether that ought to be reproduced. Like the dish, it was seen, but at a great distance.

Pink polka dots would be just wrong in any universe...

Edited by Rocky