I'm contemplating my next build and have always wanted to do one of the white/orange Navy Test Pilot School TH-6Bs from the 1/35 Dragon OH-6A kit.

My problem is the skids. I know that there was a set of resin skids that are long out of production.

My question is: would they be too hard to scratch-build? Is there another kit out there that has 1/35 scale high skids? I know Dragon made a few different variants of the OH-6/MD500, but didn't know if any of those kits have the high skids.

If I absolutely MUST scratch build them, does anyone know of where I can find some good reference shots of the high skids? Also, does anyone know how much "higher" they are than the standard ones? Is it simply the lengthening of the verticals (i.e. the angle of the verticals remain the same) to a specified length, or does the actual angle of the verticals change with the high skids.

Any information would be appreciated. Due to this being the main issue with the build, this would definitely be the first thing I work on. If I can't do it, I guess I will just build a Vietnam OH-6A from the kit.....but I really would like to do something a little different.

Thanks for any help.

I mastered a set of tall skids for my 1/35 MD520N conversion. I never put them into production but I sent a couple of sets out to somebody a while back to test and I haven't heard anything back. I put thin piano wire into them to make sure they could hold up the model without flexing.

I'm contemplating my next build and have always wanted to do one of the white/orange Navy Test Pilot School TH-6Bs from the 1/35 Dragon OH-6A kit.

My problem is the skids. I know that there was a set of resin skids that are long out of production.

My question is: would they be too hard to scratch-build? Is there another kit out there that has 1/35 scale high skids? I know Dragon made a few different variants of the OH-6/MD500, but didn't know if any of those kits have the high skids.

If I absolutely MUST scratch build them, does anyone know of where I can find some good reference shots of the high skids? Also, does anyone know how much "higher" they are than the standard ones? Is it simply the lengthening of the verticals (i.e. the angle of the verticals remain the same) to a specified length, or does the actual angle of the verticals change with the high skids.

Any information would be appreciated. Due to this being the main issue with the build, this would definitely be the first thing I work on. If I can't do it, I guess I will just build a Vietnam OH-6A from the kit.....but I really would like to do something a little different.

Thanks for any help.

FWIW, if you can track down one of these, they appear to have the high skids:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=6pN&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1540&bih=807&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=BiyjHwPivxIYwM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-1-35-3526-MD-530G-MMS-GUNSHIP-Helicopter-/230871155385&docid=2xcOjsFxnBuJ8M&itg=1&imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Dragon-1-35-3526-MD-530G-MMS-GUNSHIP-Helicopter-/00/s/MjUzWDQwMA%253D%253D/%2524%28KGrHqJ,!gwE6266u-%252BdBO1KSHyY-Q~~60_35.JPG&w=300&h=189&ei=y4WWUNP6PPO60QGGmoCQDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=607&vpy=4&dur=2898&hovh=151&hovw=240&tx=75&ty=64&sig=103999182503523963311&page=2&tbnh=139&tbnw=234&start=25&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:20,i:212

Not sure if all the OH-6A parts are in the kit as well. I really like that first subject with the high viz white and orange.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, none of the various versions of the Dragon kit have tall skids, they all have the short ones.

Post #6 in this thread has the measurements that should help you build the tall skids you need.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227941&st=0&p=2174870&hl=hughes%20500&fromsearch=1entry2174870

One thing to note in relation to the skid legs in the Dragon kit is that, to my eye, they don't run parallel to each other as they appear to do on the real thing. In the kit, the front skid leg appears to be angled back a fraction more than the rear leg when they should be parallel. Looking at the tall skids on a full-size 500, they also appear to have both legs running parallel to each other when viewed from the side. I hope this is of use. Thanks.

LD.

In the past I have been able to obtain a conversion kit from the Italian Sky Models, http://www.aviationmegastore.com/hughes-hn500md-conversion-set-sky48056-sky-models-sky56-model-conversion/product/?shopid=LM509768644654a6407030b26a7e&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=60224. This kit is no longer available.

It turned out beautiful, but I can imagine that the aftermarket- companies are not too keen on these jobs: the landing gear ofcourse is supposed to hold the model up and thereby requires a considerable amount of strength. We all know the tendency of resin rotor blades to droop to the floor in just a few weeks... :crying2:

To my surpise though, my -500 with the Sky Models landing gear, is still standing high so it should be possible...!

Hey-

Cool Project! I have a few pictures of No 43 as it sits on display at the USNTPS at Pax River. You're welcome to them if you want. It's hard

to get more since Pax River is a no camera zone, but since I work on the base I can go take a look if there are any details you need.

th6.jpg

Good Luck!

Phil