Price of Testors Enamel Thinner 1/2 Pint (8 oz)

Hi all. Yesterday I went to my local Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon, only to find that the Testors Universal Enamel Thinner 1/2 Pint (8 oz) price had increased from $9.99 to $14.99! WOW. So having said that, I wanted to ask everyone if there was a cheaper substitute that is available out there from somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot.

I am using an airbrush with primarily Testors enamel paints, and the use for the product will be for airbrushing, thinning and cleaning.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adamt350_f8027cd1e9fa5fea829502af5c9917e8.jpg?1351837847

I don't think Testors is Lacquer Thinner, but pick up a gallon anyway, then look at the Low to No odor Mineral Spirits,they are paint thinners that are more refined/purified, they will suit you fine for airbrushing any enamel paints.

I like to use a 50/50 Lacquer thinner paint thinner mix, I 1st drop in my Lacquer thinner add paint mix, it will cut/thin the paint much better then paint thinner, then I'll add a bit of paint thinner to wet-en it a bit as Lacquer thinner does spray a bit dry.

Curt

I do the same thing as you- get the Hobby Lobby Coupon for the Thinner. I came back to that after some problems with other thinners.

Something I do to make it last- only use it for thinning the paints! Use the cheap-o stuff to clean your airbrush. I actually use acetone for cleaning the enamels out of it. (not spraying, wiping and swabbing)

For the past 40 or so years, I've used DuPont 3812S Enamel Reducer with my enamel paints (Testors, Testors MM, Humbrol and a few bottles of Pactra that are still usuable)as my thinner/clean up liquid of choice. Reason? It's relativly cheap (IIRC, when I first started using it, 3812S was about 1/3 as cheap as the equivilent amount of Testors thinner), It was readily available at at least two auto supply stores in town (Currently, it's a 50 mile round trip if I want a bottle of Testors), and lastly, I believe (due to smell and the way it acts with my enamels)that is the same liquid as the Testors. Having said all that, if I could no longer get the DuPont product, I would go with either laquer thinner or mineral spirits because both seem to work well with modeling enamels, are far cheaper and easier to get than the Testors thinner.

I only ever use the Testors "Universal" thinner for airbrush thinning and maybe a flush cycle at the end of a color use. For brush cleaning (hand brushes and a teardown of an airbrush) I use other stuff. That way my supply of just that stuff lasts a long time and I continue to use it since I know what its thinning properties are like.

Yessir, I also use lacquer thinner that I buy by the gallon to thin MM enamel paints. I still use Testor's thinner on occasion, but I use the Testor's airbrush thinner that comes in the 1/2 pint, black can. (product #1799) The stuff in the black can has something added that helps the paint bite into the plastic better than the stuff in the red can. However, like I said at the beginning, my main weapon for thinning MM enamels is lacquer thinner.