USS Enterprise Completes Final Journey

I was a contractor of ComNavAirLant back in the early 90s. Got to board her a few times. Was a thrill.

She is an institution in the US Navy, the ship, the name, the people. Hopefully the USN will name another carrier Enterprise soon.

Thank you Enterprise and her crews for all your service. :salute:

To paraphrase Star Trek, "There will always be an Enterprise!"

I am pretty sure the USN will name another one. Rumours are that CVN-81 will be another Enterprise.

What I am hoping is that CVN-65 does not follow the same fate as CV-6 and is made a museum ship. Being the first nuclear carrier and her long operational history deserves it to say the least.

Denis

To paraphrase Star Trek, "There will always be an Enterprise!"

I am pretty sure the USN will name another one. Rumours are that CVN-81 will be another Enterprise.

What I am hoping is that CVN-65 does not follow the same fate as CV-6 and is made a museum ship. Being the first nuclear carrier and her long operational history deserves it to say the least.

Denis

Yea, would be nice, but I have read elsewhere a little while back that the work required to remove the reactors is so involved that saving her would be extremely expensive. Not sure it is even really feasible.

BTW, I am NOT an expert, just repeating what I have heard before.

John

The reason why it will be scrapped is because it is built around its reactors. They can't be removed without tearing the ship up. Oddly enough, preservation wasn't considered when they designed it.

The reason why it will be scrapped is because it is built around its reactors. They can't be removed without tearing the ship up. Oddly enough, preservation wasn't considered when they designed it.

I'm no nuclear reactor expert but why do the reactors need to be removed. With proper course and time for reactor cool down could they not just remove the fuel rods. Once done they could block off any areas that could remain an issue and then keep the rest of the ship open as a floating museum. I mean if they cut the ship up they still have to safely cool down the reactors and remove fuel rods anyways so would not carving her up be possibly even more tricky than just sealing off any areas that could prove an issue and still use her as a floating museum?

This all said and again I'm not nuclear expert but IMO the level of ignorance towards the use of nuclear power by the general society including many said to be experts (NOT!) is pathetic and sickening.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

Thats a despicable comment.

Why? I happen to think that carriers should be named after something or someone other than politicians (the vast majority of whom, I have no use for).

I guess I'm just old-school and would rather see the next CVN be named Enterprise or after one of the famous WW2 carriers or at absolute minimum, for an admiral who took a ship into harms way.

If you feel otherwise, that's fine. Go petition your local politician to have the next carrier named after your favorite politician. I could care less.

Relax Pete. You obviously missed the point of my post.

I'm no nuclear reactor expert but why do the reactors need to be removed. With proper course and time for reactor cool down could they not just remove the fuel rods. Once done they could block off any areas that could remain an issue and then keep the rest of the ship open as a floating museum. I mean if they cut the ship up they still have to safely cool down the reactors and remove fuel rods anyways so would not carving her up be possibly even more tricky than just sealing off any areas that could prove an issue and still use her as a floating museum?

This all said and again I'm not nuclear expert but IMO the level of ignorance towards the use of nuclear power by the general society including many said to be experts (NOT!) is pathetic and sickening.

Low level radiation doesn't go away. Way too costly and complex of an issue trying to decontaminate and remove any rad waste. You can't leave it in place and as was pointed out above, it's just too involved to remove everything. The stuff stays hot for decades and even if you sealed off the areas, what happens if there is an accident 20 years down the road and the ship sinks at pier side?

It's much easier to pull the reactor out of subs, which why the Nautilus and (I believe) some other SSN's are preserved. Not sure we'll ever see a CVN as a museum piece, which is sad.

Sad to see her go, especially considering I've only seen her in pics. would be nice to see her saved as a museum but I can understand why she won't. As for the politics thing(speaking as an outsider) I do agree that carriers could and should be named after military figures not presidents but that has become more of a tradition lately so I'd venture and say that won't change anytime soon though another Enterprise should be launched...it's a tradition too. On a side note I'd love to see another Canadian carrier but we all know that won't ever happen!! RIP Enterprise!! :salute: