CF-188 Ejection Seat

I'm just finishing the 1:48 scale Hasegawa CF-188 Hornet..the 2009 Colour Bird and I really do not like the looks of the kit seat. I would like to buy a resin seat with the harness

Does anyone know which model seat is currently in use in the CDN Hornets and who/where can I purchase one or two???

Any help would be great;y appreciated

Barney

CF-188s were originally equipped with SJU-9/10 seats, which is similar to the SJU-5/6. In recent years they've been upgraded to the SJU-17 ejection seats, although I don't know if all CF-188s were upgraded to these.

I've ordered most of my resin seats thru spruebrothers, but since they are common aftermarket part you should be able to find them fairly easily.

Edited by Sgt Spooky

Wasnt sure so I had a quick "Google" and 188719 was not yet upgraded in 2009 so it still had the older seat, the SJU-9. Im not aware of any resin versions in 1/48, but the SJU5/6 is pretty close. Verlinden makes a pretty decent 1/48 seat. Quickboost too.

CF-188s were originally equipped with SJU-9/10 seats, which is similar to the SJU-5/6. In recent years they've been upgraded to the SJU-17 ejection seats, although I don't know if all CF-188s were upgraded to these.

I've ordered most of my resin seats thru spruebrothers, but since they are common aftermarket part you should be able to find them fairly easily.

As an addendum to what I wrote earlier, The SJU-5/6 (used in USN/USMC F/A-18A/Bs) is virtually identical the SJU-9/10, the different being mainly in the straps and harness. In the SJU-5/6, the pilot wore a parachute harness that was then strapped into the seat. In the SJU-9/10, the harness is integrated into the seat. So in essence, you should be able model a SJU-9/10 using and SJU-5/6 resin replacement. Cutting Edge made one long time ago that you could model either way depending on how you used the straps, but, good luck finding that one. As for a specific one, I've never seen a specific resin 1/48 SJU-9/10, I've just used resin SJU-5/6s in their place, the only real difference in my builds is just painting the SJU-9/10 seats matte black instead of using flat black enamels (yes, there is a difference between matte and flat).

One thing I thought I might mention is that CF-188s now have 2 video cameras in the cockpit, mounted to either side of the canopy frame. Not sure if you were going to detail that or not, thought I'd mention it.

Barney

I couldn't remember which scheme the demo aircraft had in 2009, so I google imaged it - and found some superb shots here:

St. Thomas Airshow 2009 CF-18 Demo Team - Century Hornet 188719 airshow 2009

There is even at least one good one showing a close-up rear quarter of the seat.

ALF