Some progress on ... 1/48 A-6A

That's looking real nice! Will the wings also be foldable?

Mark

Yes, a recess panel line on the back of the wing. Use a cutter to cut it out and the fold wing option will be made.

Besides, the speed brake can also open. But unless you want to have return to carrier post, I cannot see any photo with brake open.

Looks good, hope it comes out soon. Just a couple of points, the Rockeyes have the nose caps moulded on, normally removed when loaded on the a/c and the sway braces on the MERS should be flush with the racks on the MER. Also the slime light on the fuselage wasn't on the A model, early ones at least.

Jari

Nice!

I had been looking forward to this one, Mr Chung.

I'm glad that there will be a folded wing option.

Apart from the HARM's, there is another minor nit-pick about the load.

A MER with 6 Mk-82's on the inner wing stations gave trouble because one bomb was too close to the forward door of the main landing gear.

Possible solutions: leave one bomb off. Or remove the door which is what the Marines did for shore-based operations in Vietnam (I've been told).

Or just have a full MER on the outer stations and fuel tanks on the inner stations.

Best regards,

Stefan.

The radome line around the nose makes it look more like the the front of an EA-6A to me. The rear edge of the radome should be much further back, just ahead of the intake splitter plate.

I think you're right . It's not difficult at all to fix (putty the existing panel line and scribe a new one) but this shows how it can be useful to a manufacturer to let a third party person have a look at the CAD model to help debugging it before the tooling is made. Kinetic does this but perhaps it wasn't done yet when the Intruder was designed ?

If your going to do a weapons load out. Add some SHRIKEs and STANDARD ARM along with what is shown as potential sprues. That way if someone wanted to they could do an A-6B jet prior to the PAT/STARM mod of the airframe and the "button" nose B's.

Nice!

I had been looking forward to this one, Mr Chung.

I'm glad that there will be a folded wing option.

Apart from the HARM's, there is another minor nit-pick about the load.

A MER with 6 Mk-82's on the inner wing stations gave trouble because one bomb was too close to the forward door of the main landing gear.

Possible solutions: leave one bomb off. Or remove the door which is what the Marines did for shore-based operations in Vietnam (I've been told).

Or just have a full MER on the outer stations and fuel tanks on the inner stations.

Best regards,

Stefan.

I didn't see that earlier but I see it now. All of the pictures I've seen of A-6's carrying MER's on the inboard stations only had 4 bombs loaded. Both inboard stations were empty IIRC.

I'll make two other comments about the model as shown...

The RHAW fairing on the tail fin is too tall. The fairing should be about half the height of the fin tip above the fairing, but what I see in the photos of the model is that the fairing is the same height as the fin tip above the fairing. Here's a photo (linked) that illustrates what I'm rambling on about...

http://www.bathead.com/Noseart/AC-VMFA242-A6.jpg

Given the number of Intruder squadrons that have coloured bands painted around the fin tip, the size of the RAW fairing on this model could present problems for the decal manufacturers.

The second thing is that the fixed forward part of the canopy is too low, and too close to the top of the intake. Normally the MODEX number is applied between the canopy and the intake, but it looks to me like there's not really enough vertical space there. Here's a link to a photo showing the problem area...

http://www.aviationspectator.com/files/images/Grumman-A-6-Intruder-018.preview.jpg

I'm not trying to be negative, I would just like this stuff to be as accurate as possible, and the above issues are less of a problem on the currently available A-6 kits.

-Richard J

Edited by Richard J

I'll make two other comments about the model as shown...

The RHAW fairing on the tail fin is too tall. The fairing should be about half the height of the fin tip above the fairing, but what I see in the photos of the model is that the fairing is the same height as the fin tip above the fairing. Here's a photo (linked) that illustrates what I'm rambling on about...

http://www.bathead.com/Noseart/AC-VMFA242-A6.jpg

Given the number of Intruder squadrons that have coloured bands painted around the fin tip, the size of the RAW fairing on this model could present problems for the decal manufacturers.

The second thing is that the fixed forward part of the canopy is too low, and too close to the top of the intake. Normally the MODEX number is applied between the canopy and the intake, but it looks to me like there's not really enough vertical space there. Here's a link to a photo showing the problem area...

http://www.aviationspectator.com/files/images/Grumman-A-6-Intruder-018.preview.jpg

I'm not trying to be negative, I would just like this stuff to be as accurate as possible, and the above issues are less of a problem on the currently available A-6 kits.

-Richard J

Dear Richard,

The vertical tail RHAW is about 2/3 height of the fin tip, but the aspect angle of the photo "make it larger" Also, I compare the on-site photo, it seems the RHAW on your photo is somehow little "smaller", I am not sure if this is also the aspect ratio of the photo or if there are different RHAW employed.

AS for the canopy part, since the multiple-parts canopy is difficult to handle, therefore, we designed the attachment point with some "surface" from the fueslage. That way, some larger attachment area for the canopy to fueslage during putting cement. you need to mask the area during painting. Thus, give you a feeling that the canopy is lower.

Thanks for the great models...

I have already one in preorder...hope that the folding wing options, works fine like in the previous a-6e kit...

I'' m looking forward also to see the wild weasel intruder ea-6a version!!!!

Regards

Alex