The M1008/M1009 CUCV in USAF(E) service

Hello peeps,

I just ordered a 1/48 kit of the M1008 CUCV (the military version of the Chevrolet Blazer pick-up), and I was planning to use it in a little diorama with one or two jets in the 1980's USAFE. Anyone got an idea how these were painted and which markings they had?

TIA

The ones that I saw we're camouflaged and the only markings, if I remember correctly, we're the stencils USAF with a vehicle number on the doors, and the bumpers. The numbers were black or a very dark grey, they could have been faded. That's it.

Some were repainted sand during Operation Desert Storm (ODS, '90-'91) as well.

026-800x431.jpg

You could go with an overall sand truck with a replacement NATO camo door for a little added color.

passenger_side.jpg

The original batch of CUCVs were Dodge Rams and some of those were in MERDC camo.

M880 Dodge CUCV Cargo Truck

CUCV_M880_rightfront.JPG

M886 Dodge CUCV Ambulance

18863_107516349261043_100000080358382_212259_8296483_n.jpg

As stated above though, all Chevy CUCVs were in 3-tone NATO camo.

By the way, who makes one in 1/48? I only know of the Miniman Factory 1/35 versions.

CUCV_box_art.jpg

9.jpg

I have the M1008 pick-up version and it is really nice.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks guys. This helps. Mine will be one from around 1987 in USAFE service, so painting it in a desert scheme won't happen (this time). Miniman Factory also has them in 1/48 now. Someone should do those Dodge trucks too, I think it looks great in MERDC.

I would like to see a kit of the M1010 CUCV Ambulance, a.k.a Cracker Box Ambulance.

M1010%20rf.jpg

With a full interior for the box of course.

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_9_640.jpg

I guess I could always scratch the box and use the Miniman M1008 cab and chassis for it. Hhhmmm....

Edited by HeavyArty