SBd 3 / 5 prop question

Hi all,

I believe the SBD 3 and the SBD 5 had different props or at least different spinners / prop heads. If this is so, does anyone know which of the 1/48th manufacturers supply both?

Cheers

for any ideas

Deon

Whichever kit you get, either from Haseagwa or Accurate Miniatures/Italeri/whomever else boxed the AM Dauntlesses, will have the correct prop for the version boxed. I'm not aware of any kit that includes both types of props in the box, unless someone released a kit as an SBD-3/4 in which case it should have both as the prop was the main external difference between those versions.

In other words, if you want to build an SBD-3 then get the SBD-3 kit and you'll have the correct prop; likewise with the SBD-5.

The SBD-3 and earlier had a two-position (high/low pitch) prop. The -5 had a constant speed Hamilton Standard hydromatic prop. The early prop is the one with the spinner and the small counterweights at the bases of the blades. The hydromatic prop has the characteristic domed hub as seen on loads of other a/c that had HS props (F6F, F4U, some P-47s, B-17s, B-24s, etc).

Whichever kit you get, either from Haseagwa or Accurate Miniatures/Italeri/whomever else boxed the AM Dauntlesses, will have the correct prop for the version boxed. I'm not aware of any kit that includes both types of props in the box, unless someone released a kit as an SBD-3/4 in which case it should have both as the prop was the main external difference between those versions.

In other words, if you want to build an SBD-3 then get the SBD-3 kit and you'll have the correct prop; likewise with the SBD-5.

The SBD-3 and earlier had a two-position (high/low pitch) prop. The -5 had a constant speed Hamilton Standard hydromatic prop. The early prop is the one with the spinner and the small counterweights at the bases of the blades. The hydromatic prop has the characteristic domed hub as seen on loads of other a/c that had HS props (F6F, F4U, some P-47s, B-17s, B-24s, etc).

Thank you all gentlemen!I shall proceed to search for an appropriate kit or spare a/m prop. Many thanks

deon