So, I have a couple Tamiya M1025's in my stash, and I realized today that I don't know what color the underside of a HMMWV is painted. I was planning on doing them in an overall desert-sand finish, but I can't find many good pictures of the underside of the vehicle, the chassis, etc. Is the underside painted tan, or OD green, or black (depending on the picture I'm looking at, it can look like any one of those colors.) Most of the good shots of the underside are of the 3-color camo vehicles, which have black undersides.

And while I'm at it, just to check, the outside is sand/tan, the interior is OD green, the inside of the doors and ceiling are OD green? or black?

So, I have a couple Tamiya M1025's in my stash, and I realized today that I don't know what color the underside of a HMMWV is painted. I was planning on doing them in an overall desert-sand finish, but I can't find many good pictures of the underside of the vehicle, the chassis, etc. Is the underside painted tan, or OD green, or black (depending on the picture I'm looking at, it can look like any one of those colors.) Most of the good shots of the underside are of the 3-color camo vehicles, which have black undersides.

And while I'm at it, just to check, the outside is sand/tan, the interior is OD green, the inside of the doors and ceiling are OD green? or black?

The Interior is closest to NATO green, I like Tamiya's color out of the bottle. Black is the color of the insulation paneled on the walls. I'd color it a very dark grey personally.

As for the underside, I've seen all the above in various photos! I guess it depends on when it was made. The older M1025 probably had black unless it was refit.

Toadwbg pretty much has it.

The undersides on NATO camo vehicles from the factory are black. When the vehicle gets repainted it will have overspray from the repaint get underneath. If it is repainted sand, it could have the underside repainted as well, or just get overspray underneath.

New sand vehicle that come from the factory can have either the black or sand frame and underside. Again, repainting may change the color.

The same is true for the interiors.

Long story short, it depends.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 4 weeks later...