Full resin vs. resin+rubber wheels

Greetings!

Our small company prepare some wheels sets for serial production, but stopped on cross-road: how to produce them. We have several options to choose:

- solid wheels: hard grey resin, hubs+tires together in one piece

- hubs and tires separated. Hubs: hard grey resin. Tires: hard resin, blackened by pigment to deep black rubber-like color

- hubs and tires separated. Hubs: hard grey resin. Tires: elastic rubber-like black resin

We'll be very thankful for all Your opinions about Your favourite wheels option!

BTW, we already produce hard resin blackened wheels for AFV (idea was to avoid painting them by basic paint and to save sharp edges of tires protector). They can be finished by MIG or AK-Interactive pigments/washes/filters:

ar_m72103_06.jpg

Edited by Armoryman

Greetings!

Our small company prepare some wheels sets for serial production, but stopped on cross-road: how to produce them. We have several options to choose:

- hubs and tires separated. Hubs: hard grey resin. Tires: hard resin, blackened by pigment to deep black rubber-like color

- hubs and tires separated. Hubs: hard grey resin. Tires: elastic rubber-like black resin

We'll be very thankful for all Your opinions about Your favourite wheels option!

Personal I don't like elastic rubber-like tires.

For the resin tires to add black pigment is for me not needed.

So option 1.

Seems like a good idea. Been pondering this in the past. Hopefully you are not using any rubber like settings that will destroy the plastic/resin?! Replicating realistic tracks of any tyre is also of essence to a modeler. Armor is not my thing either, but still the idea is very good :-) Love to see it materialize!

Option 2. Lots of optin with that, flat/blown away tires, a dio where tire replacement is taking place.....

I would love to see some of these for aircraft, this is the props forum after all.... :whistle:

Edited by B-17 guy

My preference would be option 2 as well. (Would still paint them, probably. Definitely weather.)

Still, I think the picture you show has the tyres too dark. Allow for some scale effect in the colour.

Edited by MarkusN

Why not a resin three piece wheel ?? A separate tire and 2 hub halves ??

Easy to paint and flexibel as well as you can switch between tires and hubs.

David.

If I make wheels in 3 parts, they became more expensive. So, Armory wheels will be one-piece.

Some of future sets:

1/48 Tupolev Tu-2 wheels (late tire pattern)

148tu2wheels.jpg

• 2 months later...

Several other companies are now offering seperate resin tires and hubs and I think they are the way to go, personally speaking. I've bought several already for the B-17 and B-24 and have not really seen that big of a difference in price compared to what is already available in the solid one piece format.

Greetings!

BTW, we already produce hard resin blackened wheels for AFV (idea was to avoid painting them by basic paint and to save sharp edges of tires protector). They can be finished by MIG or AK-Interactive pigments/washes/filters:

ar_m72103_06.jpg

Definitely option #2 and no need to darken the tire part. Would most likely paint them anyway.

BW

Why not a resin three piece wheel ?? A separate tire and 2 hub halves ??

Easy to paint and flexibel as well as you can switch between tires and hubs.

David.

I have to agree with you David. This would offer an excellent degree of flexibility when it comes to tire patterns and I like the advantages for painting them as well.

I've bought several already for the B-17 and B-24 and have not really seen that big of a difference in price compared to what is already available in the solid one piece format.

Please tell me what these are and where I can find them.

• 3 weeks later...

If I make wheels in 3 parts, they became more expensive. So, Armory wheels will be one-piece.

Some of future sets:

1/48 Tupolev Tu-2 wheels (late tire pattern)

148tu2wheels.jpg

And that is O.K. Even more so, that as the production goes, flexible moulds can slightly change the shape and components may fit less well. Price factor is not insignificant. Will you produce also early style TU-2 wheels ( 1100x425 with ribbeed rims and "straight" tread pattern) and latest, similiar to shown on picture but 1100x395 size together with enlarged tailwheel?

franzjaeger