1/48 Monogram B-17G

Just about done with this. I managed to loose the pitot tube type piece by the nose, so I'll have to scratch a new one. I built this kit a few times as a kid, so it was fun to "rekindle" some of those memories. I few things I've come to appreciate: 1. Actually building a kit with raised panel lines isn't as bad as I the "idea" of the evils of raised panel lines. It was a little more work, but not as bad as I had assumed. I used to avoid raised panel lines like the plague. ...and I'm WAY to lazy of a modeler to rescribe. 2. Kit engineering has advanced very far since this was released. Lots of filling and sanding, sanding, sanding. Rinse and Repeat.

The biggest struggle was the clear parts. Both the windscreen and glass nose both seemed to be a tad undersized. I tried my best to blend them, but as you can notice, its not perfect. The tabs on the clear parts are also practically impossible to get rid of, so I left them as is.

Superscale decals, Quickboost gun barrels (these were a nightmare to use!), Eduard masks ( A lifesaver on the turrets!), Model master enamels, chalk weathering. I tried to get the "beat up look" without going overboard. I wanted to represent engine fires. I think they turned out OK.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Good job on the Swoose. It has been on my "Need to Build" list for quite sometime. My grandfather flew the Swoose when he was stationed in Italy at the tail end of WWII. In fact, it was his assigned aircraft. I built that kit way back in 1978 and handpainted the nose art from pictures he took in 1945. Needless to say, I was very excited when Superscale came out with those markings a few years ago. I need to get on that project sooner than later as my grandfather just celebrated his 89th birthday last week and it's been a long time since my 8th grade attempt at that model!

Kirk Taylor

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

Johncrow - thanks for the inspiration for our mini group build. I'm excited to see how your b-17 turns out! Also, just started a 1/32 A-4C conversion. On to the next kit!

Kirk Taylor - just a heads up (maybe your already aware) but superscale messed up the nose art. The swoose should have a B-17 shaped tail, but superscale messed it up. I was lazy to change it myself.

This is what it should look like|swoose2-2.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt