Tamiya Future Kits

What "we" want is really immaterial; if the company wants, needs (and feels) that it will make a profit out of a new Me109, then that will be the driving force behind it.

As has been said, many times before, a Hasegawa kit doesn't make money for Tamiya, Eduard, Airfix, or anybody else, and, however much it goes against the grain, the grey-suited "money-men" dictate how a company goes about things.

We've had exactly the same thing said, on another forum, about the new Airfix Spitfire XIX; "Do we need another Spitfire?" Maybe you don't, but Hornby have seen the need for one, to make money to continue to bring out new kits. If Tamiya don't see a Yak-9, or Mig-17, selling, in their thousands, over the next few years, they ain't going to make one.

Edgar

And yet Tamiya made a 1/48 Fi-156 Storch. Go figure.

Vince

And yet Tamiya made a 1/48 Fi-156 Storch. Go figure.

Mr. Tamiya is known to have a desire to kit every major aircraft of WWII, so I figure that he figured that the Storch would sell (and he was right.) And there's no need to be rude.

I can't see Tamiya "re-doing" any of their existing kits. I'd love to see them blow Eduard out of the water with a 1/48 Spit IXc/e though.

Can't say I'd like to see that, I prefer Eduard to Tamiya as Eduard is cheaper or has more in the box (ie Weekend Editions are cheaper, Profi-Pack's have etch & masks), better instructions and better decals (and the Profi-Pack decals offer enough markings to do a few Weekend Editions as well). Eduard really has the value equation nailed at both the mid and high market points. Tamiya just offers really nice plastic (and generally reasonable if high prices, unlike Hasegawa in most markets).

Instead I'm hoping for Eduard to give us a kit of similar quality to Tamiya's 1/32 Spit IXc/e, if they do so I've no interest in a Tamiya IX.

May differ by where you live but I disagree with the statement regarding Tamiya's high prices. I live in Canada and we have lost our distibutor for Hasegawa and Eduard a long time ago. If I can even find a Hasegawa kit is big time expensive as the LHS have to pay so much more to get the product shipped in to Canada. I know Hasegawa prices have increased in the U.S. too, but my god....a couple years ago I could buy a 1/32 Hasegawa prop kit like FW190 for $59.99 now it is over $90.00!!! Tamiya prices here in Canada have not really change much, most Tamiya kits are priced the same they were 2 to 3 years ago and Eduard, again if I can find it in LHS is more expensive than the Tamiya kits. Tamiya FW190A-8/R-2 kit $39.99 and Eduard FW kit $60. IMHO I also think Eduard has some fit issues and needs more time and patience, each to their own, but I work full time, like is busy and I just don't have the time to put endless hours into kits. So I prefer Tamiya for ease of build, can also add the aftermarket stuff if wanted and the price is right.

Where was I being rude?

I suspect we might have another case of "Two nations separated by a common language," in which case I apologise; it's just that the expression "Go figure" tends to set my teeth on edge, as it seems dismissive.

Edgar

May differ by where you live but I disagree with the statement regarding Tamiya's high prices. I live in Canada and we have lost our distibutor for Hasegawa and Eduard a long time ago. If I can even find a Hasegawa kit is big time expensive as the LHS have to pay so much more to get the product shipped in to Canada. I know Hasegawa prices have increased in the U.S. too, but my god....a couple years ago I could buy a 1/32 Hasegawa prop kit like FW190 for $59.99 now it is over $90.00!!! Tamiya prices here in Canada have not really change much, most Tamiya kits are priced the same they were 2 to 3 years ago and Eduard, again if I can find it in LHS is more expensive than the Tamiya kits. Tamiya FW190A-8/R-2 kit $39.99 and Eduard FW kit $60. IMHO I also think Eduard has some fit issues and needs more time and patience, each to their own, but I work full time, like is busy and I just don't have the time to put endless hours into kits. So I prefer Tamiya for ease of build, can also add the aftermarket stuff if wanted and the price is right.

I'm also in Canada and Eduard Profi-Pack kits of WW2 single-engine fighters are generally $35-40, not $60, at my LHS (Wheels & Wings here in Toronto). That's essentially the same as a comparable Tamiya kit, but the Tamiya kit is more akin to a Weekend Edition kit (which tend to be just under $30CDN, about the same price as a comparable newer Airfix or Revell kit). Frankly, Tamiya's only a little expensive in terms of pricing, but when I'm comparing an Eduard Profi-Pack to the Tamiya kit, I'm effectively getting $20 or so in aftermarket for free (masks, PE and a superb decal sheet with 4-6 subjects). I'd buy the Eduard even at a mild price disadvantage, but frankly the Eduard carries a price advantage over the Tamiya in most markets.

Also it sounds like your LHS is simply ripping you off. The Eduard FW190 is $39.99USD at Squadron, you shouldn't be paying more than $45CDN for it since they can get it from Squadron/MMD for wholesale (Squadron doesn't advertise retail prices that their dealers can't match while still retaining margin and pretty much every LHS in the US and Canada is a Squadron dealer).

And note that while the FW190's are somewhat notorious for requiring careful fit, the recent Hellcat and Bf109E kits are comparable to Tamiya in terms of fit.

Edited by mawz

I suspect we might have another case of "Two nations separated by a common language," in which case I apologise; it's just that the expression "Go figure" tends to set my teeth on edge, as it seems dismissive.

Edgar

It's an expression of wry amusement on this side of the pond.

Edgar

It might be a case of 'Two counties seperated by a common language' - I live about 30 minutes up the M40 from High Wycombe! And apologies if you found it to be dismissive - it certainly wasn't intended.

Vince

I paid a visit two three of my favorite shops looking at kits yesterday, and left with a chuckle. Saw the same two TBD's on the shelf that have had zero takers (or even lookers) due to their over pricing. There was another Storch, and thought that was kinda funny as the others ended up in the mark down pile for a good while before somebody bought the last one at 50% off. They also had another Il-2 (nice kit), and I may wait till it hits the mark down stack. But Tamiya is not the only one. The GWH Blackwidow is sitting there for almost a hundred dollars! Most folks are not gonna spend that money on a 1/48th kit! (even if it's the new corrected kit). I did buy a Hasegawa F16 Texas AG kit that was marked down 50% (love that blue and yellow paint scheme). Yet on the otherside of the same asile the Revell kits are rolling off the shelves as fast as they can put them out. I think that Tamiya needs to work on the idea of competetive marketing before comming out with another new $80 kit

gary