Interesting Pic from Gaza (No Politics Please)

r13_68753770.jpg

I will admit I am no expert on the IDF, but I am surprised to see them using what looks like a dumb bomb from an A-4. For some reason I though they were used for training only.

EDIT: Source

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/rockets-over-israel-and-gaza/100407/

Edited by Alternative 4

I don't necessarily think the Atlantic is trying to put false info out there, but I wouldn't expect any of the media to really know what type of aircraft they are looking at or to use recent or accurate aircraft photos.

I would hazard to guess they pulled it from stock photos. I was under the impression that Israel retired it's A-4's from front line and reserve service and sold a bunch to Indonesia and Singapore. I had heard they still had a few aircraft for pilot training, but that was about two years back.

Seems sort of strange to publish "generic stock photos" when all the other photos in the article are all current ...

I'm sure they could have easily used a photo of an F-16 too ...

Note, the photo is credited as being shot on Thursday, the 15th ...

>>> Article <<<

-Gregg

Seems sort of strange to publish "generic stock photos" when all the other photos in the article are all current ...

I'm sure they could have easily used a photo of an F-16 too ...

You're assuming a journalist knows the difference between a TA-4 and an F-16.

from the comments section on that site:

Interesting photo showing the IDF warplane dropping a bomb on Gaza.

That's a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, and it's been withdrawn from frontline service for quite some time. It's used as a trainer now, and even in that role it is very long in the tooth.

So what's it doing dropping bombs over Gaza?

Giving the neophytes some lessons on how to shoot fish in a barrel, perhaps?

1 day ago

2 Likes

y_makar

You're right. The IAF no longer uses Skyhawks for actual combat duties. The "bomb" its dropping is actually a canister containing leaflets calling the civilian population to evacuate.