An M4A1 from Cape Gloucester

For my next post, I'll proceed chronologically. After Tarawa the Marines invaded New Britain. They used the M4A1's for the first and only time.

DSCF3587.jpg

DSCF3588.jpg

DSCF3589.jpg

DSCF3592.jpg

DSCF3594.jpg

This is the Tasca M4A1 Mid Production kit that sort of built itself as I watched. The only real additions are the tool strapa and the tow cable.

See, I told you all I'm a Shermaholic.

G

Edited by AgentG
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why did the Marines use the A1 for such a short time?

Supply, IIRC that is the reason the Marines had the A1 to start with. B Co was on Guadalcanal with M2/M3's. The M4 was used at Tarawa and the supply of A2's was used up for the operation/units. The model on hand that 1st tank could get was A1 from Army supplies, after the battle the tank were turned back in and they had A2 or A3 afterwards. The other issue was again IIRC the A1 was gas and the Marines wanted diesel. That is why later you had a mix of Marine units with A2 and other units with A3. We wanted to keep the diesel engines but sense the Army went with gas and they wagged the production dog, we had to go with the A3.

Supply, IIRC that is the reason the Marines had the A1 to start with. B Co was on Guadalcanal with M2/M3's. The M4 was used at Tarawa and the supply of A2's was used up for the operation/units. The model on hand that 1st tank could get was A1 from Army supplies, after the battle the tank were turned back in and they had A2 or A3 afterwards. The other issue was again IIRC the A1 was gas and the Marines wanted diesel. That is why later you had a mix of Marine units with A2 and other units with A3. We wanted to keep the diesel engines but sense the Army went with gas and they wagged the production dog, we had to go with the A3.

That's it in a nutshell.

G