1:48 Academy UH-60 Blackhawk

Looking good so far. In addition to what was said above, here are a few more pointers. On the Op Gothic Serpent mission (Blackhwak Down), there were no rear seats carried. Also, most of the helos had internal AUX tanks mounted. The pilots wore sand flight suits as well. Also, the area you have painted red on the helmets (visor cover) should be green like the rest of the helmets. There should be no shoulder patch since 160th SOAR pilots don't wear any markings or patches. Check here for more info on how the aircraft were set-up on Operation Gothic Serpent.

If you are just going for a downed A-model Blackhawk (all the helos on Op Gothic Serpent were MH-60Ls), disregard the stuff about Op Gothic Serpent. The rest looks good, just add the collective in the co-pilot's left hand and you will be good. If this is the case, be sure to paint your helo in Helo Drab Green, not flat black. Or you could go for an early UH-60A used by 160th SOAR that was shot down in Grenada in Operation Just Cause. The green one is on the Werner's Wings Nightstalkers Part 1 decals. There was also a green one with folding tail used in Op Prime Chance in the late '80s that is on the sheet.

$(KGrHqNHJEIFCdk2Bh2HBQ)0j-1fr!~~60_57.JPG

Lastly, sorry it is late, but I haven't been on much lately (holidays). The Littlebird isn't right for a US version. The US Army doesn't use the sight mounted on the left side of the nose. The nose should be smooth on both sides. The pilots should have helmets on as well.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, always appreciated.

I'm not too concerned about the smaller details of the build. To be honest I'm in way over my head with this but it was completely intentional. The best way to learn and improve my skills is to challenge myself. I've never seen a Blackhawk and am not likely to in New Zealand, or a military version of a 500D for that matter so I'm focusing more on improving my scratch building skills than 100% accuracy. To me they are just models that I can build in my spare time so although I'm building them to the best of my ability I won't lose any sleep if they aren't perfect.

Anyway... I got a little done tonight. I heated it up over a candle and started "denting" the fuselage and got very nervous cracking and breaking the glass parts. They are just dry fitted for now but aren't looking too bad so far:

IMG_1930_zpsf47d20aa.jpg

IMG_1928_zpsbc6bf08c.jpg

IMG_1926_zps5121c0e5.jpg

I'm a Senior Fire fighter at an international airport, I'm aware of the principles of flight and how they work. The pilot isn't holding anything. He is supposed to be unconscious with his arm hanging limp by his side. Yes I have the part but I purposely left it off until after I permanently fitted the crew. It wouldn't fit in it's original position anyway since i built a frame for the seat.

Once again, I am not a professional modeller like the majority of members here. For me it is something to do when there is nothing on TV. I see it as just a hobby, nothing more. I'd be happy building something out of the box even if there was an panel line in the wrong place.

Once it's finished I'll post a few pics in the display case. Not the critique corner since I'm already well aware of what isn't perfect. Like I've said before, this will be to the best of my ability - not 100% accurate.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh and it's not directed at any individuals, I do very much appreciate comments and advice about construction techniques and build problems but honestly I couldn't care less if I miss a rivet or fit the wrong aerial or paint a patch on a pilot that will hardly be seen when it's finished.

Anyway, I wouldn't even be where i am now without all the awesome builders on here and Flory models forum for all the hints, tips and inspiring builds to follow. Without you guys I'd still be brush painting, but remember I'm not at your level yet so my builds wont be that flash.

Dean,

Your build looks great to me, regardless of exact accuracy. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. Remember, modeling is supposed to be FUN! Otherwise, it's just like another job to me and that ain't what I'm going for. I look forward to your next update.

Ray

Thanks guys,

I built a very basic avionics compartment. Almost nothing will be seen once the cover goes on but I thought I'd have something under there just in case. I've still got some wires and details to add but I'll do that after it's painted.

IMG_1931_zps7b3f9f7e.jpg

Coat of primer on:

IMG_1941_zps75ed9a97.jpg

IMG_1940_zpsd6c6a91d.jpg

IMG_1936_zps3c0b2c21.jpg

Almost finished!

The next update will be in the gallery. Just a few more details to add, painting to be done and tie it all together with a bit more weathering on the house and she's finished.

IMG_2014_zpscb1d93b1.jpg

IMG_2012_zps3653397e.jpg

IMG_2017_zps337e2ead.jpg