UH-60 Blackhawk in Desert Shield/Storm

I am embarking on making a UH-60 Blackhawk from the Desert Shield/Storm period in 1/72nd scale, hopefully one of the sand coloured ones by using the Hasegawa kit. I have noticed from photos from the time period that some of the Blackhawks had the IR exhausts and some did not. Was this the case or did all have them fitted with them being removed when not reqired? I know that the Hasegawa kit that I am using does not have them included in the kit, and I cannot find a picture of the Blackhawk that I decals for so I cannot confirm either way as to whether it had them fitted or not. Any help will be grateful.

I am embarking on making a UH-60 Blackhawk from the Desert Shield/Storm period in 1/72nd scale, hopefully one of the sand coloured ones by using the Hasegawa kit. I have noticed from photos from the time period that some of the Blackhawks had the IR exhausts and some did not. Was this the case or did all have them fitted with them being removed when not reqired? I know that the Hasegawa kit that I am using does not have them included in the kit, and I cannot find a picture of the Blackhawk that I decals for so I cannot confirm either way as to whether it had them fitted or not. Any help will be grateful.

I believe it depends on the model. All UH-60L's had the IR shields installed as standard equipment (and these were permanent, they were not removable). Pretty sure late model A's also had this, while early A's had the unshielded exhaust.

Hope this helps a bit.

I have the old Hasegawa kit in 1/72 scale. Who makes aftermarket

decals for these. It sounds like a good side project. I would also

be interested in a standard colored medivac, have seen pictures

of them in Desert Storm.---John

Blackhawk1.jpg

Blackhawk1.jpg

Well I just happen to make the decals for these. Check out www.wernerswings.com and look at the decals UH-60 Workhorse of the Army decals are available and includes a couple of Desert Storm aircraft.

Floyd

Hi Jabba! the straight pipes were the original from design from sikorsky starting with Alpha models. Limas came with the HIRSS exhaust from the factory, while Alphas were refitted. during desert storm, there were more alphas than Limas in service since Limas only started being produced in 1988(+/- a year or so). once an Alpha bird got the HIRSS exhaust, they didnt go back to straight pipes. it was a permanent modification. this doesn't necessarily help with your particular choice airframe, but maybe the info will help you out in general. by the way, i noticed gratuitous use of the letter "u", as my wife still has a habit of doing. are you from the UK?

good luck dude!

-Ramon

Hi Jabba! the straight pipes were the original from design from sikorsky starting with Alpha models. Limas came with the HIRSS exhaust from the factory, while Alphas were refitted. during desert storm, there were more alphas than Limas in service since Limas only started being produced in 1988(+/- a year or so). once an Alpha bird got the HIRSS exhaust, they didnt go back to straight pipes. it was a permanent modification. this doesn't necessarily help with your particular choice airframe, but maybe the info will help you out in general. by the way, i noticed gratuitous use of the letter "u", as my wife still has a habit of doing. are you from the UK?

good luck dude!

-Ramon

Thanks for that, as being an aircraft engineer for the past 30 odd years I dod know that some mods can be fitted only for them to be removed when they are not required. So it did clear up something. Yes you are correct in your guess that I am from the UK and do try to use the Queens English.

The markings I have got are from Hawkeye Models Australia, that I got through the Aviation Wrokshop many years ago.

Well I just happen to make the decals for these. Check out www.wernerswings.com and look at the decals UH-60 Workhorse of the Army decals are available and includes a couple of Desert Storm aircraft.

Floyd

I would have got this sheet if I did not have the one that I have already got. Looking forward to the Desert Storm special Ops sheet though.