MiG-21MF-R ?

A friend of mine wants to build the following plane using the Linden Hill LHD 48027 "Brothers in Arms 3: Warsaw Pact Third Generation MiG-21s" sheet

MiG-21MF_BU_55_800.jpg

It has a recce podbut it doesn't seem to be a MiG-21R since there seem to be guns. Is that a "MiG-21MF-R" ? I've never heard about it before. Is there a photo lying somewhere ?

In 1995-6, Bulgaria locally converted seven MiG-21MF's into a recce version, and locally designated them as MiG-21MFR; the bort numbers on these aircraft are: 047; 55; 57; 58; 64; 177; and, 403. I think all of the bort numbers are white with red outline, but not certain. These aircraft were withdrawn from service in 2000, and are stored at Dobrich. Source:Famous Russian Aircraft Mikoyan MiG-21, Gordon, Dexter, and Komissarov.

Sorry, I don't have any pix for you.

Thank you Marv and Niki. Your answers bring up more questions or remarks.

- "52 white red outlined" isn't in the the list of the Gordon/Komissarov/Dexter book.

- the sign says "reconnaissance equipment developed in Bulgaria"; in the LHD profile it's a regular D pod hanging under the fuselage or the indigenous pod ?

Looks very M/MFish.

Edited by Laurent

I wouldn't know for sure but aren't we talking about regular MF aircraft wired to carry a recon pod? That would take care of the lack in external differences between MF and MF-R.

No idea on the pod issue. Perhaps trying to get hold of some Bulgarian modelers on one of their sites...!?

Just thinking out loud...

:)/>

Edited by niki4703

Well, I did a little battle with the cyrillic alphabet and found a Bulgarian forum where I asked a question or two on the subject.

Standing by for reactions and possible answers smiley-computer012.gif

smile.gif

Thanks !

Laurent,

If your friend has our sheet LHD 48027, then the instructions will tell him/her that 55 was an MF converted locally to MF-R. The Type D pod was removable. The instructions also contain a couple of photos of 55 taken from an album sent to us by one of our Bulgarian colleagues. Sadly 55 crashed in 1998. The pilot ejected safely.

HTH

If your friend has our sheet LHD 48027, then the instructions will tell him/her that 55 was an MF converted locally to MF-R. The Type D pod was removable. The instructions also contain a couple of photos of 55 taken from an album sent to us by one of our Bulgarian colleagues. Sadly 55 crashed in 1998. The pilot ejected safely.

Thank you for the infos. He doesn't have the sheet yet and was inquiring before buying it.

I got an answer to a couple of questions from an anonymous user on scalemodelsclub.com. Here it is:

The MF-Rs were MFs that carried the standard recce container under the body. The respective control panel was added in front of the pilot in the cockpit. No other external differences.

In order to prevent the loss of the recce pod the wiring for emergency store drop was disabled, hence the machines were not able to carry armament. Board #s modified: 047, 55, 57, 58, 64, 177, 403. Some of them are the subject of Linden Hill's sheet LHD 48027

Cheers!

Niki

Thanks ! I wonder if they left the recce pod control panel in the cockpit if the pod was removed.

From what I understand they were converted to the recon role and acted as such until being retired a couple of years later, so perhaps there was no opportunity to remove the control panel.

Anyway, my "anonymous" source (called Peter, I learned) gives also this account:

Just a reminder - in common with R and M models before them the MF-Rs carried a pair of 490l drop tanks on the outer wing pylons (they had "wet" connections as opposed to the inner ones). I don't think those tanks were camouflaged - basically it's either laquered NMF or silver paint

The thing is, given the information supplied, the Bulgarian collegues want in exchange to see a scale replica of an MF-R. Now see what you've gotten me into, Laurent! :doh:

Edited by niki4703
The thing is, given the information supplied, the Bulgarian collegues want in exchange to see a scale replica of an MF-R. Now see what you've gotten me into, Laurent! doh.gif

Oops. I'll tell my friend. He's quite a talented modeller (several builds and articles published in the Wingmasters magazine).

That sounds good for a start! Keeping my fingers crossed that your friend comes up soon with a suitable example - would really hate to disappoint my neighbours south of the Danube :crying2: :)

No, really, I could never replicate that faded Bulgarian camo with my limited tools and skills. I hope your friend finds time for this one :thumbsup: