B-29A and F-13A Superfortresses 1/48 scale

Hello to all: Just want to know if there are any external differences between those Boeing models, I know all the bombs stuff was removed from the recce birds, but as far as I was able to see through the net, there isn´t any significant external difference, Am I right?, if so, can I use the Monogram 1/48 B-29A and build it as an F-13?.

Best regards,

Juan

:cheers:

Thaks Jennings, do you have any pic to show the specific location of them?, I just bought a set of decals from Kitsworld, and I´m afraid I´ll must do some surgery to the kit (I hate doing that as I´m not a top modeller)..

Thanks again..

Camera ports in back. The Detail & Scale book has details (hence the name). F-13s were taken off the line and modified from B-29s.

As Jennings said, they really are just modified B-29s. Externally there is not a lot different from a standard bird. The aft pressure area is where the cameras were located and there were several camera ports located there.

The forward bomb bay carried a cargo rack and the aft bay had two fuel tanks, one stacked on top of the other.

Other modifications would depend on what time period you are interested in. The F-13 was part of some of the Pacific nuke test after the war and some of the turrets were converted into various test mounts.

Again as Jennings pointed out, you really need to obtain the Detail and Scale book to do your project right. Scanning and posting images from copyrighted books violates copyright laws.

Edited by nfiler

Hi,

A couple of us in the IPMS Recce SIG have been looking at this recently. A bit of info here http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pr&action=display&thread=10368 I'll link this thread back as well.

I've just bought the Kitsworld sheet for "Double Exposure" myself. Look forward to seeing yours here on ARC, I expect you'll get it finished before I do mine.

Cheers,

Mike

As Jennings said, they really are just modified B-29s. Externally there is not a lot different from a standard bird. The aft pressure area is where the cameras were located and there were several camera ports located there.

The forward bomb bay carried a cargo rack and the aft bay had two fuel tanks, one stacked on top of the other.

Other modifications would depend on what time period you are interested in. The F-13 was part of some of the Pacific nuke test after the war and some of the turrets were converted into various test mounts.

Again as Jennings pointed out, you really need to obtain the Detail and Scale book to do your project right. Scanning and posting images from copyrighted books violates copyright laws.

Another excellent book is the Warbird Tech, B-29.

Hi Mike, I think yours will be finished before mine, as it is not a top priority project, and because I need a new pair of glasses (hope nota new pair of eyes, I always was afraind of blindness), I bought "Double Exposure" decals because I love the pin up girls nose art, but then I realized that some surgery will be needed, anyway, I think it will be a fun project. Thanks for your reply.

Best,

Juan

:cheers:

Hi,

A couple of us in the IPMS Recce SIG have been looking at this recently. A bit of info here http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pr&action=display&thread=10368 I'll link this thread back as well.

I've just bought the Kitsworld sheet for "Double Exposure" myself. Look forward to seeing yours here on ARC, I expect you'll get it finished before I do mine.

Cheers,

Mike