Tiangong 1 - Shenzhou 9

Vincent, I have to say that this build is really a great inspiration and I enjoy very much browsing your site. If I finish my current builds I will try out your techniques for the Vostok spacecraft. I have one question, what is the white padded material on the walls. I think this would also be great for the interiour of a Vostok capsule.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Actually it is some wrapping paper I kept, thinking it could be useful some days. I have no recollection of what it wrapped and I have had it for some years now. It is the same paper I used when I designed the interior of my 1/24 Vostok, except I painted it in yellow.

P1180447.jpg

Hi Vincent, that is just fantastic. Ralf is right, the way you build is so inspiring. There's something about your build that's magical - the sequence is like a tutorial. And things end up looking like the real thing unexpectedly - it's just like watching Tales of the Unexpected. They are simply amazing. They look habitable! And I like the way you "finish" one area, paint and all before working on another. That's something I never seem to do, but I know that's the way it should be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vincent,

your ideas are always surprising and it's very interesting and inspiring to see, what kind of material and other things you are using for the facilities, so much can be learned. :coolio:

This is the High School of modeling and scratch-building, just fantastic. :clap2:

:wave:

• 3 weeks later...

WOW !!! Then WOW !!! again ....

I saw one of these at a local model club, and then brought one cause, well cause...but your take on this is unbelivable !!!

My only question is why not use "Bare Medal Foil" as the source for your coverings...I would think it would be easier, I plan on using it for some American space craft...of course now I will buy some in aluminmum....

Thanks for your inspiration !!!

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Vincent,

your ideas for the interior details are outstanding and your build is really a treasured work of art. :thumbsup: It's also very impressive, because all of us can get many inspirations for their own scratch-building projects. :worship:

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

The first taikonaut is now on board Tiangong 1. I used Preiser figures which scale is 1/50 (close to 1/48). I did a bit of plastic surgery for our guy to be able to enter his celestial palace.

P1230643.jpg

P1230644.jpg

P1230645.jpg

P1230646.jpg

That's nice bit of surgery Vincent ... and it's good to see the head uplifted a bit too ...

Pete

I felt like a French Revolutionary whan I cut the head but as you noticed I was able to reposition it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started building the exterior of the Tiangong with the forward section where the Shenzhou spacecraft docked. In the original model some parts are slightly in hollow to represent the fact that there is a cone over the main cone covered with thermal protection blankets. I felt this was not accuratly represented and decided to built an extra cone with holes. Extra holes that were forgotten on the model were also added. Adhesive aluminium paper was applied to mimic th thermal blankets.

P1230938a.jpg

P1230947.jpg

P1230952.jpg

P1230967.jpg

It looks like you're quite enjoying yourself Vincent!

When you refer to aluminium paper, is it paper backed, or is it just household aluminum foil? ( ... I hope you haven't already answered this question ... )

It looks like you're quite enjoying yourself Vincent!

When you refer to aluminium paper, is it paper backed, or is it just household aluminum foil? ( ... I hope you haven't already answered this question ... )

It is not household aluminium foil but adhesive aluminium in roll you can find in DIY shop just as the one below.

aHPX00004-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

After stopping the model for a few weeks because of redecorating the bathroom I have finished to install the thermal blankets and various cables. Before painting I had to close the cut-away section to avoid any paint inside, for this I used styrene sheet that I fitted using bluetack. This allowed me to retrieve it after painting and make the interior paint proof.

P1250049.jpg

P1250050.jpg

P1250051.jpg

P1250052.jpg

P1250053.jpg

P1250054.jpg

P1250055.jpg

P1250056.jpg

P1250057.jpg

P1250058.jpg