The Officially Unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway

Okay, so I know many folks (myself included) have gotten very accustomed to and very excited for Breadboard's annual hosting of the ARC Holiday Raffle. Understandably, for reasons beyond his control, life interrupted, and he's unable to host the raffle this year. However, since I think the man deserves a year off anyway, I decided to have some fun on Breadboard's behalf, as well as play host for a small bit of annual Holiday cheer. And maybe we can capture just a little bit of the fun from the always random, total madhouse chatroom. Mike Reeves has volunteered to help in that regard, see below. I figure there's at least a dozen good reasons to do this:

1 - It's a tough economy, win some free stuff on ARC!

2 - President Obama won the US election, and you're unhappy...console yourself by winning some free stuff on ARC!

3 - President Obama won re-election, and you're dancing in the streets...celebrate by winning some free stuff on ARC!

4 - Mike Reeves has agreed to drink and post random comments every time I announce a prize

5 - A lot of cool models came out this past year...celebrate by winning some free stuff on ARC!

6 - A couple real dog kits were released despite the availability of modern research tools and computer aided design...console yourself by winning some free stuff on ARC!

7 - ARC has always been a cool place to meet people; learn some new tactics, techniques, and procedures for model building; and view others' fantastic builds

8 - The Cold War never went hot, so you can pontificate away on thousands of theories of how it might've gone down...celebrate by winning some free stuff on ARC!

9 - The Cold War never went hot, so you can't definitively prove those other idiots in that thread wrong...console celebrate by winning some free stuff on ARC!

10 - Several newly designed Russian aircraft were unveiled this year which were clearly stolen copies of Western designs exploited by clever cyber espionage...console yourself by winning some free stuff on ARC!

11 - Several newly designed Chinese aircraft are cutting edge, innovative designs which bear no resemblance to Western aircraft, and are somewhat similar only because similar requirements drive...wait, whattya mean I got these backwards?

12 - Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?!?

13 - Why not?

14 - .....what? You mean I'm done...oh. Okay then.

So anyway, for these 12 very good reasons, I'm officially hosting (in no actual capacity and with no responsibilities here whatsoever) the completely unauthorized, and totally unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway. We'll be having 8 Crazy Nights...huh? You're kidding?...I'm told that's taken. So, we'll celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas...that too? Well, you know, I have similar requirements to previous holiday carol/movie/stories, so it's only natural I'd arrive at similar titles for the event...no, I don't have a lawyer. Really? Hmmmm...Okay, we better get this done before anybody catches on.

We'll have 12 Wacko (Waco) Days of Holiday Cheer, beginning 1 December and with the last giveaway being on 12 December. Twelve total prizes will be given away, 1 each day. So here's the rules:

1 - Each day will have a different prize, and prizes will be awarded under the following guidelines

2 - At some point in each day, I'll post a trivia question (hint, hint...good guess most of them will be holiday related!)

3 - Mike Reeves will consume copious amounts of beer

4 - All replies to the trivia question must be submitted to arc_holiday_giveaway@yahoo.com PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs. DO NOT RESPOND IN THIS THREAD. Only answers submitted to arc_holiday_giveaway@yahoo.com will be considered for awarding of the prize

5 - When the trivia question is posted, it will also include a time limit for correct answers. All correct answers received by the posted time limit will be eligible for the prize drawing

6 - Once I have compiled a list of all the users' names with correct answers, a winner will randomly chosen from that list. Most likely, it'll be by me having my daughters yell out a random number from 1 to XX after I've hopped them up on Christmas Cookie sugar and hot cocoas. Once they yell out an intelligible number that actually falls within the range I've given them, they'll be sent outside to shovel the driveway and chase the moose away from my new baby trees. Either that, or I can send them to your house with instructions that their gifts from Santa are hidden somewhere in your abode, and they have 30 minutes to find them. Your choice.

7 - When submitting your answer to me at arc_holiday_giveaway, please include your ARC nickname in the e-mail. Winners without their ARC name in the e-mail will be discarded, as I have no way of knowing who you really are by your real name. Everyone knows your by your online personalities, and I'm not giving gifts away to "James Smith" from Akron, Ohio. I'm giving Holiday Prizes away to "Suncrusher227," gosh darnit.

8 - Once I've announced the winner, I'll get your shipping info and send you your prize. Your friends can all be congratulatory or jealous, their choice.

9 - Mike Reeves will then chug a beer in celebration, followed by one in your honor

10 - We'll do it all again!

Now, I'll admit, this plan probably won't be perfect. For starters, what time of day will I post the trivia question? Well, that randomness is part of the fun! And frankly, I have no idea. That would require my employer to tell me where I'm supposed to be something more than 30 minutes before I'm supposed to be there, and they don't like to do that. So it'll be a surprise to us all. However, you can rest assured that I'll post the trivia question each day, and it WILL be in this thread. So your best bet is probably to subscribe to this thread. I contemplated having my neighbors dog start a Tumblr where he texts you all to notify you of the trivia question, but I ran into some legal snags there. Ditto with having my cousin Bennet do it. Jeez, there's nobody original out there anywhere these days.

Provided the sled dogs are not overly tired, or the post office door hasn't been frozen shut, I can promise reasonable delivery of your prizes. In most case, that'll mean within a week or so. In some cases, depending on my employer, it could be a month or more. Apologies, but I WILL get all the prizes out. At the very least, I'll ship them to you before my next move, prior to the packers getting to my model stash (I think some of them are secretly adding kits to my stash...at least, that's what I tell my wife when she asks why we move more models each time we relocate).

So finally, what are these fabulous prizes, you ask? Well, that's the last part of the fun. I'm not going to tell you! Okay, I will. But not now. Not all of them, at least. Some of them will be funny, some of them will be new, and (I hope) all of them will be fun. Remember, I'm a modern jet kind of guy, so if you're a fan of WWII stuff or anything with funny looking fans on the front, you're probably out of luck. Oh, and I do some Sci-Fi stuff, from time to time...so...yeah. But I will tell you the prize when I offer up the trivia question, so if you don't want to play, then that's up to you. Here's a teaser of some of the prizes:

Modern Jet Kit from Trumpeter, Modern Jet Kit from Hasegawa, some TwoBobs Decals, some Zactomodels Resin, and a Memorial "Bondo" Phil Brandt giveaway (I always really loved talking to Phil...he was a great guy, an accomplished (prolific) model builder, and a thoughtful Veteran...I loved swapping TacAir stories with him--you can count on this one being a little bit of a weird kit giveaway though!).

So to wrap up:

1 - ARC Holiday Giveaway starts this Saturday, 1 December. Watch this thread.

2 - Respond to the posted trivia question by e-mailing arc_holiday_giveaway@yahoo.com. Include your ARC name.

3 - Winner will be selected by some random method from all correct answers

4 - Mike Reeves will now drink a beer to celebrate the conclusion of this message

5 - Uhhh...that's it!

So, hope to see some folks sending me e-mails starting this Saturday. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or simply Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Waco

1st ARC HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY PRIZE: TwoBobs/TwoMikes 2012 IPMS National OPFOR Super Pack

Saturday, 1 Dec

Edited by Waco

So, hope to see some folks sending me e-mails starting this Saturday. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or simply Happy Holidays!

You left out Wookie Life Day. Mike Reeves chugging a beer will be considered to be an acceptable apology.

Waco, I think it's great you're doing this. Do you need/want any prizes donated? I had donated a few kits in the past to Hal's raffle and would be willing to help if you like.

Edited by JasonW

So... the Alaskan winter has gotten to you already? How do I join in on the

9 - Mike Reeves will then chug a beer in celebration
(isn't it odd that incelebration sounds close to inebriation.

All joking and drinking aside THANK YOU SIR! this will be fun!

...and we are back! Whew!!! Well, going to a backup version of the forums means we lost a few posts. Perhaps most importantly, we lost the picture of Mikey Reeves warming up for the ARC Holiday Giveaway. We'll fix that shortly. Remember, there's a separate prize being awarded for the best Photoshop of that picture. Post those entries into this thread.

I would like to extend a "Best of Effort" congratulations to the roughly 2 dozen or so ARC participants who attempted to answer the first question on 1 December without even knowing the actual question. Well played. Outstanding notable answer were, "Donner," "Moai Vincent," "Zoey Deschanel," (who is always the right answer in my book), and, naturally, "42." While it's tough for me to argue with 42, nobody got the correct answer to an unposted question, which is, as everybody knows, "Batman." Thanks for playing. The fact I started getting answers in my inbox while the boards were down gave me a great laugh.

For the rest of the contest, ensure you follow the directions posted above...and with it now being December 2nd, it's officially time for the ARC HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY!!!!

Question #1:

Tonight's Prize: TwoBobs/TwoMikes IPMS National 2012 OPFOR Super Pack

How many total gifts are there in the 12 Days of Christmas, and how much would it cost to purchase the complete gift giving package?

DO NOT POST ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD!

The current time is 2230AKST, 2330PST, 0030MST, 0130CST, 0230EST, and, because it's a really strange place, 1200 in Kabul, Afghanistan. It's also 0730GMT, for those who prefer a universal reference. You have 12 hours to answer this question. All correct answers received by 1030AKST/1930GMT tomorrow will be entered into the drawing for the OPFOR Super Pack. Correct answers received after this time will be publicly ridiculed. Nah, just kidding...maybe. But you won't be entered into the drawing.

Ready....GO!

Some hilariously funny answers so far...as well as a few correct ones! My current favorite goes to Liberator24, who modified the price of his total gift giving experience by recommending some of the purchases be made at Jared. Well played.

:)

Still working on getting the picture of Mikey back into the thread. In the meantime, I realized I'd posted a sneaky peak at some of the prizes that also didn't make the page reboot:

IMG_5390.jpg

do we know if we got the answers right?

Neo - unfortunately, I can't respond to everyone individually, and my day job will prevent me from being able to telling everyone yes or no based on their submissions. However, when announcing the winner for each question, I'll also post the answer. Also, you only get one try per question...so this prevents people from going back and changing their answer! :coolio:

Still a little over 3 hours remaining for submissions to this question!