The Officially Unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway

The REAL Question #6:

Tonight's prize: 3 sets of 1/32 Zactomodels Missiles

A bit of "oddities" for tonight's multi-part trivia question:

1. "The Christmas Cat" sounds like such a cute little Christmas tradition...why might the children of Iceland think it was not such a cute idea?

2. In Germanic folklore, who is the companion of St Nicholas who punishes children who misbehave at Christmastime?

3. Again, "The Coventry Carol" sounds like a nice little Christmas hymn, doesn't it? What biblical event does this song actually describe?

4. In Catalonia's traditional Christmas decoration, what unique, highly popular figure (most likely to be portrayed by Mikey Reeves) would you find in a Catalan nativity scene?

5. St Nicholas is the patron saint of children, a title he earned not just for his gift giving, but for this one morbid, highly unusual miracle. What was it?

Upping the degree of difficulty a bit! B)/>/>

DO NOT POST ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD!

The current time is 1730AKST, 1830PST, 1930MST, 2030CST, 2130EST, and, because it's TRULY a bizarre time zone, it's 16:15 in Chatham Islands, New Zealand. It's also 0230GMT, for those who prefer a universal reference. You have 12 hours to answer this question. All correct answers received by 0530AKST/1230GMT tomorrow will be entered into the drawing for the Zactomodels missiles. Correct answers received after this time will be...ah, who am I kidding. Surely nobody would mess up the time zone math, right?

TIME IS UP! QUESTION #6 IS CLOSED

Only 3 ARC'ers managed to come up with the answers about these exceedingly bizarre, odd, and somewhat morbid Christmas traditions. Neo, Duck, and Blunce, well done! You are masters of the obscure and arcane.

1. "The Christmas Cat" sounds like such a cute little Christmas tradition...why might the children of Iceland think it was not such a cute idea?

In Icelandic tradition, the Christmas Cat, Jólakötturinn, prowls the land and devours anyone who does not receive a new piece of clothing for Christmas

2. In Germanic folklore, who is the companion of St Nicholas who punishes children who misbehave at Christmastime?

Knecht Ruprecht, often depicted with a limp, a long beard, wearing fur or covered in pea-straw. According to older tradition, good children are rewarded by Knecht Ruprecht with apples, nuts, and gingerbread. Naughty children, he beats with his bag of ashes. Slightly more modern versions of the tradition provide naughty children useless, ugly gifts such as lumps of coal, sticks, and stones, while well-behaving children receive sweets from Saint Nicholas. He also can be known to give naughty children a switch (stick) in their shoes for their parents to beat them with.

3. Again, "The Coventry Carol" sounds like a nice little Christmas hymn, doesn't it? What biblical event does this song actually describe?

The Coventry Carol sings of the Murder of Innocents, and its tune was supposedly used to soothe the children who were to be slayed by Herod's soldiers in an attempt to kill the newborn Christ.

4. In Catalonia's traditional Christmas decoration, what unique, highly popular figure (most likely to be portrayed by Mikey Reeves) would you find in a Catalan nativity scene?

The caganer, is a figurine depicted in the act of defecation appearing in nativity scenes in Catalonia and neighbouring areas with Catalan culture such as Andorra, Valencia, Northern Catalonia (in southern France) and the Balearic Islands. It is most popular and widespread in these areas, but can also be found in other areas of Spain (Murcia), Portugal and southern Italy (Naples). Like Mikey Reeves, that guy is poopin' and lovin' it!

caganer.jpg

5. St Nicholas is the patron saint of children, a title he earned not just for his gift giving, but for this one morbid, highly unusual miracle. What was it?

Saint Nicholas miraculously resuscitated, reassembled, and reanimated three children after they were murdered and pickled in brine by a local butcher, who was planning on selling the meat as pork.

Kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside for the season, doesn't it? :)/>/> At any rate, after correctly navigating his way through my maze of Christmas oddities, Neo is the winner of the Zactomodels missile sets. He fixes databases, wins trivia competitions...is there anything this man cannot do? :)/>/> PM me your address, Neo.

Next question up soon. The next prize is: Hasegawa 1/48 Draken.

HEY THATS ME!!!

Cool

Thanks Waco PM sent!! ..

Thanks ALF ..yeah i really wanted to get my hands on Zacto stuff! i heard there amazing

...is there anything this man cannot do?

LOL well im going to learn how to fix water damage in basement after toilet leak fixing tutorial i did this week

Edited by Neo

Sent for #6 comme to papa Zacto goodies!!

For #5 i love it when i found xmas trees was toxic!!

It must depend on the type of Pine tree. Because here in Oregon the Native Americans used Ponderosa Pine as a food source during winters. Just imagine chewing on that. The needles were also used as a tea.

Question #7

Tonight's Prize: Hasegawa 1/48 Draken kit

We're into the second half of this year's Christmastime giveaway, so let's jump right into round 7!

1 - Who is as cuddly as a cactus?

2 - Thurl Ravenscroft provided vocal talents for a variety of Disney productions, including a very famous Christmas cartoon. However, he's probably better known for voicing WHAT cartoon spokesperson?

(side note: Ravenscroft also served as a civilian navigator for Air Transport Command in WWII, spending five years flying courier missions across the north and south Atlantic)

3 - What condiment goes well with a 3-decker three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich?

4 - Staying within theme, if you've answered the above correctly, tell me who is Max?

That's it, ARCers! Much simpler than last night's offering, right? :whistle:/>

The current time is 1700AKST, 1800PST, 1900MST, 2000CST, 2100EST, and it's currently 0300Local Standard Galactic Units at Echo Base, Hoth (don't go outside, your Taun-taun will freeze before you make it to the first marker). It's also 0200GMT, for those who prefer a universal reference. You have 12 hours to answer this question. All correct answers received by 0500AKST/120GMT tomorrow will be entered into the drawing for the 1/48 Draken kit.

Good luck!

TIME IS UP!

grinch03.jpg

Well, now that the Grinch has had a chance to bring his version of holiday cheer to ARC, let's check those answers!

1. Naturally, the Grinch is as cuddly as a cactus

2. Thurl Ravenscroft was uncredited for his singing of, "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," but is probably most famous as the voice of Tony the Tiger, "They're Grrrrrrrreat!!!"

3. Arsenic sauce is the only condiment for serving a 3-decker three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich

4. Max is the Grinch's faithful dog, and recipient of an awful antler cosmetic enhancement in this wonderful cartoon

So a grand total of 17 ARCers managed to correctly answer this green and furry quiz, and the rest of you are best described by the three words, stink, stank, stunk!

It finally warmed enough to snow last night, so I sent the wife outside to shovel the walk this morning, and set a timer for how long it took her to finish. In unrelated news, I'm cooking my own dinner tonight. But nonetheless, based on her time, the winner of a Hasegawa 1/48 Draken is Adam Baker!!! PM me your address, bud.

Question 8 will be posted later! Our next prize: Academy 1/48 ROKAF T-50.

Question #8

Tonight's Prize: Academy 1/48 ROKAF T-50 kit

B)/>

1. In what year did NORAD first start "tracking" Santa?

2. Who was the sponsor of the (incorrect) number that accidentally first sent children's calls to Colorado Springs' Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) Center?

3. Approximately how many telephone calls per hour does a typical NORAD tracks Santa volunteer handle on Christmas Eve?

4. Name one celebrity who has provided the voice over for one of the various NORAD Tracks Santa "SantaCam" clips.

5. As commander, NORAD, who would currently have ultimate weapons release approving authority, as depicted in the video above?

The current time is 1930AKST, 2030PST, 2130MST, 2230CST, 2330EST, and it's currently ________hrs on Alderaan, (for some reason, their local feed isn't updating). It's also 0430GMT, for those who prefer a universal reference. You have 10 hours to answer this question. All correct answers received by 0530AKST/1430GMT tomorrow will be entered into the drawing for the 1/48 ROKAF T-50 kit.