The Officially Unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway

More fun and exciting Chris Farley look alike pics coming fellas!! This is fantastic!!

I am humbled to know that Trigger apparantly keeps and remembers Facebook posts that I obviously made, while drinking!! LOL

Cheers all (and I mean that....in my best Sammy Davis, Jr. voice)

Question #10

Tonight's Prize: Trumpeter 1/48 PLAAF J-10S with TwoBobs Decals

So, how many of you go bonkers (or are driven bonkers by a spouse) trying to get the perfect picture, or to address and send dozens (hundreds?) of Christmas Cards? While social media has definitely drawn down the lucrative Christmas Card business, this thriving practice is still very alive and well. Surprisingly, the tradition is only about 150 years old, and dates to the mid-1800s. Like many of the trappings of "modern" Christmas, it originated in jolly old England:

1. Sir Henry Cole, a renaissance man who wrote and published books on art and architecture, was too busy to write holiday greetings to friends and family, so he asked a well-known painter to design a card with a single message that could be sent to everyone on his list. Who is credited with creating this first Christmas card, a classic Victorian Christmas scene of a family merrily eating and drinking and a caption reading, "A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You?"

2. The first Christmas card in the US appeared in the mid-1800s, and depicted a small Santa Claus, a sleigh, and reindeer. What New York engraver designed it?

3. In 1875, the "Father of the American Christmas Card" printed images in color with a series of lithographic zinc plates. The finished product resembled an oil painting. These cards were so in demand that he couldn't fulfill all of his orders, at one point printing five million cards a year. Who was the "Father of the American Christmas Card?"

4. How many Christmas cards does the average US household mail and receive each year (and why does my family send so many more than this number)?

5. Approximately how many total Christmas cards are mailed annually?

The time is 2130AKST/0630GMT. You have 12 hours to answer these questions! All correct answers received by 0930AKST/1830GMT will be entered to win the Trumpeter 1/48 PLAAF J-10S and TwoBobs Decals. All answers received after that time will be entered to win a chance to come clean the moose nuggets from last night off my lawn.

Good luck!

PENCILS DOWN!!!

No less than 14 ARCers submitted the correct answers to the Christmas lingual challenge, but I have to give props to inquisitor, who certainly submitted the most complete and creative answer:

So to inquisitor, a very 0001111010011101101011 to you too!

Of the 14 correct answers, I went out and gridded the snow strewn front lawn, and waited for our nightly moose visitor to make a moose nuggets deposit in one of the numbered squares. Not sure if you count a moose pooping in your number lucky or not, but congratulations to majortomski, the winner of the Eggplanes set! Majortomski, please PM me your address.

Number 10 will be posted shortly!

THANK YOU SIR! email shortly.

PS the J-10S kit is beautiful and the Two Bob's decals are great. I already have them so good luck to today's contestants.

I am humbled to know that Trigger apparantly keeps and remembers Facebook posts that I obviously made, while drinking!! LOL

"Hey, Mikey, lemme see your phone for a moment."

Screenshot2012-12-11at65750PM.png

Screenshot2012-12-11at65716PM.png

Good times...good times...

Edited by Trigger

TIME IS UP!!!

So, how did you do, ARC?

1. Sir Henry Cole, a renaissance man who wrote and published books on art and architecture, was too busy to write holiday greetings to friends and family, so he asked a well-known painter to design a card with a single message that could be sent to everyone on his list. John Callcott Horsley is credited with creating this first Christmas card, a classic Victorian Christmas scene of a family merrily eating and drinking and a caption reading, "A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You."

0255-01-worlds-1st-xmas-card.jpg?w=475&h=296

2. The first Christmas card in the US appeared in the mid-1800s, when New York engraver Richard Pease designed a card depicting a small Santa Claus, a sleigh, and reindeer.

3. In 1875, the "Father of the American Christmas Card," Louis Prang, printed images in color with a series of lithographic zinc plates. The finished product resembled an oil painting. These cards were so in demand that he couldn't fulfill all of his orders, at one point printing five million cards a year.

CC+LOUIS+PRANG++2.jpg

4. The average US household mails and receives approximately 28 cards each year. For some reason, Chick Waco insists on sending dozens more than that, which I believe guilts people into returning the favor. :rolleyes:

5. Approximately how many total Christmas cards are mailed annually?

The number vary, depending on sources. Anywhere from 1.8 to 3 billion cards are estimated to be mailed annually, although that number is rapidly falling in the past several years, due to the rising popularity of social media.

So there you have it! From Victorian style cards of the mid-1800s, to your average Charlie Brown and Snoopy Christmas greetings, that's a lot of stamps to be licking! I received 16 correct responses from ARCers for this contest. Based on the heavy snowfall this morning in the Anchorage bowl, I returned to the tried and true method of counting cars in the ditch, and the winner of the Trumpy 1/48 PLAAF J-10S and TwoBobs decals is blunce!!! Hit me up via PM with your address info!

Well...no time to delay! Time to keep this thing rolling.

Question #11

Tonight's Prize: Hasegawa 1/48 Mitsubishi F-2A with AB Decals "ViperZero" sheet and ShawnHull resin GE F-110 nozzle

So, it's Christmas...let's talk toys! Below are hints/descriptions of some of the most popular Christmas toy gifts of all time. Guess all the toys correct, and you're entered to win tonight's prize!

1. In 1952, over 1 million of this Hasbro toy sold, thanks largely to it being the very first toy advertised on TV.

2. Originally sold only in a small Scandinavian country, this toy was introduced to the US in 1962, and by 1966 had established itself as a top tier toy, a title it still holds today.

3. This popular Christmas toy/game was the result of a 1962 college project, thanks to University of Illinois industrial design student, John Spinello. He earned the highest grade in his class with his electric toy in a box.

4. 1975 saw the birth of the video game generation, with this popular Christmas gift debuting that holiday season. With sales of $40,000,000 for the year, it led to a multitude of follow on consoles, sparking the lucrative industry which dominates with the 18-35 year old age group today.

5. Debuting in 1980, this toy sold over 100million copies between its release and 1982. Today, it's considered one of the iconic symbols of the '80s.

6. These toys debuted in 1983, and were so highly sought after they are largely credited with being, “the first instance of a fad toy causing the phenomena now known as Christmas Gift Buying Rage.†The manufacturer allegedly delivered these toys to retailers via armored truck, they were so popular. By December of 1983, the toy was featured on the cover of Newsweek.

7. In 1991, hand held gaming debuted in the UK with this high demand Christmas gift.

8. 1996's Christmas Toy Craze actually began in July, when Rosie O'Donnell gave out 200 of the item to her studio audience. Tyco, the manufacturer, later faced such high demand for its admittedly low supply that some of this toy were being sold online for as much as $2000.

9. BUT WAIT! 1996 had not one, but TWO ridiculously sought after toys, with this high-tech star of Pixar's animated cinema smash also sending desperate parents scrambling to find one for their dear, demanding little cherubs.

10. And finally...2009...over 10 million of these animatronic "pets" were sold, after a humble beginning in a few stores in Arizona had them quickly selling out. This relatively cheap (under $10, retail) toy was soon commanding as much as $250 on eBay by the end of November, 2009.

HA!! And you thought the questions would get easier as time went on!

It's 1830AKST/0330GMT. You have 12 hours. You know the drill by now. :coolio:/>

TIME IS UP!!!

So there you have it! From Victorian style cards of the mid-1800s, to your average Charlie Brown and Snoopy Christmas greetings, that's a lot of stamps to be licking! I received 16 correct responses from ARCers for this contest. Based on the heavy snowfall this morning in the Anchorage bowl, I returned to the tried and true method of counting cars in the ditch, and the winner of the Trumpy 1/48 PLAAF J-10S and TwoBobs decals is blunce!!! Hit me up via PM with your address info!

...and everyone's always telling me I'm a loser! Well, I guess this proves them wrong huh!?! rofl.gifblink.gifwoo.gif

Thanks Waco, and about those Moose nuggets, you buy, I'll fly and take care of them for ya!

Thanks for putting on the substitute show this year, SUPER generous of you both for your time, humor, and of course the prizes. I think I speak for all of us here at ARC when I say

THANK YOU WACO!