The Officially Unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway

Is question 1 still in play or has time expired? Waco's time-space continuum thing got me confused.

Eta:

Ahh, I submitted anyway. A little public ridicule never hurt anybody.

Edited by dbsmith88
Is question 1 still in play or has time expired? Waco's time-space continuum thing got me confused.

Sadly, it has in fact expired. But don't worry, you're hardly the only person confused by the space-time continuum. B)

Time's up, pencils down...actually, time's been up for about 6 hours already. Did you get the correct answer?

So of the 50-odd responses I received in time, only 5 ARC'ers managed to come up with the correct answer. How many gifts are there in the 12 Days of Christmas? There are actually 364 total gifts given during the song:

Partridges: 1 × 12 = 12

Doves: 2 × 11 = 22

Hens 3 × 10 = 30

Calling birds: 4 × 9 = 36

Golden rings: 5 × 8 = 40

Geese: 6 × 7 = 42

Swans: 7 × 6 = 42

Maids: 8 × 5 = 40

Ladies: 9 × 4 = 36

Lords: 10 × 3 = 30

Pipers: 11 × 2 = 22

Drummers: 12 × 1 = 12

Total = 364

That's a heck of a lot of birds, in my opinion. And due to the North American drought, rising prices of grain, and a host of other costs, the total bill for this year's 12 Days of Christmas increased approximately 6.1% from last year, for a total cost of $107,300 for all the items listed above. Of course, if you buy them all online with rush shipping for Christmas, you'd pay even more, tabbing in at just under $178K, according to this article from InvestmentNews Online. “In general, Internet prices are higher than their non-Internet counterparts because of premium shipping costs for birds and the convenience factor of shopping online,†said Jim Dunigan, managing executive of investments for PNC Wealth Management.

So, congratulations to Nerdling, rustywelder, Graves_09, David N Lombard, and Neo for getting this first question correct! After having my older daughter throw a snowball at the local mailbox stack and see which box number was hit (trust me, her aim ain't good enough to intentionally hit anything, and she didn't know the names anyway) the first winner is:

DAVID N LOMBARD!!!

David, shoot me a PM with your address, and I'll package up your OPFOR Super Pack for shipping.

For the rest of you, stay tuned! Second trivia question will be up soon.

The next prize is:

Hasegawa 1/48 TF-104G with a corresponding Aires cockpit set

IMG_5400.jpg

Question #2:

Tonight's Prize: Hasegawa 1/48 TF-104G with a corresponding Aires cockpit set

We already had a math question, so it's time to move on to Science, kids. Tonight, a chemistry question:

In Christmas Vacation, what are the two chemical compounds Clark W. Griswold mentions working on at his job, and what do they do?

Griswold.jpg

DO NOT POST ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD!

The current time is 1630AKST, 1730PST, 1830MST, 1930CST, 2030EST, and, for reasons beyond my comprehension, 2200NST in Newfoundland. It's also 0130GMT for those who prefer a universal reference. You have 12 hours to answer this question. All correct answers received by 0530AKST/1330GMT tomorrow will be entered into the drawing for the Hasegawa 1/48 TF-104G and corresponding Aires Cockpit set.

Correct answers received after the time noted above will be entered into a drawing to be Mikey Reeves personal aloe applying assistant when he sunburns his back on his next vacation. You'll get to smooth that cool, creamy aloe all over his back until his warm, blistered skin feels all better.

Good luck!

Thing that surprised me the most was the swans cost the most at $1000 each

Congrats David! I'm looking to buy or trade for the pods on the super pack if your interested....drop me a pm.

Edited by graves_09

That's a heck of a lot of birds, in my opinion. And due to the North American drought, rising prices of grain, and a host of other costs, the total bill for this year's 12 Days of Christmas increased approximately 6.1% from last year, for a total cost of $107,300 for all the items listed above. Of course, if you buy them all online with rush shipping for Christmas, you'd pay even more, tabbing in at just under $178K, according to this article from InvestmentNews Online. “In general, Internet prices are higher than their non-Internet counterparts because of premium shipping costs for birds and the convenience factor of shopping online,†said Jim Dunigan, managing executive of investments for PNC Wealth Management.

Must be a generational thing. I have nothing against birds but I have never wanted one for christmas.

9 - Mike Reeves will then chug a beer in celebration, followed by one in your honor

To Mike Reeves: CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG!!!!!!

Wow! Now that's a truly awesome set!

But, well, aren't we going to get a picture of said celebratory chugging? :monkeydance:

There will be celebratory chugging photos posted tonight. I was too drunk to take pics last night! LOL

Oh, and congrats on the Super Pack, David. Hope you like the prize!

Edited by Two Mikes

TIME IS UP!

A bit more popular response this time, and some humorous inputs as well. I'd have to agree with the responder who noted, "I'm now reading the labels on all of my food, 'cause I don't think I want to be eating any of that stuff!" Clark Griswold is an additive designer, or using modern lingo, a food chemist. The two particular compounds which get lines in the movie are:

The Crunch Enhancer: a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permiable. It's not osmotic. What it does is it coats and seals the flake, prevents the milk from penetrating it.

The sled saucer lubricant: a new non-caloric silicon-based kitchen lubricant my company has been working on. It creats a surface 500 times more slippery than any cooking oil. It's purpose, of course, is to give us the wonderful downhill sledding scene. Good thing it wasn't cousin Eddy, I'd hate to see what he looks like with a BAD part in his hair.

At any rate, 13 of you submitted the correct answer in time. Given last night's temperatures, I set a cup of coffee on the deck railing this morning, and tracked how long it took to freeze. The 11 minute mark means I selected the 11th correct answer. The winner of question #2 is:

falcon20driver!!!

Tony, PM me with your address, so I can box the 1/48 TF-104G up for shipping to you.

Third question will be up later folks! In the meantime, enjoy a bit more of the genius mind that brings you non-nutritive cereal varnish:

(from list 1)

4 - Mike Reeves has agreed to drink and post random comments every time I announce a prize

(from list 2)

3 - Mike Reeves will consume copious amounts of beer

9 - Mike Reeves will then chug a beer in celebration, followed by one in your honor

(from list 3)

4 - Mike Reeves will now drink a beer to celebrate the conclusion of this message

5 - Uhhh...that's it!

(#6 which Waco forgot) Mike Reeves will now drink a beer just because he wants to...

Cheers,

Waco

It has been accurately determined that Waco's contest will result in Mike Reeves drinking 5 septillion beers by the time the end of the contest is determined.

There will be celebratory chugging photos posted tonight. I was too drunk to take pics last night! LOL

Oh, and congrats on the Super Pack, David. Hope you like the prize!

shame_shaking_finger.jpg Damn and we were so looking forward to that "chugging" photo.

:woo: I was shopping around for an F-104 this weekend too! Thanks for doing such an awesome give away and keeping us all entertained. I guess I'll leave the p-38 in the box and start the 104 along with the buckeye this January. I hope I can build it to the standards others would be able to. ARC truly is an awesome place.

Given last night's temperatures, I set a cup of coffee on the deck railing this morning, and tracked how long it took to freeze. The 11 minute mark means I selected the 11th correct answer.

Rigged!

(Seriously, Congrats Falcon!!)

Now, please stop saying the word LUBE! It reminds me of the Disney tryouts!

BTW, is Reeves Dead??!! Did he die from Alchohol poisoning for you freaks entertainment?? And when are we gonna have a photoshopped pic of keger-man in his famous pose?

-Jim