The Officially Unofficial ARC Holiday Giveaway

...so I sent the wife outside to shovel the walk this morning, and set a timer for how long it took her to finish. In unrelated news, I'm cooking my own dinner tonight.

Wow, is that a perfect exaple of cause and effect or what? What are the odds you'll be sleeping in the garage? :wmsmiley-poop-hits-the-fan:

>>Holy cow, I cant believe I actually won! haha

Address sent!

Sending your address? I believe that Waco expects you to go up to his house to relieve his wife of the snow shoveling duties and only then do you collect your prize. :woot.gif:

Yuk

TIME IS UP! (Wow, am I running late today)

NTS_Trademarked_Logo2.jpg

One of the few modern updates to the Santa Claus legend to have gained any traction is the NORAD Tracks Santa tradition. NTS first begun in 1955 under CONAD, after a Sears Roebuck advertisement in a Colorado Springs newspaper offered to allow children to "call Santa," but mistakenly printed the number to the CONAD Center in Colorado Springs. The on duty supervisor began advising his controllers to report Santa's position in response to the children's calls, and the tradition was born! In 1958, it continued under the reorganized bi-national command, NORAD, and continues to this day! If you have kids, and you've never checked out NTS on Christmas Eve, I highly recommend you check it out!

1. Based on above, 1955 or 1958 were treated as acceptable answers

2. See above! Sears is the correct answer

3. A typical NORAD Tracks Santa volunteer will answer, on average 40 calls per hour. The team typically handles more than 12,000 e-mails and more than 70,000 telephone calls from more than two hundred countries and territories.

4. There are several...Ringo Starr was the most popular response to this question

5. Discussions about ROE aside, the current Commander, NORAD, is General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr

So, all told, there were 9 correct answers submitted by ARCer within the specified time period. Using the number of cars in the ditch on the way to work this morning as my random number generator, submission #7, nerdling is tonight's winner! Congrats, please PM me your address for prize shipment.

Next question will be up in a bit!

Question #9

Tonight's Prize: Something Egg-citing!

IMG_5404.jpg

Tonight's question is for the ARC linguists.

How do you say "Merry Christmas" in:

Russian?

Danish?

German?

Hawaiian?

Polish?

It's 2330 in Alaska. You have 12 hours! Ready....GO!

Great and now I found why Waco only counted 3 people with correct answers for the Real #6 question, despite I got them all correct. Finished writing, left it in the draft box and didn't send. D'oh! BANGHEAD2.jpg I blame Mike tempting me with beer!whistle.gif

Question #9 answers sent.

Edited by Inquisitor

Either we've got a collection of cunning linguists here on ARC, or you've all developed mad google skillz over the last 9 days....pretty healthy response to this round. Still a few hours left...

I just wanted to post a quick update on prizes. We're nearing the end of this little holiday extravaganza (see how I didn't go for the cheap joke? Egg-stravaganza? You're better than that), with a mere three days left. With Day-12, the Grand Prize, still looming on the horizon, I wanted to assure you: it's a doozy. Seriously, this is a significant giveaway, with a lot of interest in the model-building world, and I think you guys will like it. So keep your eyes peeled!

Additionally, the contest for best PS of Mikey's drinking pics remains open! The winner of that little endeavor will take home a $100 Gift Card from TwoMikes Resin. So start PhotoShopping, kids!

PENCILS DOWN!!!

No less than 14 ARCers submitted the correct answers to the Christmas lingual challenge, but I have to give props to inquisitor, who certainly submitted the most complete and creative answer:

Russian: С Рождеством Христовым (s Rozdestvom Xristovym)

Danish: Glædelig Jul

German: Froehliche Weihnachten

Hawaiian: Mele Kalikimaka

Polish: Wesolych Swiat

And just because I speak this languages too.

Spanish: Feliz Navidad

Chinese: 圣诞快乐 (Shèngdàn kuàilè)

Japanese: メリークリスマス (merii kurisumasu)

And we can't leave the geeks and others out!

Latin: Felix dies Nativitatis

Esperanto: Gajan Kristnaskon

Klingon: QISmaS Quch Daghajjaj

Vulcan: horam Najulachti

Elvish: Ná merye i turuhalmeri!

Na'vi: sìltsan trr -fa nawm ay-t<er>ìng

And for our future overlords

Binary: 01001101011001010111001001110010011110010010000001 00001101101000011100100110100101110011011101000110 11010110000101110011

So to inquisitor, a very 0001111010011101101011 to you too!

Of the 14 correct answers, I went out and gridded the snow strewn front lawn, and waited for our nightly moose visitor to make a moose nuggets deposit in one of the numbered squares. Not sure if you count a moose pooping in your number lucky or not, but congratulations to majortomski, the winner of the Eggplanes set! Majortomski, please PM me your address.

Number 10 will be posted shortly!

Of the 14 correct answers, I went out and gridded the snow strewn front lawn, and waited for our nightly moose visitor to make a moose nuggets deposit in one of the numbered squares. Not sure if you count a moose pooping in your number lucky or not, but congratulations to majortomski, the winner of the Eggplanes set! Majortomski, please PM me your address.

:rofl:

Outstanding!