Definitive Evidence of Gridlines on TOS Enterprise

Just to point out even another point, the original color would be the one under the wood work by the impulse engines. Not expose to enviromental issues and such

And on the top of the saucer pylon when the saucer is removed, plus on any other areas where plug detail was added. When Gary Kerr did his color research during the Miarecki restoration, they got paint samples from a few of these covered up areas to see what the original coloring was.

Just something to throw out there, a friend of mine had me build one of the AMT classics back in the 80's for him. He was colorblind, and the only way the ship looked right to him was painted in a sky blue.

Thanks Jay, I did not know the full story on the paint match up.

Not so. If you watch Where No Man Has Gone Before, a.k.a. "The Second Pilot", they faithfully recreated the Enterprise as it originally appeared in that episode. The bridge is taller, the dish is bigger, and the warp nacelles have red domes with spikes. But it doesn't change within the same episode, which was a goofy thing to see in the original version.

I'll have to go back and see what they did for Mirror, Mirror.

You misunderstood what I was saying.

Of course the ship was correct throughout the Second Pilot episode. The Production version updates had not been done yet. They only had footage of the 11ft second pilot version at that time. This was the first time the 11ft model was on-screen. The Cage used the 3ft model exclusively and none of that footage of the 3ft model was used in the Second Pilot.

What I said was... By the time we get to season 3 in the original release, you could see all three versions of the ship in a single episode based on stock footage used over and over again. The Remastered version remedies this by having the appropriate version of the ship in accordance to the time frame of the episode throughout that episode - no mixing of versions from one scene to the next in seasons 2 and 3.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 2 months later...

You misunderstood what I was saying.

Ok, I see.
Of course the ship was correct throughout the Second Pilot episode.

It could have been incorrect throughout the remastered Second Pilot episode. That was my point.

The Production version updates had not been done yet. They only had footage of the 11ft second pilot version at that time.
But they had all the footage of the whole series to look at when they made the remastered episodes. I was delighted that they stayed true to the Second Pilot. I was disappointed they didn't have the AMT style Bridge, B and C decks when they remastered the Constellation.
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course the ship was correct throughout the Second Pilot episode. The Production version updates had not been done yet. They only had footage of the 11ft second pilot version at that time. This was the first time the 11ft model was on-screen. The Cage used the 3ft model exclusively and none of that footage of the 3ft model was used in the Second Pilot.

Actually, the 11 footer was used for ONE shot in "The Cage" and that was the beauty shot at the beginning that ended with a tight pull in to the bridge. That same shot was also re-used in the version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that aired on TV (the original pilot with the Quinn Martin style five acts didn't use it) for the galactic barrier sequence. You can tell it is the 1st pilot style due to the detail work on the front of the bridge dome. Plus, the sides of the saucer don't have the black coloring either.