1/35 - Austrian Black Hawk - Academy

My goal is to use everything I learned from this project: http://s97.beta.photobucket.com/user/BlenderPilot/library/Delavnica/HMA1%20Merlin and put it into large scale. I'll start on Austrian army's Black hawk with external fuel tanks on ESSS. It will be stationary on the ground, sliding doors open, cockpit doors closed.

IMG_9824copy.jpg

After getting a lot of photos from the internet i got enough and started shaping this beast into correct shape. The openings at the middle section are totaly different that on actual airframe so some cuts needed to be made. Also, clearing all the holes for mesh and thinning the surrounding area.

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

The rivets are mostly off and so are some panel lines. I won't go into perfection with those, but enough to get a feel for the structure. I decided to do the rivets with the riveter- 1,25 spacing. Archer rivets didn't impress me as you can mostly see the base film and the rivets would need to be of the smallest size just to get the bigger ones covered (6mm on real vs. 0,2 mm on model).

I made some service covers from lead foil- It doesn't look convincing now, but when painted it should do the trick.

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

Edited by Phoinix
  • 3 weeks later...

I found an available hour in my schedule and continued with riveting. Its frustrating to look for different blackhawk versions, different rivet layout just to get seconds of riveting done.

2BBAC48F-1F4B-4B5D-9D6D-93E3811A34BE-117-00000000C1BD6B5A.jpg

4AB78D31-5EA9-4740-924C-63CB9B1E5443-117-00000000CFED5A4C.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

lol, just noticed your location :D/>

according to the SDS we are now Zombieland as well, so you coming from a graveyard in a zombieland... :D/>

Soooo, I should accept all parties to come to the graveyard... for good :)

Each noticable deviation from the real heli will be corrected, and getting the beefy plastics thin is one of them. I'm thinking, the engine cowlings will be one of those "make it or brake it" features on this one so I'll take my time.

97f561235a4d55bc087fb292b99e5b0d.jpg

Obvious before and after:

fa4df441f51a52ffafd852077cfb4ae2.jpg

Front part also gets its treat. Not the most fitting part.

e0154737653ea5ce271a0362afbca3bf.jpg

It's funny how looking at the reference photos you learn features about the real thing you never knew - for me thats the curved aft side of the main rotor opening.

6b1c42c635fa67643fdd19a89fbfab0d.jpg

Working on it...

Does anybody know what can be seen through the opening FWD and up from eng intake's "NO STEP" (little round opening, on both sides of the cowling)? Hydraulics are FWD of that cowling.

Also, any good top shots for upper structure-walkways especially- would be appreciated.

Edited by Phoinix

Engraving on the sides is roughly done, and the sides are temporarily together for finishing the upper and lower airframe. This heli has as many openings as does swiss cheese. None on the basic model of course, thats what makes it fun.

0418EA1F-190A-4607-8853-3967AC492993-2115-000000D74A326D95.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

Behind the engine air inlet fairing(black thing marked no step) there is actually a hollow tube running off the input module up into that accessory mod. Inside of that tube was the output shaft that drove the accessory module that has the generators and hydraulic pumps attached to them. Sorry no pics right now, but if you go to google images and type I'm uh-60 input module or accessory module, I'm sure you'll find something.

Thank you, I'm on it.

My link

Got it... To my amazement, there is nothing special to look at through those two holes. Hydraulics and generator are fwd of that inspection hole... And I'm afraid its actually a part of input module I'll need to build.

Edited by Phoinix

Those holes are actually nothing more than grab holds for you to put your hand on and grab when you are climbing up the side of the chopper. The're not inspection holes like people think they are sometimes. Keep up the good work, it's looking good!

I actually did waste $20 but not for riveting the outside of the structure. I might use it on some engine detailing, not on this one, but for future projects. I checked HGW (I didn't know about that company before, so thanks for sharing) and its stunning what they did on some planes. Unfortunately they didn't do a black hawk. I'll check their rivets, but just by looking at that Huey, they seem big.

I was fooling around with RB's saws, just to check if I can do something and to my amazement, they are great. Any close up shots for detailing the suppressor bracket?

BH_014_zps3e2a8234.jpg

I went for ESSS and found huge gaps between the elements. Academy should do another black hawk, this time like it is... as I noticed huge discrepancy between the model and real thing just by looking at my desktop photo. The real deal has lower structure just behind the top cockpit windows, exposing the upper housing guide rails and than the structure climbs back up to ESSS shround.

IMG_9825_zps613d092d.jpg

BH_015_zpse1801449.jpg

So I went for repairing the dog house rail holes and continued with grinding off the upper fuselage structure so it seems a bit more convincing... at least to me :D/>

BH_016_zpsf5621737.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

Thank you Oliver,

Yes it would look interesting, but it would take such a long time, and I have so many projects waiting. If I make one model (the current way) per year, I'm good till my 50th birthday, and that would not clear my stash :D

I'll just make what is visible through the openings, nothing more, nothing less (I hope)

With my Bug and the edge of Eduard etch I made the rails for the upper cowling (doghouse) which is light years from what Academy intended to represent rails. I used bison epoxy to attach it and level the rail with the structure.

BH_0017_zpscb4e5fbc.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

Thank you Mason,

some update: I fitted the dog house on the rails and I added the primer to the airframe (not on the photos), so I finished a step in the airframe process (underside engraving is left for later).

BH_0018_zpsbbabc337.jpg

BH_0019_zpsbdded86e.jpg

Next steps will be on the interior, but not the cabin. I'm talking about the XMSN deck, tail rotor gearboxes and stuff that is visible through the openings.

Its so much work doing it in 35 scale, so many details you really need to focus on only one, otherwise its into the box, for times where time is of no essence... never completed sign above.

I have got to remmember to take good reference photos from this one to make the pavehawk build easy for myself. So many details go by unnoted easily.