1/35 - Austrian Black Hawk - Academy

Thank you camophilip. On with the works. Studying for ATPL requires its share of relaxing.

A tailboom positioned mesh of yet unknown purpose and APU exhaust - just a dry fit. Its so easy to work on dental lead foil, just a few minutes of work, some mat black and it will look just like the real one.

BH_0028.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

Scratchin' was the main thing or today, as academy didn't think the chin window would show a lot... but it does. I got working on the pedestal, which is different from eduard and the tail rotor pedals. These required a bit more effort as I wasn't satisfied with academy+eduard solution.

BH_0029.jpg

BH_0030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In macro detail, where you don't notice errors due to scalpel displacement on styren, you need to ask yourself what is the point in going deeper.

A milimeter part is huge and I lost about 30% of parts in the making. I'm slowly getting from CA to epoxy, as I'm not able to use CA when it dryes faster than I am able to get parts together. I'm still strugling with painting details. If I can hold it with tweezers its no problem, but hydraulic line markings are just too much, so I'm still using a brush.

Hats of to gurus that go into making switches :D

BH_0031.jpg

Fantastic job, love the detail work on the hoses and electrical cables.

Are you going to correct the out of alignment IR suppressors? I would love to do a UH-60 build but just don't have the courage to tackle that part of the project.

Regards,

John

The IR suppressors on stock model are a joke, so indeed, I will correct them. I'm going to finish on the interior first and than on the exterior. The cockpit will be a pain. Olthough the screens will be off, I still need to make them as all I've got are steam instrument panels.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the whole day for this part of the project and I dedicated it to the enigma - glass cockpit. It took a lot of time and ideas but if I take what will be seen through the door windows its all right. It ain't no sick precision work as I was already at my paiting and cutting limits.

BH_0032.jpg

Ding Ding Ding. Hey Swandberg, I think we have a winner. You need to get him to cast that IP up for when you tackle the Mike upgrade set man!

The detail you have added to this kit so far has been amazing. I'm working on a US Army version right now, and I'm trying to add what I can as well, but I'm no where near your level at this point. I've enjoyed following along with your progress. Keep up the great work.

Aaron

Hold on there bubba Louie!!!

Thank you, but the mobile photos might got you confused in the detail of my build. I'm not Eastern :) I took my canon and here are the fresh macro photos full of small glitches. Still missing are the two selector panels on the lower center position.

BH_0033.jpg

BH_0035.jpg

There is even a gap between the lower whindshield frame and the IP sunshield, which I'm hoping won't be so obvious later in the build.

BH_0034.jpg

Edited by Phoinix

BH_0036.jpg

Done with the cockpit (only some small details missing which I'm sure nobody will notice). I can't belive I made my first scratch cockpit (>50%). It was easier than I thought and by the looks it will add a great number of details to the Black Hawk.

PS #1: What is the twist grip look-a-like on the center part of the collective? The manual throttles are on the top pedestal, right? On the reference photos it looks like a single engine throttle control but that would not make sense.

PS #2: Why is the copilots collective banked towards the pilot whereas the pilots is level? Did they have trouble fitting the huge switch board in the airframe like I had? :)/>

EDIT: Almost forgot. B*tching so much about CC's resin upgrades, this time I have to say they did a good job on the collective and cyclic sticks. They still need some work, but its a 100% better start compared to standard Academy's. Also, the seats are alright but I sanded off the belts as I will use Eduards set.

Edited by Phoinix

Thank you.

Aaron, what scale are you building it? 35?

Yep. 35th scale. Starting out with the Academy UH-60L kit and adding the CC interior and exterior upgrade sets, and parts of the Eduard sets as well. And even WITH the macro, it still looks pretty damn good to me.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Phoenix, the PCL's or power control levers are located at the front of the upper console. These are the H-60 engine throttles.

The co-pilot's collective can twist 90 degrees and down to allow him to climb into the cockpit whereas the pilot's does not because its not in the way, and there is no twist grip on the black hawk's collective stick like the Bell helicopters.

HTH

Tim

Aaron, thank you. I'll have some spare parts from CC if you didn't buy them yet.

Tim, thank you for the explanation. Is this any different now in newer versions of S-70 or is it the same? A wild guess... is the "twist grip" than friction control for collective?

uh-60a_46_of_56.jpg

Thank you, however, its already glued in place. The dry fitting part got me anxious about the wireing and I needed to give it a try, I'm sorry. Its not hard to make, really :)

I started working on the seats and this will be another detail to work on. Forget the front part, as the sliding door will be open, the back of the pilots seat will be a real challenge. While we are at it, where is the cabin and gunners audio panel located? I cant find it on the photos I've got. Perhaps for the gunners on the rear of pilots seats?