8th AF Red Tail - What Color?

I have been searching for a reference that species the red color used on the tails of the 8th AF B-17's.

I assume that Insignia Red would be the most likely ... but no specific references have been found.

Any information or suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Charlie

Unless you're making a factory fresh paint job it'll be faded anyway. The new revell kit calls it carmin red for the red on little miss mischief. I plan on just using insignia red as B said.

Edited by Bigasshammm

This to me is one of those things that shouldnt be overthought.

Very, very, very wise words!

As for fading, keep in mind how long the red paint would have been seen on an 8th AF B-17 - a matter of a few months before the end of the war. And the climate in England isn't exactly balmy or tropical. The sun isn't particularly strong, and the amount of time a B-17 spent in sunlight at altitude vs. sitting on the ground under leaden grey English overcast was tiny. Which explains why you don't see a lot photos of really faded red tails :)

I'd generally say insignia red as well. This to me is one of those things that shouldnt be overthought.

Agreed. I think it mainly comes down to a matter of preference. Insignia Red, at least the Model Master version of it, is slightly darker and less yellow than generic red. That may appeal to you, or you may want a real scarlet.

Pip

Very, very, very wise words!

As for fading, keep in mind how long the red paint would have been seen on an 8th AF B-17 - a matter of a few months before the end of the war. And the climate in England isn't exactly balmy or tropical. The sun isn't particularly strong, and the amount of time a B-17 spent in sunlight at altitude vs. sitting on the ground under leaden grey English overcast was tiny. Which explains why you don't see a lot photos of really faded red tails :)/>

I concur. I believe we're speaking of the 1st Air Division aircraft (i.e. 91st, 381st BG's, etc.). The red tails/wingtips first appeared in July of 1944 and were used until the end of the war. I do believe that the original finish of the paint was glossy/semi-glossy but cannot confirm that part. Of all the photos I have of 91st forts from July 44 onward, none appear to be weathered to any degree except for the fact that the paint has gone flat.

Ah yes, the old color photo of Little Miss Mischief getting her red on. I had forgotten about that photo. Thanks for reminding me.

It's a classic picture - I always thought the painters were using two different shades of red until I realised it is the shadow of the scaffolding making the bottom part look darker!