Show us your 2012 builds!

I've only finished four so far this year, but they are an eclectic bunch. I may get a couple more wrapped up before the clock strikes midnight on December 31, but that will depend on a few things. So far though, I've got the following:

Studio scale replica model of the USS Constellation from the classic Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine". This model was built from a similar vintage AMT kit as the original one used to make the effects model in the episode and I tried to replicate the original battle damage to the model as best as I could. I did update the markings though and made some corrections to areas on the model that weren't seen on camera.

connie8.jpg

connie7.jpg

Next up was Topper Harley's jet from the movie Hot Shots. The model is built from Airfix's brand new 1/72 Folland Gnat kit and features a combination of markings from the spares box and custom made decals.

fingnat2.jpg

fingnat3.jpg

Next we have the 13 hour one day build of Revell's classic Douglas D-558 Phase 2 Skyrocket. I started at about 5 AM and finished work at 6 PM the same day. I made sure the address the seams and the model was primered with Tamiya Fine white primer and sprayed with Tamiya Pure White gloss spray (which dried rock hard and ready to accept decals in about an hour). The fit of this model was pretty good for late 1950s vintage and better than some more recent kits I've built.

skyrocket1_zpsd9b0f58a.jpg

skyrocket2_zps72f813d4.jpg

And my most recent completed project is a 1/48 pre-war 19 Squadron Spitfire built from the Airfix Mk I/II kit. I did this for a GB over at Britmodeller.com. While the kit had some of the pre-war Spitfire features, I had to make numerous other little modifications (some subtle, others not quite so subtle) to the model to get it accurate. But I had a lot of fun doing it.

spitfin8.jpg

spitfin6.jpg

I'm on track to finish one more kit this year as well. I just shot the gloss black undersides of the Tamiya 1/100 B-52D. I'm sure hoping it's done by the end of the year because it's supposed to be my old man's Christmas present. He worked on B-52's from 74-90 and I figured it would be better than another set of dishes that he has no room for. I shot the gloss black the other day, and am hoping to be ready to handle it today so that I can get the camo started on top. That's a really nice kit, a bit of a weird scale, but still fun none the less. I'll post a few pictures when I get her wrapped up. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the week so that I can have a few days to look it over for any tweaks.

Hey guys, for me it's been quite a productive year, although some of 'em where started way back in 2011. All of the models are in 1/48 scale.

MiG-21M Sudanese AF

f6.jpg

F-104G Turkish AF

4.JPG

MiG-15 Egyptian AF

7.jpg

MiG-21UM Yugoslav AF

a1.jpg

Su-7BMK Algerian AF

7.jpg

F6F-5N Hellcat VMF(N)-541

6.JPG

MiG-21bis D Croatian AF

6.JPG

Breda Ba.65 Royal Iraqi AF

DSCF5383.JPG

Messerschmitt Bf110D-3 4./NJG 1

DSCF5434.JPG

Messerschmitt Bf109F-4 6./JG 5

DSCF5545.JPG

cheers

Vasko

It's nowhere near the amazing quality of the other builds in this thread, but it is my second completed build of this year... everything else has languished because I've been working on them, trying to make them as good as I possibly can. So I needed to do something purely for *fun* - everything else was secondary. So I did this, start to finish, this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday.

It's a what-if, of a "might yet happen" variety: Dassault CF-190 Rafale, of 425 Sqn.

100_0298.jpg

100_0302.jpg

100_0305.jpg

And despite (or because of?) doing this only for pure fun, and not being worried about anything else, this has turned out to be one of my best masking jobs!

It was the Hobby Boss Rafale C kit (1/72), went together like a dream. Decals were a mix of kit and Leading Edge.

It's nowhere near the amazing quality of the other builds in this thread, but it is my second completed build of this year... everything else has languished because I've been working on them, trying to make them as good as I possibly can. So I needed to do something purely for *fun* - everything else was secondary. So I did this, start to finish, this past weekend, Saturday and Sunday.

It's a what-if, of a "might yet happen" variety: Dassault CF-190 Rafale, of 425 Sqn.

100_0298.jpg

100_0302.jpg

100_0305.jpg

And despite (or because of?) doing this only for pure fun, and not being worried about anything else, this has turned out to be one of my best masking jobs!

It was the Hobby Boss Rafale C kit (1/72), went together like a dream. Decals were a mix of kit and Leading Edge.

Nice, the Rafale looks good in Canadian colours!!! I'd post my builds on here but seeing as I've yet to finish one.....

Edited by tdogg

Great work everybody! Man, the members here are really talented!

I got 3 done this year, none of which are really competitive...but I'm still learning!

1. Italeri 1:48 F-22A Raptor

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

2. Revell 1:48 F-8E Crusader

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

3. Revell Germany 1:48 F/A-18F Super Hornet

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

Happy Holidays to all! Hope to see plenty more new models in 2013!

Jerry

In order of appearance.

Canadiar F-86 MK2

Hasegawa 1/32 kit with modified Aries cockpit. Modified forward windscreen (although not exactly correct), and custom made decals. Still working on my NMF techniques.

Dsc_0720.jpg

BF-109

Trumpeter 1/32 scale kit completely out of box. The first (scale) BF-109 I've ever done and the first 100% out of box build I'd done in a few years. Gave me a chance to try some different camouflage schemes and weathering techniques.

Dsc_0725.jpg

Avro CF-105 Arrow and F-102

The new Hobbycraft Arrow kit alongside its little brother from Hasegawa. The Arrow uses decals from my decal line. The Dart is built out of box.

Dsc_0864.jpg

CP-140 Aurora

1/72 Hasegawa P-3 kit kit built up (using kit parts) as the CP-140. All decals and markings are from my own decal line.

Dsc_0738.jpg

And finally...

2010 CF-18 Demo Aircraft

1/72 hobby boss kit with numerous corrections made to the air frame. Custom decals.

Dsc_0882.jpg

Edited by RiderFan

Gentlemen, I share with you the work completed this 2012

SAM_1184_zpsb6f6a93c.jpg

F-15C msip2 academy 1/48

SAM_1092_8767_1234_temp.jpg

F4-F3 wildcat trumpeter 1/32

SAM_0053.jpg

F-14 A hasegawa 1/48

SAM_0782.jpg

Rafale B 1/48 hobbyboss

f-5e-0036.jpg

F-5 E 1/48 afv club

SAM_0625.jpg

F/A 18 C hobbyboss 1/48

the list for 2013, if they had the 21/12/12 is as follows

SU-27 B academy1/48

MIG-29 A 1/48 academy

Spitfire mkV 1/32 HobbyBoss

F-14 B 1/48 VF-103

and a couple of bf 109 scale 1/32

congratulations and a happy 2013

Great work everybody! Man, the members here are really talented!

I got 3 done this year, none of which are really competitive...but I'm still learning!

3. Revell Germany 1:48 F/A-18F Super Hornet

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

Happy Holidays to all! Hope to see plenty more new models in 2013!

Jerry

I built that same Revell kit this year. It was a pretty nice build, and that scheme was simply awesome. Had a good time throwing that one together, and certainly favor that one over Hasegawa's F model not only for price, but ease of build. Not too over engineered, but still above quality results. Good work.

Gentlemen, I share with you the work completed this 2012

SAM_1184_zpsb6f6a93c.jpg

F-15C msip2 academy 1/48

SAM_1092_8767_1234_temp.jpg

F4-F3 wildcat trumpeter 1/32

SAM_0053.jpg

F-14 A hasegawa 1/48

SAM_0782.jpg

Rafale B 1/48 hobbyboss

f-5e-0036.jpg

F-5 E 1/48 afv club

SAM_0625.jpg

F/A 18 C hobbyboss 1/48

the list for 2013, if they had the 21/12/12 is as follows

SU-27 B academy1/48

MIG-29 A 1/48 academy

Spitfire mkV 1/32 HobbyBoss

F-14 B 1/48 VF-103

and a couple of bf 109 scale 1/32

congratulations and a happy 2013

Nice work all around on those. I don't even want to beging trying to figure out how you did the digital camo on that Rafale. Looks pretty complex.

I've only finished four so far this year, but they are an eclectic bunch. I may get a couple more wrapped up before the clock strikes midnight on December 31, but that will depend on a few things. So far though, I've got the following:

Next up was Topper Harley's jet from the movie Hot Shots. The model is built from Airfix's brand new 1/72 Folland Gnat kit and features a combination of markings from the spares box and custom made decals.

fingnat2.jpg

fingnat3.jpg

Love this one, Jay. You did an especially great job of replicating the Mrs. Halvor's Series Radar Jamming Framus.

:cheers:/>

Justin