Green colour for Mig-21 using Testors paints

Does anyone know of a good colour match for the green nose cone, wheel hubs, tail etc.... on Mig-21s (and some SU-27s and Mig-29s for that matter) by Testors specifically? Tamiya has a really good match but it always peels onece I mask it, but I've never had Testors peel.

Does anyone know of a good colour match for the green nose cone, wheel hubs, tail etc.... on Mig-21s (and some SU-27s and Mig-29s for that matter) by Testors specifically? Tamiya has a really good match but it always peels onece I mask it, but I've never had Testors peel.

One reference suggests Testors FS34092 Euro I Dark Green as an equivalent for Xtracolor Russian wheel hub green X628; you might want to double-check that equivalence for yourself though.

John

Someone in the work in progress section did a really nice mig-21 and had a similar concern, someone posted a photo showing various shades of green, so dont worry about it too much, or if youre using a reference of a specific aircraft just eyeball it.

There is no single color. There's a whole **rainbow** of possible colors. Just look at photos. I've got pics of MiG-21s with three or four different colors for wheels, radomes, and antennas, all on the same airframe at the same time.

In my experience, Euro I Dark Green is definitely the closest they've got for stuff from the 70's onward, at least for the wheel hubs; without a doubt. With early MiG-21's and earlier MiGs I've found a different, darker shade was generally used; I tend toward the Medium Green with a touch of Green Drab. For MiG-3's and -9's I use the Green Drab.

Now, this is all for the wheel hubs, mind you. For the Radomes and Dielectric panels I've used stuff like Medium Green and Medium Field Green, sometimes with some of their Green Zinc Chromate (which looks like a green apple to me) mixed in.

There is one single colour for the radoms and dielectric panels, there is another colour for the wheels and a completely different colour for the afterburner rings and petals. They all look similar but are very different paints in real life. The colour for the delectric panels has not changed for decades!!! Same supplier, same paint is delivered to all manufacturers (there are /there were not too many of them). It is a myth created in the West that there were so many different colours used! Somewhere before I did post both photos of it and F.S. numbers.

The most important thing is to have a close look at the references of the particular aircraft you are building!

Different original samples, from differing years of manufacture show exactly the same colour of green on them! They are all factory fresh!!!

One has to know that this is true for when the aircraft are/were made, in years of service there will be some changes in the shade of the original green but still the originating colour can be used as a starting point. An important note is that aircraft will undergo overhaul and from here on what ever paint is available will be used by the overhaul companies all around the world (they dont get the original Russian paint!). So in time you can find even some very strange colours on the MiG dielectric panels!

Wheel hubs tend to have the same colour, it is the same colour as the one used on Russian civilian airliners too.

As for the afterburner green it is a very different ceramic paint for which the overhaul companies did not have anything to match it. Anything else would simply burn off. Standard procedure was to simply replace them with new ones in case of damage. In time that green faded to a yellowish-grey shade of green but almost every petal was different.

The same goes for the very distinct Russian cockpit blue (-green).

Best reagrds

Gabor

the best match I have found for the wheels is Imerial Japanese Navy Green, over grey primer.... like the color used on the zero....But you need a light grey primer to make the color stand out right...

radome colors are different..... some of the czec airframes have almost a park green color... but it is best to just consult your references and look at SEVERAL pics... to try to eliminate variances in photography lighting.... the best premixed colors seem to come from AKAN for Soviet stuff... but I use MM and Gunze alot more as Im not a big fan of acrylics......