Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat "Swett"

My latest project is finished..

This is my rendition of Lt. James Elms Swett Wildcat as flown on his famous Medal of Honor mission on 7 April 1943. This was his first combat mission and he became ace-in-a-day on that flight, shooting down 7 Japanese airplanes before being hit himself.. Not bad on your first day on the job..

He would end the war with 15,5 confirmed victories in 103 combat missions. He earned two Purple hearts, 8 DFC and of course the MoH..

The kit used is Tamiya. With Quickboost engine, Eduard Zoom set, CAM 48-111 decals, Ultracast wheels and seat (should have been with shoulder belts which I found out one day after I had the fuselage glued together..). Scratchbuild open cowl flaps, improved cockpit (no floor), gun sight, improved gun ports and metal tubes for guns.

Paint used was predominantly Mr. Color and Gunze with clear lacquers by Future and ModelMaster.

Eduard's color zoom set is wrong in color and so are the CAM insignias. The Tamiya insignia are of the wrong size as well.

Wildcat027.jpg

Wildcat024.jpg

Swett001.jpg

Swett002.jpg

Swett003.jpg

Swett004.jpg

Swett005.jpg

Swett006.jpg

Swett007.jpg

Swett008.jpg