1/48th Su-30 MKI Demo Bird, 'Blue 02'

Here's my 1/48th Su-30 MKI Demonstrator. I started with the Academy Su-30MK kit, and used parts from the Windmark Su-35/37 resin conversion set for the nose and canards ( I know it might not be the exact length, but this was my first attempt at a major conversion and wanted the experience working with resin for a possible 1/32nd Su-34 scratch conversion one day) I used the Begemot decals and full stencils, as well as Aires exhausts (I cut them at an angle to represent the thrust vectoring 'inward' position of the nozzles at rest). For the camouflage, I know its not perfect, but I wasn't going for perfection in this build and tried a new technique of masking most the entire upper surface with Tamiya masking sheets and then cutting it, enlarging the image by Begemot wouldn't work because the camouflage is not actually correct for Blue 02 (There are subtle differences between Demo 04 and 02) the technique I used didn't work as well as I thought, but live and learn I suppose. Enjoy!

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

WoW! :worship: what a beautiful Super-Flanker you got there!

it really looks like you invest a lot of efforts in it.

i really like it! particularly how the wash reveals all those fine details, and also all the shades on the exhaust and nozzle area.

you must/should be proud of you!

and i'm very happy i could have help you with the canopy!

This is a very nice build. I have been waiting for a long time for a solution to come along to convert the Su-27 to a modern 30,33,35,37. I have some decals for the Malaysian Su-30MKM and have an Academy 1:48 Su-27. Now there is a solution. Just the price seems a bit high but then thats resin for you. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Its a really great kit, just make sure you carefully cut on the panel lines of the kit. The only quirk is that since I used the two seat version of the su-30 some of the gun panel doesn't completely fit and needs to be carefully sanded in order for the resin to fit and rescribed to look right.