Speaking of Pearl Harbor Day

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when the media uses incorrect images while telling a story? On the local NBC news, they showed a flight of Dauntlesses dropping bombs then showed the Arizona blowing up. Is it too much to ask the media to fact check or get video and photographs correct while telling a story.

I wonder if in 71 years they will get September 11th right? Think it will always be stock footage of a DC-10 and then the burning towers? :(/>

We will say "thats not the right plane"

and people will say "who cares? its an airplane. Airplane + building. thats all you need to know"

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I wonder if in 71 years they will get September 11th right? Think it will always be stock footage of a DC-10 and then the burning towers? :(/>/>/>

We will say "thats not the right plane"

and people will say "who cares? its an airplane. Airplane + building. thats all you need to know"

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

Haha, it'll be the archive footage of the aftermath from when the B-25 ran into the Empire State Building. Then all of our kids will ask us if the world was black and white when we grew up

Edited by rightwinger26

The SBD footage is from a USN film about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's likely the people who use the footage rely on the Navy's research and don't concern themselves with accuracy.

Ken

The SBD footage is from a USN film about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's likely the people who use the footage rely on the Navy's research and don't concern themselves with accuracy.

Ken

Wait just a darned minute!!!!!! Are you saying the media doesn't concern itself with accuracy?! I'm shocked! :sarcasm_on::whistle:

Actually, it's from a film the Navy asked John Ford to make. real Vals not being available, Ford used navy foorage of SBDs dropping in formation. The Hinamarus were suoerimposed over the US star insignia, and in a good copy of the sequence, you can see the stars peeking through the dark discs.. I have personally railed about this for years, as I have of the torpedo bomber sequence, whereas it's a Gvenger, and not a . And on that one, if you look carefully, you'll note that no attempts has been made to cover up the fuselage star. Thety just don't care, and really have no one from any reputable source for tech advisors. They ger someone with initials after their name, indicating a collegte education, whereas they's do far better to hire someone like you or I.

I recall a sequence regarding the invasion of France in 1940, showing Panther tanks crashing through the brush. They just don't care, As the general public as a whole just doesn't know the difference.. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

It's not that the general public doesn't know, so the media doesn't care about accuracy. It's the general public and the media don't know the difference, only us geeky aircraft fans. Media organisations don't have an 'Aircraft Recognition Department' - they don't have the resources or, more importantly, the time to verify every tiny detail of a news report. The channel says 'We need to run a report on Pearl Harbor' and the guys who put the report together have a very short period of time (usually only a few hours) to find appropriate footage - and lo and behold, here's some film that the USN commissioned about Pearl Harbor so we'll use that. Now, if they guy who puts the report together is an aircraft nut he might have time to find some more accurate footage, but the guy who puts the report together has a college degree in journalism and media techniques, not history.

The role of the news media is not to be 100% accurate - it is to get the essence of the story across in a short time frame. Almost all news reports will be inaccurate to some degree because of the time constraints involved.

Vince

Wait just a darned minute!!!!!! Are you saying the media doesn't concern itself with accuracy?! I'm shocked! :sarcasm_on:/>/>/>/> :whistle:/>/>/>/>

To quote Don Henley (The Eagles) I make my living on the evening news (skip to)........Well I could've been and actor but I would up here...I just have look good I don't have to be clear...add to that correct.

I'm 60+ and I often forget things...BUT dates in our recent history are not among them; 6/6/44, 9/2/45, and 9/11/01 will always be on the top of the list in that group. When the news shows an incorrect ship or aircraft to emphasize a report..I feel they are insulting my intelligence, thinking folks who know the difference don't care or are not watching. Who the 'ell do they think watches the news; a teenager with boys or girls or the latest hip-hop/rap tune on their mind.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when the media uses incorrect images while telling a story? On the local NBC news, they showed a flight of Dauntlesses dropping bombs then showed the Arizona blowing up. Is it too much to ask the media to fact check or get video and photographs correct while telling a story.

C'mon! We've been getting it wrong since 1941. According to Hollywood, it was the Germans who bombed Pearl Harbor and it was Rafe and Danny that defended Hawaii......

:wacko:

Man! Get your story straight......

...unless the younger generation are aware that the images used, posted or shown, or that a footage shown or used in war movies/ films etc are wrong then WE WILL never know .

I watch war movies and simply accept what I see as I was born in a different time and era to those that are aware etc. that what has been shown is wrong or depicted wrong.

It's not that I do not care but how would I know that what I am seeing ,watching is incorrect if I have no idea in the first place. B)

If I knew then I would be a tad peeved that the movie makers are not bothering to get their facts correct.

HOLMES :coolio:

No - I get annoyed as well. The one video clip that bothers me the most is the film of the Arizona blowing up is flopped. I've seen it shown correctly only a few times over the decades. And of course, the Dauntlesses, which is explained elsewhere in this thread.