1/48 F-14A kit

Monogram hands down, at least for me (wings can pivot and you can display it as you want)...referring to your specific question...Academy, if you don´t mind too much about the somewhat strange nose....

:salute:

Since I've built or own Revell/Monogram, Hasegawa and Hobbyboss F-14s I'd go with the Hobbyboss.

Sure, this intake is slightly misshapen. But in reality, when its sitting on your shelf, you won't even notice. And if you put it next to a Hasegawa kit I'll bet you can't tell the difference. The Hasegawa cockpit is unbelievably bad, in my opinion, and you'll end up getting a $30 resin pit to replace it. The HB pit is alot better and is manageable OOB.

It also depends on what configuration you're planning on. If you want the plane dirty (i.e. all the flaps down, stabs in drooped positions) then you have to get the Hasegawa or the HB kit. If you're going to pose her clean with the wings swept back then go with the Revell kit. With the $$$ you save on the Revell kit you can buy some AM stuff and bring her up to specs.

Just my $.02

Well as expected there are a lot of opinions.

I am looking for a fairly accurate A model.

Dagger said:

"Academy, if you don´t mind too much about the somewhat strange nose...."

I saw a Tomcat at a show this weekend that looked funny. I believe it was the Academy so it's out. I didn't like it. Plus the sidewinders looked to short. i don't know if they were the kit winders or scratch but they didn't look right.

So it looks like the Academy is out. Since it will be posed on land it will have the wings back and loaded ready to start turning so I may change to Has, HB or Revell.

Thanks for the response.

Alan

IYAOYAS!

Edited by Billabob

Do you want to build a specific F-14A or just some F-14A variant?

I am planning to build one or two that represent birds that were in one of the airwings I was in. VF-24 and VF-211 both from CAG 9 on the Constellation in '78-'79.

Edited by Billabob

I am planning to build one or two that represent birds that were in one of the airwings I was in. VF-24 and VF-211 both from CAG 9 on the Constellation in '78-'79.

Then the Hobby Boss Tomcat should fit your project without the need for any aftermarket products.

Hobby Boss or Revell/Monogram, then (closest out of box). You'd still need to cut the ECM blister off the boat tail of the revellogram (unless you can find one of the old boxings, like the VF-33 boxing, which was made before they got those) but otherwise it's accurate for anywhere from a block 75 to a block 115 F-14A. Cutting off the ECM blister is a small price to pay considering the cost difference between the Revellogram kit and the hobby boss (which somehow manages to be more expensive than the Hasegawa, whilst offering an inferior product)