Trumpeter Albatross

God, that's gonna be HYOOOOOOGE! Too big for my house. I hope they'll shrink them down and put them in HB boxes in 1/72. I've probably built ten of the Monogram kits, but it's 60 years old, so it's kind of time for a replacement :)

• 2 months later...

The parts are broken down so they can do the B as well as an ASW version with the big radar nose. I just hope they do the Canadian cowlings.

Let's also hope they catch the negative camber under the outer panels on the B that Monogram missed 55 years ago.

Edited by Jennings
  • 1 month later...

<sigh> Looks like another kit I won't be able to afford. I was really hoping Revell would do this one. I might have been able to afford one of those… :boohoo:

Edited by DonSS3

Why wait for Trumpy to release a Condor? The Revell AG Fw-200 is a gorgeous kit..it's hard to imagine Trumpeter doing it better (my only minor complaint is that it doesn't come with the earlier, smaller dorsal turret.)

SN

>>>Oh Trumpeter, if only you'd have released this one in 1/72<<<

Add me to the list of fellows who would love to see this re-sized to 1:72! It's not exactly a grail kit for me, at least not enough to do all the work to spruce up the 50+ year old Monogram. But I'd be happy to put a new-tool version into the display case.

Taiwanese markings? Never thought I'd see that on a Chinese-made kit.

SN

Interesting, looking at the SB item page, it shows the full color ROC roundel on the decal and painting page, but on the side of the box there seems to just be a solid dark circle in place of the roundel. Maybe it's not displayed on the box like the swastika in Germany?

Edit: looking at this, it appears they have segmented the ROC markings on the decal sheet, like some companies do with the swastika.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=14091

Edited by Dave Williams

Any chance you'll be making some decals for this bird?

I certainly will, I mentioned some of my plans here. And if the decal sheet really looks like what is shown in the instructions, you can be sure that I am going to provide a replacement for those ridiculous curved walkways. I don't like making generalizations, but I looked at dozens of photographs (in Ginter's book, Mutza's book and elsewhere) and I can't find a single Albatross that had curved overwing walkways like that.

Edited by KursadA

I'm not sure that you actually get those curved walkway decals in the kit. I don't see them on the decal pictures on Trumpeter's web page and the painting instructions show that you paint the yellow on the USAF machine. The black outlines are shown on both schemes, but there doesn't seem to be any decal number associated with them.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/product/fly/1_48_Series/2013/0405/2365.html

To be honest, it's fairly easy to just paint the walkways correctly.

I'm not sure that you actually get those curved walkway decals in the kit. I don't see them on the decal pictures on Trumpeter's web page and the painting instructions show that you paint the yellow on the USAF machine. The black outlines are shown on both schemes, but there doesn't seem to be any decal number associated with them.

Thanks for posting the link to Trumpeter's product page: I now see that the decal sheet does not have the walkways, and the drawings are intended as a guide for painting. I am sure many modelers can paint these easily; but they have thin black outlines that may be challenging to some modellers. I am still inclined to either include the walkways as a decal, or just provide decals for the outlines and offer a vinyl mask for painting these.

Edited by KursadA

Count me as another who would like a HU-16B to do the Canadian aircraft. However having said that there are some striking schemes on the A version. And then Kursad is planning the JMSDF version and I am all over that. Not too crazy about the price as it stands now but maybe if I wait awhile it will come down.

As for the 1/72nd version I would lay money on Hobby Boss coming out with one in 1/72nd using the Trumpeter data.