Trumpeter Albatross

I've got to fondle the plastic on this one toady, & I must say that I am impressed. Good panel lines, thoughtful placement of rivets, and plenty of detail. Definitely going on my 'to-get' list.

The one nit pick so far is the US insignia is out of proportion...the white of the bars cuts into the blue roundel of the star...good thing there are Caracal deals in the pipes!

The insignia are correct. The US national insignia consists of a white star on a blue circle, with whit bars, all surrounded by a blue border. When the bars were added in 1943, the border was red, but it was changed to blue a few months later. The red bar was added in 1947 when the USAF became a separate service.

One of my pet peeves is seeing restored warbirds or movie aircraft that have the insignia depicted as just having the bars tacked onto the sides of the circle. A silly nitpick I admit, but it always sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

This is the correctly proportioned insignia..

star_and_bar.jpg

An this is the way it's often incorrectly rendered..

star_and_barwrong.jpg

SN

Edited by Steve N

I see it comes with metal landing gear as an option, see "Assembly guide2" for parts breakdown and nose gear, and "Assembly guide14" for main gear. I daresay that would be a primary aftermarket purchase on a beast like this. I got SAC metal gear for the Trumpeter 1/48 Ju-52/3m that I'll do as a pre-war airliner, LOT SP-AKZ

It's going to be hard to resist the siren song of this beast, despite the many years of life my stash will have beyond mine... :boohoo:/>

I received my kit today. I didn't have time to take photos today, but let me know if you'd like to see a close-up of any sprue or area. Overall, I think it looks very good in the box and Trumpeter seems to have done a good job. I don't have any plans, but overall wingspan fits the values quoted in the Ginter book exactly.

The surface detailing is very good with engraved panel lines and restrained rivet detail. I think the metal undercarriage is a good touch. There is an almost complete interior and much of seems accurate judging by the interior drawings and photos in the Ginter book.

Trumpeter clearly thought about future versions: the nose radome area is a separate part broken exactly in the same place an ASW nose radome would fit. Tail is a separate part, facilitation the addition of a taller HU-16B tail later on.

A few oddities that I am not happy about:

-Later USAF style drop tanks are not included. The kit contains only earlier style tanks.

-Kit parts contain only the later "football" style ADF antenna. This antenna showed up pretty late in the Albatross' career; including the earlier style antenna would be a nice touch.

-For whatever reason the very prominent VHF command and IFF antennas that should be on the HU-16A's tail are not included.

Edited by KursadA

I received my kit today. I didn't have time to take photos today, but let me know if you'd like to see a close-up of any sprue or area. Overall, I think it looks very good in the box and Trumpeter seems to have done a good job. I don't have any plans, but overall wingspan fits the values quoted in the Ginter book exactly.

The surface detailing is very good with engraved panel lines and restrained rivet detail. I think the metal undercarriage is a good touch. There is an almost complete interior and much of seems accurate judging by the interior drawings and photos in the Ginter book.

Trumpeter clearly thought about future versions: the nose radome area is a separate part broken exactly in the same place an ASW nose radome would fit. Tail is a separate part, facilitation the addition of a taller HU-16B tail later on.

A few oddities that I am not happy about:

-Later USAF style drop tanks are not included. The kit contains only earlier style tanks.

-Kit parts contain only the later "football" style ADF antenna. This antenna showed up pretty late in the Albatross' career; including the earlier style antenna would be a nice touch.

-For whatever reason the very prominent VHF command and IFF antennas that should be on the HU-16A's tail are not included.

Looks like a lot of the oddities you mention are shown correctly on the box art. It's possible that Trumpeter used a museum piece with some late or missing features for the kit, but the box artist used contemporary photos of real aircraft. This isn't the first time Trumpeter has had a disconnect between the box art and the kit contents.

Have they said when the B is due out?

If Trumpet Boss is reading this: Shrink it down to 1/72 PLEASE!!! Lose most of the interior and give us a modern 1/72 kit of the Albatross please!!!

If Trumpet Boss is reading this: Shrink it down to 1/72 PLEASE!!! Lose most of the interior and give us a modern 1/72 kit of the Albatross please!!!

I agree. I've pulled my Monogram kit out of the stash to build several times, only to re-shelve it after wondering how to tackle the toy-like features.

I spent some more time today going over the kit during the work to scale my decal designs correctly. I am somewhat impressed with this kit despite the omissions I mentioned before. It looks like Trumpeter got the message about rivets; there are very few engraved rivets in this kit and the panel lines are very crisp.

The dimensions match those published in the Ginter book fairly well. Trumpeter clearly thought about other versions: Triphibian landing gear parts are already there, and a SA-16B will be easily possible with new sprues.

kitphoto1a.jpg

kitphoto2a.jpg

With the understanding that this is not a Canadian variant, any interest in Canadian markings for this one? Other than the engines, I'm not sure what other conversions would be required to bring it to spec. RCAF+3 look really nice on these with the big wide flourescent orange band on it. But it wouldn't be completely accurate without some additional work.

Edited by RiderFan

do any of you know if someone makes the dacals for the Expendables albatross?

I'd say very doubtful. It was a custom scheme for the movie so you would need a license for that.

• 2 months later...