Hi all,

I remember building this kit on my own back in the late 70s. It was the first kit that I recall doing a decent paint job on. I remember staring at it while the paint dried as excited as a kid could be.

MonogramP-47D.jpg

Anyway, I just ordered one from ebay and will begin building it when it arrives.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the P-47 to arrive in the mail so I thought I would start in on another model that I remember building as a kid.

This is the Revell P-40 Tiger Shark. It will be build OOB using the kit decals.

100_2817.jpg

100_2818.jpg

100_2821.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I sadly ran into a snag with the P-40 when I tried to use EZ-Mask to do the camouflage. I am having a very difficult time removing the mask from the model. I haven't given up and will come back to the P-40 later.

My P-47 finally came in the mail this week. It is a re-issue from the 1970s. I noticed right away that the parts were much cleaner then the P-40 kit. I wonder if this is because the P-47 was molded when the molds were relatively new compared to the P-40 which is a recent re-release.

I have been making some good progress on the P-47 building it OOB. I just loved this kit when I was younger and it has been a real trip down memory lane.

Here are some shots.

100_2822.jpg

100_2823.jpg

100_2824.jpg

100_2825.jpg

100_2826.jpg

100_2829.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking.

Rob

Today I managed to get some good workbench time in.

I masked the canopy and sprayed it interior green along with the landing gear bays. Masked the landing gear bays

and primered the entire plane. Did a little sanding here and there to clean up the various joints. I began working

on the wheels and tires, prop, and the cowel painting the red stripe.

100_2830.jpg

100_2831.jpg

This was a great idea for a GB.

I am having as much fun with this kit as I did 35 years ago. I have painted the P-47 and now I just can't wait until it dries and I can remove the masking.

100_2832.jpg

I have now finished the paint, clearcoated the plane, and now I am applying the decals. I was so worried that these old decals would fall apart once they hit the water but they are still in very good shape. The even have taken a little decal set to make them sit nicely. You can sure see the difference between these

old decals from the 70s and the decals we get today in kits.

100_2834.jpg

Still lots of decals to apply and lots of work to finish.

I got a lot more done on the P-47 today.

I guess I spoke to soon regarding the decals. Once I got to the stencils they just started falling apart. :bandhead2:

Oh well, I'll get over it. I was able to get one of them on.

Everything is ready to the point I'll remove the canopy masking tomorrow after everything has had the night to dry.

100_2848.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Rob,

Looks like the older moulding of this kit fits much better than the latest repop. I've had far more fit issues with mine. The wing leading edges and horizontal stabilizers have been especially bad. Seems you avoided most of that.