1/48 Kinetic A-6E

I finished this model about three weeks ago. It's a custom build for a former pilot in VA-52 - who flew the A-6. Goal was to replicate his aircraft as best as possible. First off, this model is definitively not a shake and bake kit, nor is it for the faint of heart. I compare it to the Has. F-14A Tomcat in some ways: over engineered in places, poor fit in many places, and a somewhat difficult building sequence. All that being said, I'm simply glad to have a new tool 1/48 A-6E on the market. The cockpit is fairly nice OOB, but the build called for the aftermarket cockpit from Wolfpack Designs - which was fabulous to work with. Only difficulty was getting it to fit with the intakes installed. Nothing some shaving, carving, and sanding couldn't fix. Another difficult part is the wing-fold. Kinetic certainly intended for the wings to be folded on this model. The option to extend the wings is poorly referenced (if at all) and the fit is less than desirable. However, by far the most difficult part of the build (IMHO) was the windscreen and canopy. This has been documented elsewhere, but the two piece assembly of each is a real headache. Took several days of filling, sanding, polishing, priming - then repeat - to get the right look in the end.

Overall, I'm very happy how this build turned out - especially the custom decals. First time I've created a set completely from scratch.

A few add-ons for the build:

1. copper pipes for the exhaust tubes to replace the two piece plastic ones that come with the kit.

2. wires and other details for the wheel wells and landing gear.

3. nose weight - and a lot of it!

4. small steel rod inserted into landing gear legs, then inserted into the fuselage for stability. With the nose weight, AM cockpit, and weapons, this model is heavy.

5. custom decals printed on my laser printer and designed using inkscape - free vector design program for the Mac. If your not familiar - this program is simply awesome!!

6. trimmed down the vert. stabilizer inset lights (near the Knight's head). Not sure what you call that, but it was way too thick based on reference photos.

7. replaced vert. stab. probe supplied by the kit with a scratch-built metal one.

8. added pilots, seat belts, and detail to the interior dome of the canopy.

9. added steel rods (1/8 inch square) into each wing joint for added stability and proper alignment - definitely needed given the wing down configuration.

Weathering was accomplished by using the following techniques: (a) pre-shading, (cool.gif oil wash, © post shading, (d) pastel dust brushed on in various spots. The model was sealed with a thin coat of future floor wax, and then I applied a thin final coat of Model Master semi-gloss.

I hope you like. Comments, questions, and observations are certainly welcome.

Jim

8260253452_2b4c1e6c80_b.jpg8260194050_62205b9a8f_b.jpg

8259126755_04959b6105_b.jpg8260208582_017a78a9bd_b.jpg8259131089_a27dbf9fbf_b.jpg8259123581_02beed536e_b.jpg8260194922_b04ce091ac_b.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

Av8fan: as for the wings, i spent probably 8 - 12 hours dry-fitting, installing the strengthening rods, adding thin layers of styrene, and trimming to get the joint looking good. And truth be told, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the end result. Here are some pics of the WIP on the wings.

This is what you get out of the box. You can see the fit is very poor and the instructions (as I recall) offer no information on how to configure the wings in the "down" position. You simply have to trim the fold mechanism moldings to get a tight fit, then add back detail with plastic card and styrene. At least that's how I did it. Bottom side was not too troublesome, but the top side proved to be a challenge. The strengthening rods (shown below) proved to be a real help to ensure proper alignment and hold everything together while I worked on it.

8259220011_474d8b1163_m.jpg8259218867_27d017f4be_m.jpgbrass-square-rods-784682.jpg

As for the canopy, I'm sure there is a better way to fill the seams, but this worked for me. I was certainly a little nervous as I've not worked with wide and deep seams in clear plastic before - and I didn't want to screw this up! So, I took small strips of the thinnest Tamiya tape I could find, cut them to length and fit them over the seams (after I'd glued them together). I then applied a small layer of CA glue over the tape seams / joints (particularly on the front windscreen). I then sanded until I was satisfied. Primed with gloss black and repeated the process until all evidence of a seam was gone. I then polished the parts with various grits of sand paper, then progressed to toothpaste, then finally polished it with my wife's silver polish. Masked the canopy and painted them - then they got multiple baths in Future.

Hope that helps . . .

Some of the interior detail.

8260209838_3815230349_m.jpg

Front windscreen: certainly not perfect, but I had to call it "good enough" at some point.

8259145403_0bcc410a69_m.jpg8259170419_dd5fbf5f9c_m.jpg

This is an awesome Intruder. I also use Inkscape and I love it. You did a really great job with the decals. Did you also make the stars and bars?

Thanks for the kind words. I did make the national insignia on white decal paper - came out better than I expected. However, next time, I'll probably steal some from the stash of extra decals. Just wanted to see how difficult it would be using Inkscape.

Jim