"Bald Eagles" CF-100 Air Demonstration Team

Does anyone have any good photos of the 'Bald Eagles', the CF-100 Air Demonstration team operated by OTU #3 in Cold Lake? Specifically, I'm after a clear image of the crest on the side of the engines. The only photo I have is in the Boston Mills book; The CF-100. But it doesn't show the crest very clearly.

thanks in advance

David

David,

I don't have any photos but I know one of the pilots who flew with them. Don Lamont's daughter Susan introduced me to my wife and I've known him and his family for over 30 years. I'll get a hold if him as soon as I can and get back to you with anything he might be willing to share.

Mike

That would be really appreciated Mike.

I have the crest under the windscreen. It's the typical OTU 'Witch' crest. And I think the engine markings is something along those lines, but it's really hard to tell.

thanks

David

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any good photos of the 'Bald Eagles', the CF-100 Air Demonstration team operated by OTU #3 in Cold Lake? Specifically, I'm after a clear image of the crest on the side of the engines. The only photo I have is in the Boston Mills book; The CF-100. But it doesn't show the crest very clearly.

thanks in advance

David

I'm going through Dan Dempsey's book on Canadian Aerobatic teams tonight, stay tuned.

Cheers, Tony

PS--I miss a lot of posts/requests when I'm gone offshore, just trying to catch up lately

PPS--Email sent;references were 'A Tradition of Excellence--Dan Dempsey;Canucks Unlimited--Bob Baglow;Canadian Profile CF-100 Canuck--SMS Publishing/Jim Lyzun

Edited by Snowbird3a
  • 1 month later...

David,

I just got home after spending four hours with Don Lamont and his wife. I'm sorry to say that Don has no personal photographs of his time with the Bald Eagles I even asked him about colour photos of Pogo (440's alligator mascot painted on their Mk 3 and 4 CF-100's) and the best he could was B/W photos from 440's Squadron History published by Hangar Bookshelf.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Mike

Thanks for your efforts Mike.

I did find a few good B&W photos in museum archives and have been able to figure out the colours by the few colour photos of 3OTU. So I think I have what I need.

thanks

David

I am also puzzled, why would one release decals for a kit (1-48th) at least, which is out of production, overpriced when found, and not that good. Unless there is another kit in the works whcih we do not know about ... :whistle:

Unless there is another kit in the works whcih we do not know about ... :whistle:

I was thinking that very thing. Has 'someone' branched off into the injection moulded plastic model business? Besides, to be truly representative of the Bald Eagles the kit must me a CF-100 Mark 3 (with the more pointed nose). Don said the Eagles never flew Mark 4's.

Hi.

The Bald Eagles flew Mk4A's. Every photo I have (or that has been published) shows MK4A's. See Pg 82-83 of Larry Milberry's 'The CF-100' for example.

As for decals, they're just another in a long like of potential subjects.

thanks

David