Revell 1/144 Ariane 4

I have one of these, but I have yet to build it. They are kind of a scarce model as I don't think they were ever reissued after they first came out in 1985 (perhaps in Europe, but certainly not in the states as I've only ever encountered a grand total of one more of these in the states). Indeed in my case, I bought my example when I came across the pond in 2003 to attend Scale Modelworld in Telford, England. I'm certainly glad I made the purchase as the Ariane IV is a nice looking rocket.

The rocket itself looks pretty accurate as it represents the Ariane 44L which had four strap on liquid rocket boosters for the heaviest payloads. Heller also did one in 1/125 (and 1/288), but the engine nozzles and their attachments look more accurate in the Revell kit than the Heller one. Heller also molded four stub fins on their Ariane IV, which I don't believe are accurate while Revell's kit again looks more correct. As for the launch gantry, it is rather nice looking, but I have no idea if it is accurate or not. It looks like at the very least it will need some fuel and oxidizer lines for the rocket stages (and the strap on boosters) if one wants to turn it into something representative of the full size article. But the rocket itself I think will probably do the job just fine.

As for the launch gantry, it is rather nice looking, but I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

It's not, at least in the boxing I have. It's the launch pad/Gantry for earlier-model Ariane versions. The Ariane 4 launch pad is entirely different.

An excellent card model version of the 4 pad is available somewhere. I'll have to find the site.

:coolio:/> Les (The Voice of Authority)