Advice on how to replace a wing tank on an F2H Banshee??

Hello All...

I have been asked to repair a few of the models that VFA-11 has on display in their ready room here at Oceana. One of the models is a 1/48 F2H Banshee. I'm unsure of the original kit manufacturer. I think it may be the old Testors kit. I'm in need of one port side wing fuel tank in 1/48 and my post in the parts forum has me coming up dry.

Does anyone have any advice on what options I could use to replace the tank? I think I can find the kit for sale but I'm trying to avoid purchasing the complete kit just to source the tank.

After a bit more searching I think the kit could be the Collect-Aire Resin's 1/48 Scale Banshee. The built model is heavy and solid. I'm thinking this could infact be the old Collect-Aire Resin's 1/48 Scale Banshee resin kit.

Here is a picture of the model in question. Any help or direction would help.

Thanks

DSCN2305_zps10c35aac.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

I'd be inclined to use the tank from the opposite wing as a source of measurements and make a pattern from it.

As long as it's a constant diameter cylinder for a good part of it's length, it would simply be a matter of finding some tubing of the right size and then building up the ends with epoxy putty and sanding to suit. Auxiliary fuel tanks are not that hard to scratch build in the larger picture and it probably would be cheaper, in material costs anyway, than trying to track down a kit to canibalise.

I would recommend trying to find someone who could cast a mold of the remaining tank and reproduce it in resin. The problem is that Collect-Aire is now defunct and there has been no other quarter scale kit, other than the less than optimal Testors kit, so other than scrathbuilding there is no available source for parts. I would recommend contacting Mike West of Lone Star Models, if he can't help, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/

HTH,

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

Hey, those are mine! Are you telling me they still exist? I can't believe it! I figured they would have grown legs and walked off by now. I did the entire history of VF-11, from their F6C Hawk up to their Super Hornet. There were two CA kits (the F2H and the F3D) as well as an RVHP kit (FF-1). I had a few hundred dollars invested in those builds. If you want to pop off the other tank, I'll cast it and get it back to you. Wow, I'm still in shock at seeing that model! :jaw-dropping:/>/>/>/>/> Here is how some of them looked when they got sent off to the Rippers.

bigbanshee.JPG

ff1.JPG

wildcat2.jpg

skynight.JPG

sh1.JPG

crusader.JPG

Darren and all thanks for the replies...

It is a small modeling world.

Yes, all the models are there and they look good other than the ones that I'm trying to repair. They are nice builds. When I picked them up I knew they had to be done by a modeler with some skills.

I would really appreciate the help. My big concern is the tank. The missing wheel I can probably source or come up with an adequate replacement. I'll drop you a PM now.

Edited by Rhinolover

I would think you could pick up an old Hawk or Testors Banshee on eBay for less than it would cost in molds and resin to cast a tank and surely less trouble than scratchbuilding one.

The problem is that the Testors/Hawk kit may not have the same shape tiptanks as the Collect-Aire kit which was used in the build.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the Banshee was a repaint. I had originally done it in VF-102 markings without tip tanks. When -11 asked me to build their history, I repainted it, but couldn't find the resin tip tanks. I used the tip tanks from the Testor's kit. So, if you can find one of those, it actually might be cheaper than casting.