Minuteman Hobbies in Braintree, MA is closing

Another one bites the dust. Sad.

That's why I try to do my part. I know I can buy most everything cheaper online, but my local guy is available now (not that I often need it 'right now', but still. Plus, now my local guy is an hour away by highway. Side benefit though, there is a Fuddruckers and a Del Taco near it!

I know the stock has been pretty parse for awhile but Doug just isn't making the business to renew stock.

Today he's mentioned that he's going to close up at the end of the month.

I've lived on the S. Shore for the last 20 years or so and have never heard of the place. I work in Norwell, wish I had known there was another shop close by. Sad to see another local outfit go under.

If you haven't, you might want to check out Hanson Hobby in (obviously) Hanson. Nice guy runs it. kind of a ramshackle operation but he's got a pretty decent inventory of plastic kits plus a nice selection of paint, etc.

Aside from that, the only other shops that I hit in MA are in Marlboro (can't recall the name but it's an awesome shop) and Centerline Hobbies on the Cape.

Aside from that, the only other shops that I hit in MA are in Marlboro (can't recall the name but it's an awesome shop) and Centerline Hobbies on the Cape.

Place in Marlboro is called The Spare Time Shop. Very well stocked shop. I make a trip down there once a month or so. There is also Hobby Emporium up in Tyngsboro. Has a very well stocked kit selection and most available paints. The Hobby Bunker is down in Malden, the kit selection is not all that great but he does buy collections so every now and then he has some rarity in there.

NOOO! this is a most unpleasant surprise. i grew up on the south shore and once or twice a month my father and i would make the trek to hanson hobbies and then onto minuteman. I have not been in quite a while as i no longer live on the south shore or in boston. it was great having a good hobby shop near the city and i like it a lot more than hanson hobbies. very sad news indeed. alas, if you are ever on the cape i highly recommend paying a visit to centerline hobbies in hyannis. they are wonderful folks and keep a great stock of plastic kits, trains, paints, and tools. i hope doug ends up alright.

• 2 months later...

"If you haven't, you might want to check out Hanson Hobby in (obviously) Hanson. Nice guy runs it. kind of a ramshackle operation but he's got a pretty decent inventory of plastic kits plus a nice selection of paint, etc"

Doesn't offer club discounts, everything top price. Hal Sr.

You Mass. People might also want to check out Harry's Hobbies in masnfield, just off I-495. Hal Sr

Harry has decent selection of current kits and supplies. Prices are about the same as Spare Time Shop in Marlborough but he doesn't have the same selection (kits, supplies or books). It's a nice shop, I just don't like the pricing tactics he has started doing. I used drop in there every now and again. He used to have good prices on used kits he acquired buying collections. I used to find some great deals in there and often would drop quite a bit on my visits. Nowadays he charges full retail prices for used kits (even older kits). That just isn't good business in my book, especially when you're getting the collection kits for pennies on the dollar.

He's an hour south of me so I very rarely bother driving down there since he started doing that pricing nonsense on the used kits. I'm fortunate that I have the Spare Time Shop and Hobby Emporium both within 35-40 minutes of the house.

Yeah MinuteMan is closed...but the website is STILL ACTIVE. I found out the hard way that it was closed...even though I assumed(my bad) that because the website was active, it was open...

When Minuteman Hobby\Hobbies is Googled...the first link is to the active website....

People in South East Mass and Rhode Island can also go to Apponaug Color Shop http://hobbyri.com/ and AA Hobbies http://www.aahobbies.com ...both in RI near Green Airport.

Both, in my opinion, are worth a visit, but if you're a car modeler AA no longer carries kits...just diecast automotive subjects. Apponaug is a must if you are a car modeler, with a great selection and really decent prices compared to other shops in the area.

I live 10 minutes from Harry's in Norton, and buy all my supplies there.