After a long video hiatus resulting from working on the new "beany cap," I have finally taken the time to put together Shuttle Wars, Part 16.

I am trying to keep them shorter, less than ten minutes, to make them easier to digest.

Here it is:

Thanks for watching!

r/Gil

Gil,

I just watched Part 16. I think you struck a good balance of showing the actual work and the various steps of the progress. Well done!

I really like the way you installed the sheet styrene in the wings for the landing gear doors. The tab you made will also add some strength to the wing connection. It looks nice and clean.

Mike.

Sorry you could not light the orbiter flight deck. Question: With the wires running into the landing gear bay, where did you plan to put the battery? Were you going to run the wires down into the display base? How would you have hidden the wires?

Have you thought of compiling each installment on a dvd for sale, ala Phil Flory, when your done? I'd buy one! Great build btw!!

That is an idea. It might be easier and simpler than YouTubing it for some, especially for those with slower connections. We will see. Let's get the things built first! We still have a ways to go. BTW, thanks for your compliment. Although I think I am pretty good, I don't pretend to know everything. We all learn as we build. Each build has its unique issues, and some are worse than others. My goal with the Revell/Monogram Shuttle Wars series is to try to uncover the problem areas of these old, dated molds, and find ways to address them. I have had some successes and failures. My failures, and the workaround solutions developed as a result, will hopefully make it a little easier for those that follow. Although there have been some excellent 1/72 shuttle build threads out there with great pics, techniques, etc, I don't know that anyone has attempted a detailed video documentation until now.

Sorry you could not light the orbiter flight deck. Question: With the wires running into the landing gear bay, where did you plan to put the battery? Were you going to run the wires down into the display base? How would you have hidden the wires?

The plan in the beginning was to keep the Revell raised tile and set the whole orbiter on a one way lighted mirror display. The lights would shine up through the mirror, lighting the belly tiles, which could then be viewed in full relief using the mirror. In addition, I was going to light the cockpit as an extra bonus. Once I decided to sand of the raised tile detail, then that took away a bit of my "action" and underneath lighting was no longer as attractive, although I was still going to do it. What nixed it for good was when I got the crazing of the flight deck windows. I am still not completely sure how that happened. I want to think it is from sanding stress, but I can't be sure. It could have been caused by solvent vapors coming off of the putty in an enclosed space. The lesson learned is to install the windows before you glue the forward fuselage halves together, so that way if you have to work on them from the inside to get them looking good, you can.

To answer your original question, the wiring was going to run tightly down the right main gear strut, into the base, and be connected to the wiring under the mirror; from that to an AC adapter into a wall outlet.

So now that has all gone out the window. I am going to finish out the beanie cap and get both the Monogram and Revell shuttle bodies completed. Then it will be on to paint work and decals.

Edited by DutyCat