A couple of questions about the Dragon M1 kits

I've got a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me out with here on the Dragon Abrams kits.

1. I've seen the M1A1 AIM kits back out...Are they going to be re-releasing the A2 SEP as well?

2. Is the USMC version updated like the AIM and SEP kits are, or is that an older mold?

3. Is the Cyberhobby "orange" boxing with the crew any good?

Thank's for the help guys.

Aaron

I've got a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me out with here on the Dragon Abrams kits.

1. I've seen the M1A1 AIM kits back out...Are they going to be re-releasing the A2 SEP as well?

2. Is the USMC version updated like the AIM and SEP kits are, or is that an older mold?

3. Is the Cyberhobby "orange" boxing with the crew any good?

Thank's for the help guys.

Aaron

1. Maybe, it is a good possible.

2. It is the old mold. You can use the AIM kit plus some Tamiya parts to make a Marine hog.

3. It's the old mold, which has been replaced as the kit to get by the new mold. http://missinglinks2.tripod.com/M1.pdf

HTH

Yes, the SEP was rereleased. Check ebay. The SEP and the AIM kits are the two best Abrams kits out there. If you want to convert the AIM to a USMC one, check out Perfect Scale Modelbau. they have 2 conversions, one for a regular USMC and one for a USMC tank currently serving in Afghanistan

Yes, the SEP was rereleased. Check ebay. The SEP and the AIM kits are the two best Abrams kits out there. If you want to convert the AIM to a USMC one, check out Perfect Scale Modelbau. they have 2 conversions, one for a regular USMC and one for a USMC tank currently serving in Afghanistan

No luck on E-bay. I checked the other day, which is why I asked this question, and just checked again now, and there's nothing on there.

Thank's Tank for the heads-up! Looks like I'll get the AIM or wait a while and see if the SEP does pop up. I would kind of like to do a USMC machine, as my kids and I were able to sit in one at a Toys for Tots event last week.

Aaron

ps. I know it is good...Any recommendations for aftermarket on the Dragon kit? I'd probably be doing a state-side tank, so I don't need the TUSK kits...Correct?

Edited by strikeeagle801

How about things like tracks and the gun barrel? Decent OOB, or should I look into aftermarket? As my first armor kit, I'm not looking forward to the link and length track...I think it may be above my skill level. Is there an alternitive?

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

How about things like tracks and the gun barrel? Decent OOB, or should I look into aftermarket? As my first armor kit, I'm not looking forward to the link and length track...I think it may be above my skill level. Is there an alternitive?

Aaron

The new kit has some nice rubber band in the box you can use IIRC. Guess not. It has a metal barrel already which should be good.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/dml3535reviewcs_1.html

More M1 stuff http://vodnik.republika.pl/pages/m1-comparison/m1comp1.htm

I wouldn't use it as a first armor kit though. I would go with something like the Tamiya Sherman, T-34, or Tiger for a first kit IMHO.

Keep watching ebay. Right around the time they were released, I received all kinds of alerts from Ebay. Most likely everyone else was waiting for them too and snatched up the first shipments.

The tracks in the SEP kit are great- DS T-158LL tracks with seperate open guid horns representing the newer type of track. The AIM tracks are OK, but are the older T-158 with solid guid horns. Some of AIMS currently have the T-158LL tracks, for example most of the pictures of USMC AIMs in Afghanistan I have have the newer tracks. Bronco makes a set and they are really nice

I like Eduards PE set for AM

Someone posted some pics of an M1A2 SEP state side that had the TUSK I armor on the sides and a CROWS 2 weapon station, but I would think most wouldn't have it.

The Dragon AIM ans SEP are pretty complete and don't need any additional PE. They already come with a large amount in the box. Likewise, they come with very nice metal barrels too.

TUSK was only fitted to US Army and USMC tanks in Iraq, and currently pieces (not all, no ERA side blocks) of it are on USMC tanks in A'stan. If you see a tank stated as in the US with TUSK, it is in transit or a demonstrator vehicle.

jwest already covered the tracks.

As to the SEP w/ CROWS 2, that is called the M1A2 SEP v.2 tank. It is becoming more common as more units are fielded with them. 3 ID received a bunch of them in the summer of '11. They are pretty nice. The TUSK is not part of th ebasic package though, so don't associate the two together.

m1a2_abrams_sep_v2_by_ryankrafthefer-d4nj308.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The new kit has some nice rubber band in the box you can use IIRC. Guess not. It has a metal barrel already which should be good.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/dml3535reviewcs_1.html

More M1 stuff http://vodnik.republika.pl/pages/m1-comparison/m1comp1.htm

I wouldn't use it as a first armor kit though. I would go with something like the Tamiya Sherman, T-34, or Tiger for a first kit IMHO.

Another option as an 'easier' model might be the original Tamiya M1. I know it is nowhere near as 'complete' as the newest Dragon kits, but it went together well and definitely looked the part.

And no, it wouldn't be a USMC one, because I don't think they used 105 gunned M1s.

Edited by IrishGreek