FEAR THE BONES.....VF-84 JOLLY ROGERS...

Oh I say 'olmes...jolly good show ol' man;you never disappoint. Amazing how VF-84 is still the only US jet fighter unit to have two A6M kills to their credit :rolleyes::whistle: . whaddaya mean that was a movie..a kill is a kill B) :lol:

I liked that part around 9:05 where the camera is fixed on the pilots hands and feet. I gained a whole new appreciation for those guys that flew that thing back in 2004. I was an ordnance tech for VF-143 at the time and for my re-enlistment, I managed to talk one of our RIO's and my Gunner into getting me into the sim labs. I would have like a back seat ride, but some nimrod admiral had just ejected himself out somewhere over the sunny Nevada desert about a year before, so the Navy was kind of restricting access to the back seat for a while. However, while in the sim, I learned how much work it really takes to make one of these things go. I did really well with it, but you definitely realize that it's like trying to drive an RC car with an 18 wheeler steering wheel.

I liked that part around 9:05 where the camera is fixed on the pilots hands and feet. I gained a whole new appreciation for those guys that flew that thing back in 2004. I was an ordnance tech for VF-143 at the time and for my re-enlistment, I managed to talk one of our RIO's and my Gunner into getting me into the sim labs. I would have like a back seat ride, but some nimrod admiral had just ejected himself out somewhere over the sunny Nevada desert about a year before, so the Navy was kind of restricting access to the back seat for a while. However, while in the sim, I learned how much work it really takes to make one of these things go. I did really well with it, but you definitely realize that it's like trying to drive an RC car with an 18 wheeler steering wheel.

In many ways it is an "old school" jet. Underpowered engines, VG wings, analog instrumentation, hydraulic everything, complicated and hard to maintain electronics, and plumbing for Phoenix missile coolant. Grumman built a complicated aircraft with 60s technology. What kept it going was its brutish capability. The new engines allowed the airframe to finally realize its potential, although not every squadron got them.

Edited by DutyCat